FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   SCMP: Petty theft "costs us millions", says CX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1966516-scmp-petty-theft-costs-us-millions-says-cx.html)

kaka Apr 22, 19 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31027627)
I agree. Stealing is stealing.

Unless CX specifically says you can take it, it is the company property. While it is a waste definitely, but the burden falls to the company, not individual FAs.

enjoy the social backlash + green action bodies this week

or an alternative - be clear on what can be taken out (i agree alcohol should be reused unless bottle opened. icecream - not so sure.) and work on it.

or, perhaps CX is not paying the crew right so many do such stuff - many people do have a sense of right and wrong and only do it because they turn a blind eye or think they are not paid the right amount (note 20 years ago noone takes red packets from pax, unlike the discussion now)

and regarding waste: if the company do not care, i do not feel right for noone to take action. afterall they do get dumped in TKO.

garykung Apr 22, 19 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31027629)
enjoy the social backlash + green action bodies this week

Not really.

Even CX FAU concedes that this is improper and asks for leniency from the company.

And social backlash? Passengers simply care their own welfare, but not the FAs.

christep Apr 23, 19 12:03 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31027625)
Evian goes out for 1EUR/1.5L in france. if you are paying more in france you're going to the wrong places. 1GBP in london too.

And, by the way, French spring water goes for about EUR0.7/1.5L in ParknShop.

Anyway, theft is theft, but let s/he who has never taken a pen or a post-it pad from their office throw the first stone.

In principle I am very much against food wastage, so if CX could find a managable way of the cabin crew using food that would otherwise go to waste then that would be a good thing (it saves CX the cost of disposal as well). But of course there are customs rules on this as well which would make it difficult in most places.

oldchinahand Apr 23, 19 12:25 am

Cathay is very active in minimising food waste and recycling food.
There is however significant regulation regarding the repurposing of food from inbound flights.

The below links expand on these initiatives.

Food waste - Cathay Pacific - Sustainable Development Report 2016

What happens to all those uneaten inflight meals? - Discovery

SW7London Apr 23, 19 12:30 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31027625)
dry ice do not last that long into a flight. there is no way they reuse this.
methinks the only food that may get recycled is the cheap wine and softdrinks.
juices gets donated to public housing area.

Evian goes out for 1EUR/1.5L in france. if you are paying more in france you're going to the wrong places. 1GBP in london too.

1GBP in London for one bottle of 1.5L Evian? Where?

ermen Apr 23, 19 12:33 am

Originally Posted by SW7London (Post 31027739)
1GBP in London for one bottle of 1.5L Evian? Where?

tescos!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/252078182

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Apr 23, 19 1:54 am

Donít the caterers just toss unused food/drinks/alcohol at the end of each flight anyway? So taking leftovers isnít really a big deal?

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Apr 23, 19 1:55 am

And ďmillions a yearĒ seems like a great way to hyperbolize the situation. Thatís like a digit on their balance sheet. Hardly a real problem when looked at on a per-passenger or per-flight level.

kaka Apr 23, 19 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 31027742)

both tescos and waitrose do sell these guys at these prices.
not on a day to day basis of course, but you can stock up w delivery when they run offers.

i suppose sainsburyís do the same sort of deal too

kaka Apr 23, 19 1:57 am

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings (Post 31027845)
And ďmillions a yearĒ seems like a great way to hyperbolize the situation. Thatís like a digit on their balance sheet. Hardly a real problem when looked at on a per-passenger or per-flight level.

and we are talking about the stuff they they have thrown out the moment they loaded in a plane - i wonder why didnt they manage stock better

kaka Apr 23, 19 1:59 am

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings (Post 31027842)
Donít the caterers just toss unused food/drinks/alcohol at the end of each flight anyway? So taking leftovers isnít really a big deal?

unless they are talking about alcohol or glassware or silverware, cx dont have my pity- they dont need any from me either.

Ldnn1 Apr 23, 19 2:23 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31027847)

both tescos and waitrose do sell these guys at these prices.
not on a day to day basis of course, but you can stock up w delivery when they run offers.

i suppose sainsburyís do the same sort of deal too

That is not a deal, itís the ordinary price. Large (unchilled) water bottles are always cheap here. Itís the 500ml bottles which are stupidly overpriced, because silly people keep buying them like thereís no tomorrow.

Of course thereís no need to buy bottled water at all in the UK and thankfully people are becoming increasingly aware of the environmental damage of all these plastic bottles.

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Apr 23, 19 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 31027904)

That is not a deal, itís the ordinary price. Large (unchilled) water bottles are always cheap here. Itís the 500ml bottles which are stupidly overpriced, because silly people keep buying them like thereís no tomorrow.

Of course thereís no need to buy bottled water at all in the UK and thankfully people are becoming increasingly aware of the environmental damage of all these plastic bottles.

amen to that. Reasons like this are why I travel with one of those water bottles with a built-in filter.

KUL1971 Apr 23, 19 3:08 am

Originally Posted by wyskevin (Post 31027132)
I witnessed this before!

On a European destination flight, before 30 mins landing, I saw one BC SNEAKILY put one big bottle of evian into her carry-on baggage.
From her behavior, she was completely aware that this was not right...

At that moment, I thought if I reported this, she would get fired.
But I didnt do so...

Same here, but it was ISM on a similar route, just prior to landing. While everyone was already seated and fastened seat belt sign was on, she stood up, popped open the overhead bin and dropped 2 Evians into her pouch

kaka Apr 23, 19 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 31027904)

After studying what water filtration do, i commend everyone who still drinks tap water from London. Of course, not everywhere in the UK is london. I was surprised the day the environmentally conscious colleagues start bringing in bottled water.