Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

SCMP simply reaffirms a problem endemic to pretty much every airline...
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...abin-crew-hong

"One of the most popular items had been the small pots of Häagen-Dazs ice cream served in-flight. Cabin crew had been known to have freezers at home packed with the product." --> just how many pots of ice cream can one person eat?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:27 pm

Per article: "Such petty theft at Hong Kong’s biggest airline had long been treated as an unofficial perk". A perk to steal? Really?????
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM
"millions of many years"
Taking home ice cream.

Tripping over dollars to pick up nickles.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I witnessed this before!

On a European destination flight, before 30 mins landing, I saw one BC SNEAKILY put one big bottle of evian into her carry-on baggage.
From her behavior, she was completely aware that this was not right...

At that moment, I thought if I reported this, she would get fired.
But I didnt do so...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I read an article somewhere that some cabin crew members will sell "acquired" items on eBay just to make extra money. Things such as amenity kits, pyjamas, blankets. I don't think they're all from items left behind by passengers either.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by wxman22
"millions of many years"
Taking home ice cream.

Tripping over dollars to pick up nickles.
I see both ends of the spectrum. On one hand totally understandable if a crew member grabs a bottle of water on his/her way out at the outport after a long flight. On the other hand I know a crew that landed in HKG and offered to bring "desserts" to our party - it was bag full of ice cream which we knew did not come from 7-11.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
I see both ends of the spectrum. On one hand totally understandable if a crew member grabs a bottle of water on his/her way out at the outport after a long flight. On the other hand I know a crew that landed in HKG and offered to bring "desserts" to our party - it was bag full of ice cream which we knew did not come from 7-11.
Correct. Grabbing some expiring bread or bottles of water probably would not have irked CX; the F/A's probably took it too far by taking more expensive and clearly resuable items (metal cutlery? bags of ice crream?) and now have to pay the price.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I witnessed this before!

On a European destination flight, before 30 mins landing, I saw one BC SNEAKILY put one big bottle of evian into her carry-on baggage.
From her behavior, she was completely aware that this was not right...

At that moment, I thought if I reported this, she would get fired.
But I didnt do so...
As a water drinker I empathize a little, water bottles cost too much in Europe......
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
do they re-use / re-cycle uneaten haagan daaz? i thought that all food was thrown out?

also a bit petty to stop them from bringing a bottle of water - in fact maybe its an OHS thing and basic duty of care - can't have dehydrated crew!

Originally Posted by HMPS
As a water drinker I empathize a little, water bottles cost too much in Europe......
hardly. can get a big bottle of water for 0,50 to 1EUR at the supermarkets...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ermen

It might not be about the price; It is about the convenience.

Some hotels crew staying with locate in the suburb, no supermarkets or stores around.
Grabbing a bottle of water seem much more convenient for them.

Being said that, I still dont approve this kind of behaviors.
A bottle of water is still property of airline company.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Complete and utter nonsense. Even if the total adds up to "millions" it is a miniscule and completely insignificant fraction of cx overall costs. They carry 30M pax per year so the loss is 10 cents per pax? How much money does staff morale cost?
flubber, kaka, Silver Fox and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
People here seem to be glossing over this part

with staff taking home everything from cutlery and wine glasses to bottles of champagne
It's not just ice cream or bottled water...
NetJets Germany and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Which ever way this is dressed up by the liberal minded, stealing is stealing. The fact is that trusted employees are stealing from the company and clearly to a significant and increasing extent (cutlery - expensive glassware - bottles of champagne -freezers full of ice cream and significant amounts of food etc etc, what next the seat covers?
The stealing clearly has gone way beyond the odd bottle of water and it is any public company's duty to monitor this area and take action when it escalates beyond what has been considered to be acceptable
levels. Prior to taking the action the company would have been well aware of the ramifications and would not have acted unless the stealing was causing significant losses. Doubtless the union was consulted prior to the searches commencing and are on record as agreeing that action needed to be taken. A couple of prosecutions for offences at the more serious and of the scale should bring things back to a level that is considered to be tolerable.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen
do they re-use / re-cycle uneaten haagan daaz? i thought that all food was thrown out?

also a bit petty to stop them from bringing a bottle of water - in fact maybe its an OHS thing and basic duty of care - can't have dehydrated crew!

dry ice do not last that long into a flight. there is no way they reuse this.
methinks the only food that may get recycled is the cheap wine and softdrinks.
juices gets donated to public housing area.

Evian goes out for 1EUR/1.5L in france. if you are paying more in france you're going to the wrong places. 1GBP in london too.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I agree. Stealing is stealing.

Unless CX specifically says you can take it, it is the company property. While it is a waste definitely, but the burden falls to the company, not individual FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.