Replacement of CX's A330 fleet?

Old May 1, 19, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Replacement of CX's A330 fleet?

I think that many of CX's A330's have become quite old (15+ years), but I am not aware of any replacement plans. So what will be the future backbones for CX's short-haul and mid-haul flights? Will CX buy more A330's? A350 and B77W will simply be too large for short-haul and mid-haul flights, right?
Old May 1, 19, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
I think that many of CX's A330's have become quite old (15+ years), but I am not aware of any replacement plans. So what will be the future backbones for CX's short-haul and mid-haul flights? Will CX buy more A330's? A350 and B77W will simply be too large for short-haul and mid-haul flights, right?
6 of the oldest KA A330s are disappearing and 6 old-ish CX regional config ones are being transferred over in the next 18 months. The cycled/houred out equipment will continue to be retired.

Still plenty of life left (10+ years) in most of the A330s. I suspect CX will continue trickling the old equipment to KA who will flog them to death until the scrapyard calls.

32 A350s delivered since mid-2016 to replace 5 B77W, 4(?) A340s, 3 B744 and 8 (soon to be 14) A330s. Seems like the regional replacement is either the A350 itself, or the B77W as the A350 continues to see nearly every longhaul route. (Only JNB/LHR/MXP/JFK/LAX/BOS/ORD don't see the Airbus, and still 16 A350s are to be delivered).

The A330CEO is more efficient than the NEO on the routes CX operates it regionally, so I don't see an order likely there. Maybe taking on young/mid-life off-lease ones like AC is doing would be financially smart.

I could see the 787-10 appearing to replace A330s longer term, maybe even with a deal on reducing the semi white elephant 777-9 order. But that's just a small probability, CX likely got such a steal on the 21 current orders that they'll take them.
Old May 1, 19, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by winnipegrev View Post
6 of the oldest KA A330s are disappearing and 6 old-ish CX regional config ones are being transferred over in the next 18 months. The cycled/houred out equipment will continue to be retired.

Still plenty of life left (10+ years) in most of the A330s. I suspect CX will continue trickling the old equipment to KA who will flog them to death until the scrapyard calls.

32 A350s delivered since mid-2016 to replace 5 B77W, 4(?) A340s, 3 B744 and 8 (soon to be 14) A330s. Seems like the regional replacement is either the A350 itself, or the B77W as the A350 continues to see nearly every longhaul route. (Only JNB/LHR/MXP/JFK/LAX/BOS/ORD don't see the Airbus, and still 16 A350s are to be delivered).

The A330CEO is more efficient than the NEO on the routes CX operates it regionally, so I don't see an order likely there. Maybe taking on young/mid-life off-lease ones like AC is doing would be financially smart.

I could see the 787-10 appearing to replace A330s longer term, maybe even with a deal on reducing the semi white elephant 777-9 order. But that's just a small probability, CX likely got such a steal on the 21 current orders that they'll take them.
Thanks for your reply! Very informative for me. I am surprised that the A330-CEO is actually more efficient than the NEO version for CX's regional flights. I was indeed thinking why CX did not get the A330-NEO's.
Old May 1, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC
Has HLJ left the fleet? It has not been flying for so long
Old May 1, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat
Have all along been wondering the same too. For LH fleet, obviously itíll be A350 and 777X. For regional, especially after a few years when the A330/773 get even older, and without any order placed for replacement, really donít have much clue about the future fleet other than LH substitutes. In this case, CX may need a very large LH fleet so as to have enough spare capacity to cover regional routes.