Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Reply

Old Apr 23, 19, 6:36 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,072
So what happens to the food, ice-cream, left over from the flight?
hkskyline is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:40 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,617
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. Even if the total adds up to "millions" it is a miniscule and completely insignificant fraction of cx overall costs. They carry 30M pax per year so the loss is 10 cents per pax? How much money does staff morale cost?
Pennies count ! Worked for a large auto mfg. The VIN ( unique id) is visible under the windshield lower left corner. It is a black color attached to a black or dark dash, no light there. When I commented it would take less than a penny to have it in white for ease of reading, was told to multiply said penny by X millions of vehicles per year.
Where does one draw the line at allowing theft to "increase" morale ? Remember, unlike USA F/A s are still prestigious jobs.
fairhsa likes this.
HMPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:29 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 788
Let's suppose CX suffers HK$50 leakage per flight. At 6000 flights per month, that's HK$3.6M lost per year. Under CX's current operating environment, where they're not swimming in consistent profits, I could see how they might go after this. I doubt they would be this extreme over a couple pots of ice cream only.
Frayed_Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:09 am
  #34  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by SW7London View Post
1GBP in London for one bottle of 1.5L Evian? Where?
go to the sainsbury’s that used to be the bus terminal for heathrow at sw7.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:11 am
  #35  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So what happens to the food, ice-cream, left over from the flight?
trash

except some say icecream get recycled into the storage- i dont think so.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:21 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So what happens to the food, ice-cream, left over from the flight?
Alcohols and high value items gets reloaded onto other flights. Same for unopened soft drinks and water if they are in their original stowage.

Everything else go to land fill or incinerators, even for unused non-perishables such as tea bags. Cheaper to reassemble a new standard unit than to unpack and reassemble. It is also unhygienic to load opened packets onto new flights not knowing what happened to them previously. Food safety regulations also prohibits re-chilling perishables and thawed frozen food (aka all meals and fresh food items). Ice cream would have melted by landing, dry ice don't last that long.

Once a year, they do a PR photoshoot of off duty staff sorting these items for charities though.

I personally think it's reasonable for crew to take bread roll, croissants and yogurt cups to eat on the way home, which are destined for the landfill anyways. The ones that were suspended this time were allegedly caught with these otherwise 0 value items. CX just comes across as incredibly stingy and pathetic.

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
At 6000 flights per month, that's HK$3.6M lost per year.
oh my, that's the CEO's end of year bonus, we can't loose that after all he's done for the company...gasp. That's all the money saved from not serving garlic bread, salt and pepper shakers in JCL, cheaper lounge contractor and business standard first class food.

Originally Posted by HMPS
Remember, unlike USA F/A s are still prestigious jobs.
USA FAs are better paid, have better job protection and unions that actually have the power to fight back against management. What part of being a CX FA is prestigious in this day and age? Most university grads only fly a few years to see the world then get a cushy HK government office job for a lot more pay and better life. It's a win-win though, CX can get crew on cheap contracts who stay low on the pay scale, grads get 'work experience' for a few years before moving on, male customers continue to live under the illusion that FA's sole purpose is to be young, pretty and be their eye candy.
flubber, kaka, nancypants and 1 others like this.
jckl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:59 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,729
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak View Post
Let's suppose CX suffers HK$50 leakage per flight. At 6000 flights per month, that's HK$3.6M lost per year. Under CX's current operating environment, where they're not swimming in consistent profits, I could see how they might go after this. I doubt they would be this extreme over a couple pots of ice cream only.
That's less that the salary of one senior captain. If they feel that's worth making a fuss about publically then their PR people are completely screwed up.
flubber, kaka and nancypants like this.
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:19 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,869
Is it not the passengers who steal the most? Plates, cutlery, pillows etc all taken as a souvenir of the flight?
nancypants likes this.
Greenpen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:57 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 9,630
Originally Posted by jckl View Post
I personally think it's reasonable for crew to take bread roll, croissants and yogurt cups to eat on the way home, which are destined for the landfill anyways. The ones that were suspended this time were allegedly caught with these otherwise 0 value items. CX just comes across as incredibly stingy and pathetic.
I don't disagree. The problem is, as CX alleges, FAs are taking more than these.

And don't forget - before the raid, CX has, per the media, issued an internal memo aka ultimatum about this practice just weeks ago.

So yes - it is bad to let good food into waste. But the FAs literally asked for the troubles.

You can't really say they are not warned.
garykung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:40 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-Gold, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 616
Big issue is, CCs' get tempted bringing the "sold out" message to the customers, just to be able to take home the goodies themselves. It's a downhill sliding situation. Some 40 years ago, I worked in a huge restaurant, and as serving staff, we did the same. Nothing new under the sun, so to say.

Regarding costs: Some 10 years ago, I made an average profit per leg calculation for Easyjet: A whopping USD 20.
LH would be some more, though not that much. So, think about that, when judging about these "taking home" actions.
buschoi likes this.
Cambo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:01 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,357
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Big issue is, CCs' get tempted bringing the "sold out" message to the customers, just to be able to take home the goodies themselves. It's a downhill sliding situation.
This.

Not suggesting CX FAs or FAs in general are more prone to this than others, but I've seen this happen in various service industries, where employees are potentially incentivized by withholding something from customers (especially when it's complimentary) to benefit themselves. In my view, it's best to eliminate this potential conflict of interest with a zero tolerance policy and mandating anything perishable unused by pax are thrown away as waste.

Far as making FAs unhappy, anyone who quits because of the losing of this perk should, since, obviously, this profession isn't really for them. And, as to the environmental concerns (not wasting stuff) I'm sure the...ah...Earth can survive.
buschoi and muji like this.
Visconti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:18 pm
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Big issue is, CCs' get tempted bringing the "sold out" message to the customers, just to be able to take home the goodies themselves. It's a downhill sliding situation. Some 40 years ago, I worked in a huge restaurant, and as serving staff, we did the same. Nothing new under the sun, so to say.

Regarding costs: Some 10 years ago, I made an average profit per leg calculation for Easyjet: A whopping USD 20.
LH would be some more, though not that much. So, think about that, when judging about these "taking home" actions.
the only thing that seems to have sold out is the 60 cup noodles that they would let flow into J and F cabin.
I've never had "Sorry we have run out of OJ or 1.5L Bottle Water". Once in a while the 330ml evian ran out.

Except for caviar, what has ever ran out on the hundreds/thousands of flight we have taken?
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:42 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by christep View Post
That's less that the salary of one senior captain. If they feel that's worth making a fuss about publically then their PR people are completely screwed up.
Yes, but bean counters can be overzealous sometimes and forget the bigger picture.
Carfield and kaka like this.
Frayed_Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:30 pm
  #44  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
This.

Not suggesting CX FAs or FAs in general are more prone to this than others, but I've seen this happen in various service industries, where employees are potentially incentivized by withholding something from customers (especially when it's complimentary) to benefit themselves. In my view, it's best to eliminate this potential conflict of interest with a zero tolerance policy and mandating anything perishable unused by pax are thrown away as waste.

Far as making FAs unhappy, anyone who quits because of the losing of this perk should, since, obviously, this profession isn't really for them. And, as to the environmental concerns (not wasting stuff) I'm sure the...ah...Earth can survive.
i am not entirely sure if it is of noone concerns if cx take it this way. CX does not profit more (hence tax money) by trashing them, there will be a higher stress in the dump, HK needs to look for alternative ways to take the *foodstuff* when many in HK run low on foodstuff in different interpretations.

for each kg of trash from each flight (out of 227.8 flights per day avg in feb(FYI its 226.5 in jan)), it would be 0.2tonne in the junk yard every day for 1 kg in all flights. and we are talking about 100skg in 50ish LH flights before fuel. x365.

Or alternatively, i think the Earth can survive better with less human beings.
flubber likes this.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:52 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
the only thing that seems to have sold out is the 60 cup noodles that they would let flow into J and F cabin.
I've never had "Sorry we have run out of OJ or 1.5L Bottle Water". Once in a while the 330ml evian ran out.

Except for caviar, what has ever ran out on the hundreds/thousands of flight we have taken?
Did CX recently downsize even the Evian water to 330mL (to cut costs)? I have always received 500mL in the past.
Fly Me To The Moon is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread