Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX

Old Apr 22, 19, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I agree. Stealing is stealing.

Unless CX specifically says you can take it, it is the company property. While it is a waste definitely, but the burden falls to the company, not individual FAs.
enjoy the social backlash + green action bodies this week

or an alternative - be clear on what can be taken out (i agree alcohol should be reused unless bottle opened. icecream - not so sure.) and work on it.

or, perhaps CX is not paying the crew right so many do such stuff - many people do have a sense of right and wrong and only do it because they turn a blind eye or think they are not paid the right amount (note 20 years ago noone takes red packets from pax, unlike the discussion now)

and regarding waste: if the company do not care, i do not feel right for noone to take action. afterall they do get dumped in TKO.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 22, 19 at 11:29 pm
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
enjoy the social backlash + green action bodies this week
Not really.

Even CX FAU concedes that this is improper and asks for leniency from the company.

And social backlash? Passengers simply care their own welfare, but not the FAs.
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Evian goes out for 1EUR/1.5L in france. if you are paying more in france you're going to the wrong places. 1GBP in london too.
And, by the way, French spring water goes for about EUR0.7/1.5L in ParknShop.

Anyway, theft is theft, but let s/he who has never taken a pen or a post-it pad from their office throw the first stone.

In principle I am very much against food wastage, so if CX could find a managable way of the cabin crew using food that would otherwise go to waste then that would be a good thing (it saves CX the cost of disposal as well). But of course there are customs rules on this as well which would make it difficult in most places.
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: MPC Inv
Cathay is very active in minimising food waste and recycling food.
There is however significant regulation regarding the repurposing of food from inbound flights.

The below links expand on these initiatives.

Food waste - Cathay Pacific - Sustainable Development Report 2016

What happens to all those uneaten inflight meals? - Discovery
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:30 am
formerly drb1979

Programs: QF
dry ice do not last that long into a flight. there is no way they reuse this.
methinks the only food that may get recycled is the cheap wine and softdrinks.
juices gets donated to public housing area.

Evian goes out for 1EUR/1.5L in france. if you are paying more in france you're going to the wrong places. 1GBP in london too.

1GBP in London for one bottle of 1.5L Evian? Where?
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:33 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SW7London View Post
1GBP in London for one bottle of 1.5L Evian? Where?
tescos!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/252078182
christep, kaka and muji like this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Donít the caterers just toss unused food/drinks/alcohol at the end of each flight anyway? So taking leftovers isnít really a big deal?
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:55 am

And ďmillions a yearĒ seems like a great way to hyperbolize the situation. Thatís like a digit on their balance sheet. Hardly a real problem when looked at on a per-passenger or per-flight level.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ermen View Post
both tescos and waitrose do sell these guys at these prices.
not on a day to day basis of course, but you can stock up w delivery when they run offers.

i suppose sainsburyís do the same sort of deal too
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
And ďmillions a yearĒ seems like a great way to hyperbolize the situation. Thatís like a digit on their balance sheet. Hardly a real problem when looked at on a per-passenger or per-flight level.
and we are talking about the stuff they they have thrown out the moment they loaded in a plane - i wonder why didnt they manage stock better
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
Donít the caterers just toss unused food/drinks/alcohol at the end of each flight anyway? So taking leftovers isnít really a big deal?
unless they are talking about alcohol or glassware or silverware, cx dont have my pity- they dont need any from me either.
flubber likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:23 am

both tescos and waitrose do sell these guys at these prices.
not on a day to day basis of course, but you can stock up w delivery when they run offers.

i suppose sainsburyís do the same sort of deal too
That is not a deal, itís the ordinary price. Large (unchilled) water bottles are always cheap here. Itís the 500ml bottles which are stupidly overpriced, because silly people keep buying them like thereís no tomorrow.

Of course thereís no need to buy bottled water at all in the UK and thankfully people are becoming increasingly aware of the environmental damage of all these plastic bottles.

dddc, flubber, kaka and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post

That is not a deal, itís the ordinary price. Large (unchilled) water bottles are always cheap here. Itís the 500ml bottles which are stupidly overpriced, because silly people keep buying them like thereís no tomorrow.

Of course thereís no need to buy bottled water at all in the UK and thankfully people are becoming increasingly aware of the environmental damage of all these plastic bottles.

amen to that. Reasons like this are why I travel with one of those water bottles with a built-in filter.

flubber likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by wyskevin View Post
I witnessed this before!

On a European destination flight, before 30 mins landing, I saw one BC SNEAKILY put one big bottle of evian into her carry-on baggage.
From her behavior, she was completely aware that this was not right...

At that moment, I thought if I reported this, she would get fired.
But I didnt do so...
Same here, but it was ISM on a similar route, just prior to landing. While everyone was already seated and fastened seat belt sign was on, she stood up, popped open the overhead bin and dropped 2 Evians into her pouch
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post

After studying what water filtration do, i commend everyone who still drinks tap water from London. Of course, not everywhere in the UK is london. I was surprised the day the environmentally conscious colleagues start bringing in bottled water.
DiamondMile likes this.

Search this Thread