Cathay to axe Cairns after 25 years

Old May 4, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by derek2010
Besides adding HBA, how about non stop to CBR?
Will a HKG-CBR-SYD flight be allowed as an additional service to Sydney?
Isochronous likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Presumably yes a la Qatar
Isochronous likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I don't have the information Arbysix does, but of the industry in general I know pax pays a helluva lot more than cargo, (with rare exceptions) almost no matter what you're hauling. You win a route on pax yield and the rest is gravy. A route like CNS which I suspect was thin on pax demand / yield mix, it is exasebated because you can't justify a bigger plane like 77W which has much more cargo space. So while cargo may have been a factor it is not going to justify sending a primarily passenger plane there just for that. Unless it is so amazing CX could send one of their cargo birds.

I'm sorry to see any decrease in the CX network. But my sense says there isn't some secret game here to suddenly launch with KA, or UO, or this is good news in disguise. I think it just means what is most obvious....yield didn't justify it. Bummer.

I also think this lends credibility to the folks thinking CX will dump some A330 frames to KA. CX mainline will have to have some type of capacity reduction if they're really going to ditch a bunch of planes off to KA, as I've seen some folks speculating. You can't just get rid of planes and expect the mainline network to stay the same.
One of the exceptions to that rule is refrigerated or high value freight like seafood. If that is what CX has been flying to/from CNS then it would be profitable even with low passenger yields.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
One of the exceptions to that rule is refrigerated or high value freight like seafood. If that is what CX has been flying to/from CNS then it would be profitable even with low passenger yields.
It appears that this is the case according to various Australian news sites, but CX still decided to cancel the route. I thought if anything they would change it to a seasonal service. According to Australian news sites, politicians in Queensland/North Queensland are trying to see if they can provide incentives to continue this service because it's very important to North Queensland tourism and their exports as well. Let's see what happens.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Technically, QR is the opposite (DOH-SYD-CBR and return, not DOH-CBR-SYD)
Old May 4, 2019, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm sad to see this. We flew from Australia to the US in December using Alaska award miles. Cairns was the only Cathay destination with award seats. I was very grateful to find them and got to schedule a couple pleasant days in Cairns.
Isochronous likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Presumably as a consequence, according to CX's timetable Brisbane will drop to only one daily flight from the end of March 2020. Since I do not fly over night for medical reasons and can't abide QF I shall be forced to go on SQ via Singapore. They call this progress!
Old May 4, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by TomYoung
Presumably as a consequence, according to CX's timetable Brisbane will drop to only one daily flight from the end of March 2020. Since I do not fly over night for medical reasons and can't abide QF I shall be forced to go on SQ via Singapore. They call this progress!
I'm sorry to hear this. Again, I suspect could be part of a deal with QF. Not sure where that is at with the competition regulators at this point.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by antebellum
There's not enough J pax to keep this flight running. I'd say the J load was 55% on my flight. (Jan 2019)
This could also (hopefully temporary) fuel the award seat crisis further, where CX HKG-Australia J awards were constantly out of stock.
If that were the case CX could easily just put on a 24J/293Y regional 33P and even sell the J seats as PY. I think the main issue was FNQ foolishly subsidising Hong Kong Airlines and later China Southern to directly compete with an established carrier on a very marginal route.

Somewhat similar to AC re YEG-LHR route. Those unfamiliar may have fun reading into this. Maybe CX just hasnt aired their laundry in the same way.
https://o.canada.com/business/air-ca...ted-icelandair

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Originally Posted by Unionruler
I dont think it would be allowed. HKG-CNS-BNE counted as eating frequencies from the 70x/week service into BNE/SYD/PER/MEL.

May be a bit early to conclude that. CX is just doing aircraft swaps now for the end of October season plus adding a few frequencies in Oct/November timeframe to N.A. March 2020 is a ways away.
Arbeysix likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:42 am

CX will have freed up 4 weekly slots within their limit of 70. They could launch another 4-weekly service to Brisbane or even add flights to Perth as well. Seemed a bit silly to me to attach the CNS-BNE leg when it's pretty much always empty.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
Originally Posted by cx4ever
CX will have freed up 4 weekly slots within their limit of 70. They could launch another 4-weekly service to Brisbane or even add flights to Perth as well. Seemed a bit silly to me to attach the CNS-BNE leg when it's pretty much always empty.
We are regulars on the PER-HKG route (CX142 & CX171). The flights we have been on are generally quite full, I imagine there might be scope to add some flights to Perth.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:30 am

Also, why the heck are we only allowed 70 flights a week? SQ flies 123 flights a week excluding Scoot flights. That's literally 75% more... how is this fair?
Old May 5, 2019, 8:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Also, why the heck are we only allowed 70 flights a week? SQ flies 123 flights a week excluding Scoot flights. That's literally 75% more... how is this fair?
https://centreforaviation.com/analys...in-asia-206546
Old May 5, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
SIN is a QF (and EK) focus city. Liberalisation also has its costs. EK eats into SQ's profitability while SQ eventually gave up on its fifth freedom services from the UAE after countless experiments, and now only serves DXB 1x daily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.