Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Business Class tickets cancel and refund best way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

My in laws were to fly in Cathay Business class in August from Dubai to San Francisco and due to medical emergency both tickets needs to be canceled as they will not be able to travel anymore. What is the best way to cancel the tickets to get the refund issued? Is there a 100% refund possible due to medical emergency. We can produce certificates of their illness and medical treatment.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Do you mind posting the ticket type and fare rules?

If they're nonrefundable, the bad news is you're probably SOL. There isn't a provision I'm aware of where you get a refund if you have a medical situation before.

However, most biz tickets are refundable with a charge, I don't think there are many non-refundable tickets if you haven't started the journey yet. (If they're halfway through the journey though, forget about it). I don't think you can get the charge waived.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry for the op’s in law and I hope their situation improves swiftly. However, i don’t think we can ever repeat this enough: everyone who would mind losing their ticket is something went wrong should get travel insurance. If airlines routinely allowed passengers to get a refund anyway when they get ill, have an accident, or a problem on their way to the airport, nobody would need or buy them.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Thanks for both the responses.
The trip is yet to start.
The planned itinerary begins in August. We didn't get any travel insurance yet.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

From the ticket receipt, I am seeing their fare care is Business class (I).
Old May 1, 2019, 1:05 pm

Checking ita, an I fare has a 750 aed cancellation fee.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
If travel insurance has not already been purchased, it would now be fraudulent to purchase it now in the knowledge that you need to cancel with the intent to claim. This is a useful example to highlight that the moment you book some travel, if you intend to purchase insurance for a trip you should do so as soon after booking as possible.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Why not give CX a call? CX has been on the more lenient side when you have extraordinary circumstances provided that you can give them satisfactory proof
trooper likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
Why not give CX a call? CX has been on the more lenient side when you have extraordinary circumstances provided that you can give them satisfactory proof
thanks all. These responses helps before my call to Cathay Pacific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.