Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Opinion on fair compensation for major delay (12+ hours) due to CX issue

Old May 8, 2019, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Background is that I was scheduled for BOS-HKG-BKK and there was an issue on the ground. The BOS-HKG flight never boarded and all passengers were forced to pick up check-in bags and the flight was "delayed" by 20 hours but technically not canceled.

The ground staff was of no help, not even for cab voucher. They were only providing those to transit passengers and refusing to help people who didn't also need a hotel voucher. My first call to the HK center, the agent rather incredibly suggested that since I was "checked in" she couldn't rebook me. Never mind the 20-hour delay which guarantees a missed connection - nothing she could do.

Second call got me an agent who realize the absurdity and rebooked me via KE for arrival 12 hours later than planned.

Fast forward by a week - Cathay customer service is offering only 7k Asia Miles and *maybe* crediting me for the miles for the un-taken flights. This is even though the agent acknowledge it was their fault that the flight was delayed for 20+ hours.

I don't really think this is a fair deal, but I don't fly CX that often on paid-fare. What do people think?

Am I likely to get a better offer by persisting? Any suggested alternative avenues to escalate?
Old May 8, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
7k RDMs + Original Routing Credit is actually quite decent. Certain airlines will pass off mechanical delays as "circumstances beyond their control" and refuse to compensate period. And refuse to protect you on other airlines.

If you missed a scheduled commitment in BKK or bought a last minute Flex fare I sympathise. But then again the risk is borne by any traveller...that's what travel insurance is for.
Often1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation due for a US departure. Thus, anything you receive is a customer service gesture in the discretion of CX. While the taxi voucher seems a bit picky, it is fairly usual not to reimburse ground expenses for originating passengers. This ought to be covered by your travel insurance.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You view might be from a spoiled European perspective where EC261 is the norm. With a very few exceptions, the rest of the world is different.
It is more "these things can happen", as they do with many things in life and transport.

CX was "fair" in providing hotels for the long delay. They were nice in rerouting you on KE. Decent in giving you some miles and probably credit the un-taken flight.
To answer your precise questions about "opinions", personally think it was a fair deal for a Y pax and I don't see any recourse you would have to elevate or pursue in legal proceedings.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by brunos; May 8, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old May 8, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Actually based in the US, the Cambridge is not the British one.

Thanks for the feedback - my experience in dealing with domestic carriers is that they're usually willing to give significantly more than 7k RDM's for a major delay.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Actually based in the US, the Cambridge is not the British one.

Thanks for the feedback - my experience in dealing with domestic carriers is that they're usually willing to give significantly more than 7k RDM's for a major delay.
Yea this is true, the US Big 3 throw out mileage like drunken sailors. It's a bad precedent, if nothing but to train the American traveling public that is normal behavior, when in fact it's a uniquely American phenomenon. (Although perhaps it IS actually well deserved, given the torture flying domestically on those carriers in the US half the time.........). Anyway, overall CX is a good carrier but bad things happen. No it's not your entitlement to milk the carrier for extras when it happens. However, they should do something "reasonable". That includes putting you up, getting something like the KE alternative, etc.

Another thing that's different with the US is the feelings of the customer. Generally, if a US Big 3 inevitably is rude to you on the first few gos around, you can "use that" against them to give you more later. So they'll apologize both for the delay and the service mishap. This is also not how CX works. Obviously, it's frustrating when the airline doesn't "get it" at first, as you described. But if CX got you a reasonable solution, even if they didn't do it right at first, you shouldn't expect even more due to hurt feelings from the initial mishap. Their attitude will be "we got you the good result in the end, correct?" Different approach - in the US they must apologize and give you more for what you described at length about them initially not putting you on KE and the back and forth. Just note that's a US thing, and while not wrong it's not universal. I'm from the US, but have grown to appreciate the way things are handled here, and really scratch my head at the Big 3 approach. But it's true, you guys suffer so much on those flights overall perhaps all the comp is deserved.

It's also normal policy for them to give out duty free vouchers on board for those types of delay, did they give any? eDIT: forgot you took KE. Yea pax on the CX flight likely got the vouchers. I think by accepting KE you probably gave that up.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't really think this is a fair deal, but I don't fly CX that often on paid-fare. What do people think?
Fair or not, it is not the matter. CX is not the kind of airlines that compensates pax, even when EC261/2004 applies.

Am I likely to get a better offer by persisting? Any suggested alternative avenues to escalate?
You can claim the compensation under Montreal. But that means you have to be ready for court.

This is an important lesson to you - Next time - fly UA, not CX.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by garykung
This is an important lesson to you - Next time - fly UA, not CX.
If RDM is what you are looking for
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
If RDM is what you are looking for
UA does have ETC in $$ value.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
UA does have ETC in $$ value.
and a connection to offer to Cambridge pax as well
Old May 8, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
and a connection to offer to Cambridge pax as well
UA does have an arrangement with Amtrak.

So if UA can't rebook OP to another BOS-EWR flight, UA can rebook on Amtrak, or even BOS-ORD/SFO-HKG.

But these are immaterial now because OP chooses CX, not UA. In that case, OP will need to follow CX's playbook.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
You may want to write back detailing your ordeal and say you want more than 7K...they might give you 10K
Old May 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by Unionruler
7k RDMs + Original Routing Credit is actually quite decent. .
Dont know OP's status. IF OP is a DM, I think he/she could ask for more AMs.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Fair or not, it is not the matter. CX is not the kind of airlines that compensates pax, even when EC261/2004 applies.

I am not sure what you mean, but CX abides by the law for flights originating from EU. I am not aware that they refuse compensation when due according to EC261/2004.
Of course, the case of "extraordinary circumstances" is always a sticky issue with ALL airlines.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I am not sure what you mean, but CX abides by the law for flights originating from EU. I am not aware that they refuse compensation when due according to EC261/2004.
Does CX pay everyone on the flights when EC261/2004 remedy applies to the flights?

Here is your answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.