Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Yes and used.
There were three on sale last week and they have been sold since. Staff uniform pins are also on sale for $500 HKD. Pilots hats sell for $1500-$2500 and there is one auction up at the moment.

Here's another auction from yesterday
https://ibb.co/bLTyfyg
Soon FAs & pilots will be seduced not only for traditional reasons but for their wearable ! ​​​​​​
tentseller and Hottub Cowboy like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
The estimated value of the theft is completely irrelevant in my opinion. What's shocking is that cabin crew think they are somehow entitled to steal from their employer.
muji and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
the only thing that seems to have sold out is the 60 cup noodles that they would let flow into J and F cabin.
I've never had "Sorry we have run out of OJ or 1.5L Bottle Water". Once in a while the 330ml evian ran out.

Except for caviar, what has ever ran out on the hundreds/thousands of flight we have taken?
As I flying back on KA the other day and having some HD ice cream, I was reminded of the couple of times when I was told the CX J cabin "ran out" of ice cream.
kaka, buschoi and Unionruler like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
One of the FA friend told me that they’ve had a search last week at arrival. Some of the FA took their HD ice cream (given with their onboard meal) home got suspended for now and put under investigation.

In FA’s eye, it is very unfair for those “caught” FAs facing losing a job over just one ice cream, without prior notice. Taking more than one HD ice cream doesn’t seems to be right, what about the one they entitled to have on board?
Carfield and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
One of the FA friend told me that they’ve had a search last week at arrival. Some of the FA took their HD ice cream (given with their onboard meal) home got suspended for now and put under investigation.

In FA’s eye, it is very unfair for those “caught” FAs facing losing a job over just one ice cream, without prior notice. Taking more than one HD ice cream doesn’t seems to be right, what about the one they entitled to have on board?
just trash it in the dump
who cares

innit
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:29 pm

I side with the management on this. It is not a question of crew morale, underpaid, hotel location etc. If you think you're underpaid and morale low, go find another job. Hotels are based on a few things like location, security and its surrounds. A lot of factors go into scouting an appropriate hotel and are reviewed annually. Hungry? Thirsty? Well, the hotel does provide these items everyday. The crew does get allowances do they not?

Like some said, stealing is stealing. Are / is this item yours? Did you pay for it? Did you get approval to remove said item / s? If no to these questions, then it's stealing. Whatever is on the aircraft, it is the company's, including the staff. Whatever the company does with the leftovers is for the company to decide, not for staff to take home and consume unless prior approval is given.

I do support the union saying that cabin crew should not be solely targeted in these spot checks. All people with access to the aircraft should be checked. Passengers, well, that would be difficult, and whatever they do steal, is of low value. I have heard that life jackets have been removed, only to be caught at security while transiting.

I know of many, many crew who does this, and I always warn them of the consequences. If my employees were stealing from me, I surely would investigate. If guilty, dismissal regardless of value of the stolen items.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver

Those small ones? This doesn't make sense to me...why would they take it home...wouldn't it have melted even before they got out of the airport? it's pretty steamy in HK already....unless they took some dry ice with them...seems like a pain in the ... just to bring some ice cream home.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended

they would hv taken in original bulk box w them w dry ice
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:00 am

The sinister side of me thinks the stealing is getting to the point where passengers may be told the item is not stocked when it really is so the crew can take it as a leftover after the flight.

Stopping this whole kitchen sweep from happening after the doors open may mean the crew will proactively offer seconds to the passengers so not to waste the items. It would be nice if I'm offered a 2nd ice-cream during a long flight.
buschoi, muji and tentseller like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkskyline
The sinister side of me thinks the stealing is getting to the point where passengers may be told the item is not stocked when it really is so the crew can take it as a leftover after the flight.

Stopping this whole kitchen sweep from happening after the doors open may mean the crew will proactively offer seconds to the passengers so not to waste the items. It would be nice if I'm offered a 2nd ice-cream during a long flight.
idk but ive never been rejected 2nds for icecream

however, 2nds for pax is as rightly as it is for crew to take home.

each pax is catered 1.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:59 am

Nothing but a beat up to try and hold down pay negotiations with the unions.

No reason for the this to be in the public domain other than to smear the image of cabin crew.

Pathetic really - if someone steals a set of cutlery then discipline them or fire them, if the airline cannot manage the problem to the point it needs to whine to the media then the problem is incompetent management (highly plausible given the heavy losses last year etc) not crew.
Carfield, flubber, kaka and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:56 am

I think its just about having better controls. Some crew probably took it too far.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by yohy
No reason for the this to be in the public domain other than to smear the image of cabin crew.
Couldn't agree more.

This is an internal matter that could and should have been handled privately, and most assuredly would have been 20 years ago. While I appreciate the potential negotiating leverage, it just seems in very poor taste to broadly paint their own FAs in a less than favorable light.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Do we have any evidence that CX choose to take this to the press rather than it being leaked by associates of the cabin crew who were caught?
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by christep
Do we have any evidence that CX choose to take this to the press rather than it being leaked by associates of the cabin crew who were caught?
Good point. That hadn't occurred to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.