Everything delayed today (lately)

Old Apr 30, 19, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Everything delayed today (lately)

Ive been in lounges hours listening to announcements of ongoing delays... everywhere.. HK seems fine.

whether PVG or PER or PNH are literal hrs late

Are we reaching a point that lack of crew/ maintenance / whatever have caught up with CX?

6/6 of my last departures both long and short haul have been atleast 1 hr or more delayed.

Seems the new norm.
Old Apr 30, 19, 4:27 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I went through the HKIA app today, and apart from a few that got delayed for more than an hour, most flights left on time or within 30 mins after. That's pretty normal.

ATC congestion in HK is also a factor.
Old May 1, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: CX Gold
Not trying to add fuel to the fire as I've rarely experience significant delays, however having just flown to KIX and back, I was delayed on both segments, with the return Captain, specifically mentioning ATC. My mom was also travelling back from KIX but on HK Express, her flight was originally scheduled to depart later than mine, but actually ended up departing ahead of time whereas my take off was over an hour later (her baggage wait was way longer than mine).
Old May 1, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Hong Kong is next to China. (technically part of China). Our airspace is not really our own, and China does not give a [word that gets deleted] about commercial airlines. They do what they like. Thus HK airport regularly has limitations on where planes can fly which cause delays.

it's geography.
Old May 1, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fairhsa View Post
Hong Kong is next to China. (technically part of China). Our airspace is not really our own, and China does not give a [word that gets deleted] about commercial airlines. They do what they like. Thus HK airport regularly has limitations on where planes can fly which cause delays.

it's geography.
Yep, if you look at the flight routes from the east, often times, the flight will travel over taiwan and make a dog-legged pattern into hkg for arrival.
Old May 1, 19, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fairhsa View Post

it's geography.
I'm pretty sure that it actually is your own...hence that silly 15k foot handoff rule.

Furthermore, overflying China between HK and Japan seems to be quite rare.