Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Large sized valuables - better in personal closet or FA closet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

Hi,

So I need to bring back a large bag without the box (I think it will be way outside the carry on size limit) for a family member. Ideally, I'd like to keep it in new condition and not use it before gifting it.

In your guys' past experiences and given the nature of the product, is it safer/better to store it inside the personal closet at the seat or see if the FAs are able to store it in the coat closet and for the closet, do they have another closet on the plane with a lock as if I recall correctly, anyone can open the coat closets.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

During one of my flights, I had a larger than usual carry on, which made for a tight fit, especially with my jacket. They suggested and offered to store it in the closet in front, where I got the impression there was ample space and may store things considerably larger than the seat closet. This was in 2A/K, where I think it's larger than 1A/K?

Assuming your box fits, I'm sure they can store it there.

PS - I'd assume it's safer in the FA closet, unless you were planning to stay awake the entire flight. There have been a few times when traveling with some very important documents that I stayed awake the entire flight just to keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Visconti; May 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: PS...
Old May 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My understanding is that crew insist on people not storing valuables in common closets. For example, several times, when my coat was a bit heavy, I was asked if I had left any wallet or money in as I should keep those. On the plus side, unlike cash, it's not as though anyone could discretely walk off the plane with a large bag, so if I were you, I'd wrap it in something unconspicuous and keep it in your closet.

That said, if you say that this is largely above the carry on size limit, are you not worried that they will refuse for you to take it onboard and force you to check it instead? Or do you mean that without the box it will then fit the allowed limits?
Old May 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Thanks for all the replies!

What I mean is that the bag is within carry on limits but it's just the box that's for sure over limits.

I'm worried that putting in the personal closet may deform it since the interior shape isn't a regular shape and the wear and tear on some aircraft results in one needing to sort of slam or force the door shut and with the duvet bag and my carry on, I'm not sure it'll fit unless the duvet kit can be removed during takeoff/landing

I guess another option would be to put it under the ottoman but I don't recall if it fits something as big as a carry on suitcase as I normally just put my personal/smaller items there.

On a side note, are there additional closets aside from the regular coat closets on the plane? I'm assuming these might be out of reach of the pax but also might just be for crew use only
Old May 6, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
if what you are bringing is what i am thinkkng, use a normal carrier bag (wing on, say) has as big a bag as u can get. wrap ur valuable bag and put it in the above bag.

as to the box- i never carry the box for others - for import duty reasons. is it an option to let your family/friend pick it in hk or take it the next trip
Old May 6, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by hl176
I guess another option would be to put it under the ottoman but I don't recall if it fits something as big as a carry on suitcase as I normally just put my personal/smaller items there.
A standard cabin-bag size does fit under the ottoman. I've done it plenty of times. It sticks out a bit but I've never had objections from the crew.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
A standard cabin-bag size does fit under the ottoman. I've done it plenty of times. It sticks out a bit but I've never had objections from the crew.
they do complain
Old May 6, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Theft can still happen from the FA's closet but if it does happen, it's more likely to be cash than anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.