Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I remember years ago when they were serving caviar in F out of the big tins... They use to load 2 or 3 tins for every flight.... It was common knowledge back then that a lot of the crew only used 1 tin for the cabin, and kept the 2nd or 3rd tin for themselves... Some stories even said a few ISMs use to take the tins back home and resold them....
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Did CX recently downsize even the Evian water to 330mL (to cut costs)? I have always received 500mL in the past.
u're right. 500, not 330.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tfung
I remember years ago when they were serving caviar in F out of the big tins... They use to load 2 or 3 tins for every flight.... It was common knowledge back then that a lot of the crew only used 1 tin for the cabin, and kept the 2nd or 3rd tin for themselves... Some stories even said a few ISMs use to take the tins back home and resold them....
not surprised. i doubt many flights would have 2 tins consumed (for the 3rd) - more like as a backup to the first. The fix for such $$ items is simple, mark and count the tins, I've (defo) seen this on SQ, and maybe ANA.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
I read an article somewhere that some cabin crew members will sell "acquired" items on eBay just to make extra money. Things such as amenity kits, pyjamas, blankets. I don't think they're all from items left behind by passengers either.
Plenty of these being sold in "Bulk" on Carousell HK. They sell pens, cutlery, kits and even uniforms for 25K a pop.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Plenty of these being sold in "Bulk" on Carousell HK. They sell pens, cutlery, kits and even uniforms for 25K a pop.
25K?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
25K?
possibly from the manufacturer

of course, everyone else can steal a large amount- except i suppose those who have even 1 uniform outstanding when they are due to rerurn would have a hard time explaining.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by Visconti
This.

Not suggesting CX FAs or FAs in general are more prone to this than others, but I've seen this happen in various service industries, where employees are potentially incentivized by withholding something from customers (especially when it's complimentary) to benefit themselves. In my view, it's best to eliminate this potential conflict of interest with a zero tolerance policy and mandating anything perishable unused by pax are thrown away as waste.

Far as making FAs unhappy, anyone who quits because of the losing of this perk should, since, obviously, this profession isn't really for them. And, as to the environmental concerns (not wasting stuff) I'm sure the...ah...Earth can survive.
The Earth can definitely survive, but I doubt humans can. That's the difference. Long after we are all gone, the Earth will still go on as it has for millions of years...

Anyway, the point is - letting the FAs bring home food that would otherwise go to the landfill can only be seen as a good thing. If that constitutes as theft then CX is barking up the wrong tree. Of course stealing cutlery, unopened bottles of alcohol and caviar will be crossing the line.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by flubber
Anyway, the point is - letting the FAs bring home food that would otherwise go to the landfill can only be seen as a good thing. If that constitutes as theft then CX is barking up the wrong tree. Of course stealing cutlery, unopened bottles of alcohol and caviar will be crossing the line.
In principle, I don't disagree.

However, in practice, there will invariably be some, even if it's a small minority, who may potentially retain some inventory for personal use, rather than dispense liberally to onboard pax. Of course, in the overall scheme of things, the amount saved may be inconsequential (especially given the potential PR value), but, CX must have felt the issue was enough to warrant a more assertive stance.

I would even argue that perishable items, those specifically designated for inflight pax consumption, should be offered to any pax who would want them. I'd imagine, on many routes, there surely would be enough pax, where the issue of waste wouldn't be a central problem. If there are enough pax who "steal" stuff from the lounges, surely there will be enough to take whatever stock leftover.

PS - as to "stealing" from lounges, I too am guilty. Upon leaving, I always take a can of Perrier. So, I do understand the FAs' perspective where punishing those for simply taking water/light snack (as a matter of convenience), while within the letter of zero tolerance, certainly isn't consistent with the spirit of reducing theft. CX should consider itself too classy an outfit to engage in such pettiness.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Visconti; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:34 am Reason: added PS...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
PS - as to "stealing" from lounges, I too am guilty. Upon leaving, I always take a can of Perrier. So, I do understand the FAs' perspective where punishing those for simply taking water/light snack (as a matter of convenience), while within the letter of zero tolerance, certainly isn't consistent with the spirit of reducing theft. CX should consider itself too classy an outfit to engage in such pettiness.
Well, we are a customer of the lounge - the can of Perrier or bottle of water was purchased and placed there for our consumption. Not the same as a FA on a CX flight; this would be similar to a lounge worker grabbing a bottle before heading out.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by CX HK
Well, we are a customer of the lounge - the can of Perrier or bottle of water was purchased and placed there for our consumption. Not the same as a FA on a CX flight; this would be similar to a lounge worker grabbing a bottle before heading out.

1) None of this is really that surprising, bothersome, or concerning.

2) @CX HK, wow, you must be a ton of fun to work with. Please may I never be put on a project with the Water Bottle Counter.

3) Yes, the products were placed for our consumption. Just as the 20cent can of soda was. If overconsumption or theft was a problem, they'd limit access to 2-3 servers who could provide upon request. Likewise with FAs, if overonsumption or theft were an issue, they'd limit access or implement stringent inventory controls. But they dont. See point #2 .

How this thread has gotten so much attention is beyond me. PAX that "steal" (myself included) are a far greater threat.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Actually the biggest theft in retail is internally from employees, not from customers shopping....the employees know the systems and how to by pass it... I realize this isn't retail just an explanation perhaps why Management is clamping down...When I worked at Mcdonalds centuries ago, any excess food at the end of the night had to be thrown out. Rational was so people did not over cook on purpose to take the food home. (less of an issue now)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
1) None of this is really that surprising, bothersome, or concerning.

2) @CX HK, wow, you must be a ton of fun to work with. Please may I never be put on a project with the Water Bottle Counter.

3) Yes, the products were placed for our consumption. Just as the 20cent can of soda was. If overconsumption or theft was a problem, they'd limit access to 2-3 servers who could provide upon request. Likewise with FAs, if overonsumption or theft were an issue, they'd limit access or implement stringent inventory controls. But they dont. See point #2 .

How this thread has gotten so much attention is beyond me. PAX that "steal" (myself included) are a far greater threat.
Not sure what the personal attack was for? I was merely clarifying the fact that the comparison was inaccurate. In fact, if you had bothered to read my earlier post, you would know I am actually OK with F/A's taking food items and whatnot off the plane, but that it is ruined by some bad apples who go overboard and steal cutlery to resell, etc.

Relax and re-read.
Carfield likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Again, why are we still at the topic of stealing bottled water and garlic bread? When in fact I'm pretty sure it only started becoming an issue when cutlery, amenity kits and bottles of wine and champagne started going missing.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:26 am

Because crew have stopped taking high value items long time ago.

CX handed out suspensions and warning letters to those 6 crews caught with left over bread roll, croissant, fruit and a bottled water and did a PR parade with it.
Carfield and kaka like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
25K?
Yes and used.
There were three on sale last week and they have been sold since. Staff uniform pins are also on sale for $500 HKD. Pilots hats sell for $1500-$2500 and there is one auction up at the moment.

Here's another auction from yesterday
https://ibb.co/bLTyfyg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.