Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Companion seat selection with Economy Save/Core

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat OWE / VA Plat

Hi all - quick question for the CX brains trust.

About to book a SYD-xHKG-FRA return itinerary in Economy for two pax — my partner and I. I need some flexibility in my plans so I’ll be booking an Economy Core ticket for myself, while I plan to book my partner into an Economy Save ticket, which will save ~ 1000 AUD in superfluous spending.

I am a QF OWE and know I can select any seat on all flights (including my preferred bulkhead seat). Will the call centre allow me to have my partner (separate booking, no status) next to me?

Companion seating on separate PNRs but the same flight is a benefit QF provide but I’ve never been in this situation with CX.

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:30 am

Not officially: see the first and second bullet points under "Who is eligible for 'Reserve your seat'?":
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ular-seat.html

This doesn't change your situation, but for others' reference, your partner's ticket being on a separate PNR would be mostly irrelevant, since you can connect it to yours in CX's "Manage booking" interface.

Last edited by Cryofern; Apr 28, 2019 at 8:32 am Reason: Reworded for clarity: "not be an issue" > "be mostly irrelevant"
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat OWE / VA Plat
Originally Posted by Cryofern
This doesn't change your situation, but for others' reference, your partner's ticket being on a separate PNR would be mostly irrelevant, since you can connect it to yours in CX's "Manage booking" interface.
OK - so once connected through Manage Booking, it won’t allow me to make seat selections for both of us?

Also, how about this second scenario: I book us both on one ticket at the Economy Save level. I’ll be able to select a seat through OWE status. Would it allow me full seat selection for my partner if we were on one booking?

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:30 am

Right.

and no for the second scenario, until online check-in 48 hours before departure

(or, if you happened to have status on CX, even the lower tiers, both scenarios would be allowed, but I'm assuming not)

Keep in mind that this is all just the official policy (and therefore what you'd get if you solely messed around on the CX website). I don't know if a sympathetic call center agent would be willing to unofficially help you out here - I had some luck with a sort-of-but-not-really similar situation before, but a sample size of one is too small to confidently make a general statement. Maybe you could call and ask even before you make your booking?

Post #3 on the other thread you posted in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ave-fares.html) seems to imply that the CX system tends to prefer having your partner next to you if on the same PNR, but once again probably not a guarantee
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Bakes
Hi all - quick question for the CX brains trust.

About to book a SYD-xHKG-FRA return itinerary in Economy for two pax — my partner and I. I need some flexibility in my plans so I’ll be booking an Economy Core ticket for myself, while I plan to book my partner into an Economy Save ticket, which will save ~ 1000 AUD in superfluous spending.

I am a QF OWE and know I can select any seat on all flights (including my preferred bulkhead seat). Will the call centre allow me to have my partner (separate booking, no status) next to me?

Companion seating on separate PNRs but the same flight is a benefit QF provide but I’ve never been in this situation with CX.

Thank you in advance.
I encountered the same stiuation as CX elite last year.
What I did was to phone CX agent, told her my name and booking reference, as well as my travel partner's.
As long as the agent confirmed we both were on the same plane, CX could pre-select my partner's seat..
As QF Emerald, you could pre-select any seats, but your partner's seat could be only regular ones without any extra charge, like exit seats.

CX treat OW partner very well, so I suppose you would share this privilege as I did.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I encountered the same stiuation as CX elite last year.
What I did was to phone CX agent, told her my name and booking reference, as well as my travel partner's.
As long as the agent confirmed we both were on the same plane, CX could pre-select my partner's seat..
As QF Emerald, you could pre-select any seats, but your partner's seat could be only regular ones without any extra charge, like exit seats.

CX treat OW partner very well, so I suppose you would share this privilege as I did.
Free seat selection for statusless partner is now a CX Elite only privilege after post-622 changes.
You will be asked to pay if you want to select seats for other passengers under the same PNR if they don't have status.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by AmD950
Free seat selection for statusless partner is now a CX Elite only privilege after post-622 changes.
You will be asked to pay if you want to select seats for other passengers under the same PNR if they don't have status.
CX elite only? Here is what I find on CX webite regarding to OW benefits:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html

"Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are all eligible to Preferred or pre-reserved seating.
*note: Preferred or pre-reserved seating is in accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight."

However, I couldnt find any rules that indicate this privilege is exclusive for CX elite only.

I always think CX treat OW partners equally with their own MPC members.
Im surprised that this privilege is only for CX elite..
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
CX elite only? Here is what I find on CX webite regarding to OW benefits:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html

"Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are all eligible to Preferred or pre-reserved seating.
*note: Preferred or pre-reserved seating is in accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight."

However, I couldnt find any rules that indicate this privilege is exclusive for CX elite only.

I always think CX treat OW partners equally with their own MPC members.
Im surprised that this privilege is only for CX elite..
Here:
It stated explicitly free seat selection for companion is only for CX Elites, for other OWE/OWS/OWR, you need to pay for your companions.
It has been in forced for almost a year.
wyskevin likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by AmD950
Here:
It stated explicitly free seat selection for companion is only for CX Elites, for other OWE/OWS/OWR, you need to pay for your companions.
It has been in forced for almost a year.
Thank you very much for this!

1. Silver members of the Marco Polo Club or above and oneworld® frequent fliers (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald) can reserve their extra legroom seats free of charge.

2. If you are a Marco Polo Club Diamond, Gold, or Silver member, you may reserve regular seatsfor all passengers in your booking free-of-charge.
If you are a oneworld Ruby member or above, you may reserve a regular seat for yourself for free – if you wish to reserve a seat for your travel companions you may do so for a fee.

Wow~ what a massively huge privilege for MPC members!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.