Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Advice needed for connecting flight tonight!

URGENT! Advice needed for connecting flight tonight!

Old May 14, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
Have you complained that agent. It was still only in final call and the agent meeting you should bring you to the connecting gate ASAP!
Yes I did but he refused
I also booked the chaperon/ connection service from WFS so I had two buggy waiting for me. She was very nice but useless.
The only good thing was to fly the A350 with the mini J cabin just for me )
I was able to book a last minute buggy service at BKK and it was very useful, definitely worth it and the price was very reasonable. (same company than HKG but different price)

By the way, "Chaperon" sometimes use the employee line at security / transfer and sometimes not. YCMV
Old May 14, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Have you complained that agent. It was still only in final call and the agent meeting you should bring you to the connecting gate ASAP!
It sounds like that the OP had a "satellite" connection, meaning the KA island (sometimes called North satellite). And still has to clear security.Not sure how a buggy can transfer from arrival level (before security) to departure level (after security).
It means that you have to go all the way to gates 500 after you clear security. Then, you wait for the next bus to the satellite. The bus often has to wait for planes crossing, then a fairly long walk to the gate.
CX had probably scheduled the buggy before knowing the delay as a 65min transfer to the satellite is doable and speeded up a little bit by a buggy. But HKG air space can get crowded and if you disembark 40min before the next flight there is no hope for a satellite departure unless plane is scheduled with a delay.So they used their buggy to get you to the transfer desk.

When the bridge to the satellite opens, that might be faster.

Last edited by brunos; May 15, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old May 14, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by CGRA
Yes I did but he refused
I also booked the chaperon/ connection service from WFS so I had two buggy waiting for me. She was very nice but useless.
The only good thing was to fly the A350 with the mini J cabin just for me )
I was able to book a last minute buggy service at BKK and it was very useful, definitely worth it and the price was very reasonable. (same company than HKG but different price)

By the way, "Chaperon" sometimes use the employee line at security / transfer and sometimes not. YCMV
If booking a "protected" connection does not guarantee you make the flight which the gate hasn't been closed yet, I won't consider this airline at a high priority when connecting. The official CX-CX MCT is 50 minutes and it's only 5 minutes below that after delay, I expect the airline to run the passenger immediately to the gate to make up that 5 minutes.

I have encountered a scenario where a flight is held because an incoming flight where connecting passengers came from was slightly late.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have encountered a scenario where a flight is held because an incoming flight where connecting passengers came from was slightly late.
In fairness, that is certainly not the norm with any of the airlines that I fly (and I am a regular on about 30 different of them including many majors in Europe, North America, Asia, and Oceania).

There are specific cases when flights might be held of course: e.g. a lot of passengers from a late flight are connecting on the service, this is the last service of the day, the flight is expected to have a short flight time so can make up for a delay and the next one is full, etc. Beyond those specific cases (for which CX is neither more nor less likely than others to hold a plane), however, anyone expecting the plane for him/her in this day and age is in for some fairly severe disillusion.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In fairness, that is certainly not the norm with any of the airlines that I fly (and I am a regular on about 30 different of them including many majors in Europe, North America, Asia, and Oceania).

There are specific cases when flights might be held of course: e.g. a lot of passengers from a late flight are connecting on the service, this is the last service of the day, the flight is expected to have a short flight time so can make up for a delay and the next one is full, etc. Beyond those specific cases (for which CX is neither more nor less likely than others to hold a plane), however, anyone expecting the plane for him/her in this day and age is in for some fairly severe disillusion.
I was taking Azerbaijan Airline, there were few people (less than half full) on the 767 when boarding time was up, but the plane was held until connecting passengers filled the plane. That was GYD-PEK route, a three-weekly long-haul service.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I lived in the Bay Area, I flew UA to China (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) quite often, and all 3 of those flights were frequently held for connecting passengers
Old May 15, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I was taking Azerbaijan Airline, there were few people (less than half full) on the 767 when boarding time was up, but the plane was held until connecting passengers filled the plane. That was GYD-PEK route,
a three-weekly long-haul service.

[Emphasis mine] That's exactly one of the special cases that I mentioned in my post! (last service of the day) except that in your case that is even worse because as the service was only 3 weekly, not only was there no more service the next day but there wasn't even one the day after! Again, in this case, keeping the plane waiting would be frequent with all airlines, CX included. This is entirely different from the case of CGRA who could be accommodated the same day.

Originally Posted by moondog
When I lived in the Bay Area, I flew UA to China (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) quite often, and all 3 of those flights were frequently held for connecting passengers
Again, would there have been another UA flight from SFO to the destination that same day for passengers who'd miss this one? If not see above and see my earlier post about exceptions when this is the last flight of the day to the destination.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by etkuo
There is a difference between a risk-taker and simply irrational. Reading all your posts I feel like it's the later.

They are not your personal assistant. If your onward flight is also on CX then maybe, but passing a message from CX to VS like that? Not a chance..

You did this to yourself... Will be pretty hard to find sympathy here.

This is just contradicting. You said you are a risk-taker, but you were worrying for the whole flight and came on FT freaking out for help...

Anyways good on OP for making the "connection", but I think more tough lesson is in order before he/she will learn.
You must be a bundle of laughs at parties.......
Old May 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

On my example it did cost money to CX as they rebook me on a CX plus Bangkok airways. Still much cheaper than holding an entire plane for at least 10 mns.

Side question : on the way back I did arrive in a « satellite » terminal which was connected to the main terminal by train.
Is there 2 « satellites » terminal one accessible by train and the other one by bus (pending a bridge) ?

Thank you for your help.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CGRA
Side question : on the way back I did arrive in a « satellite » terminal which was connected to the main terminal by train.
Is there 2 « satellites » terminal one accessible by train and the other one by bus (pending a bridge) ?

Thank you for your help.
Yes, there is the 200s satellite which is connected by train. There are also lounges.

There is the 500s satellite which is like a bus terminus serving mainly LCCs.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
Yes, there is the 200s satellite which is connected by train. There are also lounges.

There is the 500s satellite which is like a bus terminus serving mainly LCCs.
I don't think that the gates 200s are called satellite.

The North satellite (also known by insiders as Dragon island) is not mainly serving LCCs. The major airline there is KA (Cathay Dragon). Some Non-LCC Chinese airlines are also using it.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I don't think that the gates 200s are called satellite.

The North satellite (also known by insiders as Dragon island) is not mainly serving LCCs. The major airline there is KA (Cathay Dragon). Some Non-LCC Chinese airlines are also using it.
thank you I have learnt something.
So most probably my Cathay dragon was departing from the 500 gates.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

[Emphasis mine] That's exactly one of the special cases that I mentioned in my post! (last service of the day) except that in your case that is even worse because as the service was only 3 weekly, not only was there no more service the next day but there wasn't even one the day after! Again, in this case, keeping the plane waiting would be frequent with all airlines, CX included. This is entirely different from the case of CGRA who could be accommodated the same day.

Again, would there have been another UA flight from SFO to the destination that same day for passengers who'd miss this one? If not see above and see my earlier post about exceptions when this is the last flight of the day to the destination.
many airlines would do it to flights to/from many countries and many airlines would also not hold up a flight for many connections to/from other countries.
but hong kong is not china no matter what is spoken of upthread.

and seems like his experience is just to hong kong with a non cx airline, which is off topic - and i do not see how a non cx connection from UA at peking or shanghai relates to the cx forum
DiamondMile likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.