Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Would CX pay for hotel if they delayed for 19 hours?

Would CX pay for hotel if they delayed for 19 hours?

Reply

Old Apr 20, 19, 2:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,876
Would CX pay for hotel if they delayed for 19 hours?

CX138 yesterday (19th April) has been re-scheduled to 17:00 today, due to late arrival of CX139 from Hong Kong. To make it even worse, the connecting KA flight at 8am today has been pushed to 8am tomorrow. So basically my friend's over night flight from SYD - HGH became 2 day flights, requires 2 night accommodations (1 in Sydney and 1 in Hong Kong).

After few calls she managed to get on to CX110 this morning and connecting to a night flight to HGH, however CX refused to organise any hotels as they said the delay was caused by the air traffic control at HKG not caused by CX. So she was out of her own dime for a night at the Westin Sydney.

Will CX be responsible for this extra night of accommodation at Sydney and would they do anything if she sent them over a copy of the hotel bill?







Ausriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:05 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,707
This is what travel insurance is for, no?
buschoi and fakecd like this.
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC, Accor
Posts: 1,194
Unless you can evidence that these delays were not due to weather and consequential ATC restrictions into HKG, then no point asking CX, approach your travel insurance.
plunet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:29 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Unless you can evidence that these delays were not due to weather and consequential ATC restrictions into HKG, then no point asking CX, approach your travel insurance.
Thanks for your clarification.

Also when she tried to re-route to Mel (SYD-MEL-HKG-HGH), CX said they OK with the re-route, however will not cover the SYD-MEL leg... Is that also a normal practice?

Also when they re schedule, why re schedule it to so late in the afternoon, not the first flight in the morning?
Ausriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
Thanks for your clarification.

Also when she tried to re-route to Mel (SYD-MEL-HKG-HGH), CX said they OK with the re-route, however will not cover the SYD-MEL leg... Is that also a normal practice?

Also when they re schedule, why re schedule it to so late in the afternoon, not the first flight in the morning?
prob slot restrictions.
i think the 139 wasnít that badly affected but due to the curfew in Syd there is not much buffer.

you do know there were storms in hkg past day or so


Just checked 139 was delayed 2 hours, just landed before SYD curfew but obviously canít take off for the return sector until the next day



Last edited by londonexpert; Apr 20, 19 at 4:15 am
londonexpert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,370
Obviously the details about why matter, not necessarily the length of delay itself. HKG has been slammed with extreme weather the last 2 days and the airport has experienced significant delays as a result. As other posters above had said, if it's weather related you're not really entitled to compensation....

I'm not sure if your original SYD flight got caught up in the weather issues I'm referring to. I didn't know the curfew thing but the poster above mentions a plausible reason why things cascaded.

As to why this flight and not that one for rebooking, who knows but I know CX ground agents and team responsible for reaccomodating everyone on different flights have been at battle stations the last 48 hours. Sounded like hell for the CX staff, but they seem to have done a fairly good job overall. They might have more than a thousand misconnects or cancellations the last 2 days so my guess is they're just doing their best, follow up might help your case.

I'm sitting on board a CX flight delayed "only" an hour into Hong Kong. We landed a few minutes ago. We have since been advised we don't have a gate and will experience further delays. A group of angry connecting (I assume) passengers were apparently raising their voices at the flight attendants about misconnects, the captain has since come on the intercom and asked everyone to chill out and explained the weather has been a big problem the last few days. Lol and he asked everyone not to take out their anger on the flight attendants, because all flights here at HKG in and out are affected.
Wongo, buschoi, infinitium and 3 others like this.
QRC3288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:46 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,707
Kudos to that captain!

For those that weren't here, there were over 1500 lightning strikes on Lantau Island between 2 and 3pm today. (Over 2500 in HK Island and Kowloon - it was rather spectacular, and dark as night!)

(Source: http://www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/lli...rea_counts.htm)

Last edited by christep; Apr 20, 19 at 4:52 am
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: MP, BR
Posts: 293
Originally Posted by christep View Post
Kudos to that captain!

For those that weren't here, there were over 1500 lightning strikes on Lantau Island between 2 and 3pm today. (Over 2500 in HK Island and Kowloon - it was rather spectacular, and dark as night!)

(Source: Recent cloud-to-ground lightning count distribution over Hong Kong)
It was definitely not spectacular - says someone who couldn't see anything beyond 2 feet while driving on Connaught Road Central Actually took shelter at IFC to wait things out.
Chromie25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 10:00 pm
  #9  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,131
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
I'm not sure if your original SYD flight got caught up in the weather issues I'm referring to. I didn't know the curfew thing but the poster above mentions a plausible reason why things cascaded.
SYD has 2300-0600 curfew https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviati...rfewBrief.aspx

You see EK staff constantly stressing out about it for their EK412 in Australian summer months
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 11:33 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 9,609
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
After few calls she managed to get on to CX110 this morning and connecting to a night flight to HGH, however CX refused to organise any hotels as they said the delay was caused by the air traffic control at HKG not caused by CX. So she was out of her own dime for a night at the Westin Sydney.
Always assume what you are told by any airline is basically a lie unless you can independently verify it.

Case in point:

1. It does not seem there was a NOTAM affecting HKG for the duration of this flight.

2. SYD-HKG is a 10-hour flight. So unless an airport can anticipate some major issues for the next 10 hours, why would a hold be placed on the flight? Beside, if such issue is major enough to know in advance, then why no NOTAMs? Or the airlines given head-ups to make alternative arrangements.

Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
Will CX be responsible for this extra night of accommodation at Sydney and would they do anything if she sent them over a copy of the hotel bill?
Not with a court summons.

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
HKG has been slammed with extreme weather the last 2 days and the airport has experienced significant delays as a result.
But how could you know this at least 10 hours in advance?

Also - didn't it more logically to re-position short-haul instead?

The weather, I admit, was serious. But it is not as severe as a No. 8.
garykung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 11:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,370
A
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
also - didn't it more logically to re-position short-haul instead?

The weather, I admit, was serious. But it is not as severe as a No. 8.
Much easier said than done in reality. I called a friend at CX just to verify this...apparently half the fleet was delayed or out of position the last 72 hours.

In practice, CX uses almost all their longhaul fleet on shorthauls during the day. It's the only way they can provide the capacity. Us speculating here about their fleet management during irrops is...rather irrelevant. They know what they're doing.

Your point about assume they're lying is definitely correct. But the last few days have been a serious operational event regardless if it makes front page news, it seems they've handled it well. Runways were operating at half capacity (240 second intervals) for part of the day, ground staff was prevented from servicing planes on many occasions due to weather (including my own, incidentally a long haul bird servicing a short haul route, leading to the 2+ hour delay of the following JFK flight), etc. Incidentally, after I posted above, we finally got a gate after 20 minutes parked on the tarmac. But when we got to our gate, there were no attendants available to bring the jetbridge to us. We had another 15 minute delay parked at the gate but without the jetbridge attached.

I'm just grateful we werent diverted. Tons of circling. We had three separate holds before being cleared.
infinitium likes this.
QRC3288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 11:57 pm
  #12  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,131
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
Also when she tried to re-route to Mel (SYD-MEL-HKG-HGH), CX said they OK with the re-route, however will not cover the SYD-MEL leg... Is that also a normal practice?
Not set down in black and white but yes normal practice

Same with me rerouting ITM-HND-HKG to avoid a typhoon cancelling KIX-HKG - AM refused to pay JL for ITM-HND (4,500 of my Avios covered it)
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 1:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 9,609
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
They know what they're doing.
I absolutely disagree that CX knows what they are doing. But again - it may not be relevant in this case.

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Your point about assume they're lying is definitely correct.
I am surprised you actually agree with this...

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Runways were operating at half capacity (240 second intervals) for part of the day, ground staff was prevented from servicing planes on many occasions due to weather (including my own, incidentally a long haul bird servicing a short haul route, leading to the 2+ hour delay of the following JFK flight), etc.
I am not contending the severe weather. But the weather impacted Hong Kong the most beginning the afternoon of April 20. OP's friend's flight was scheduled for arrival during the early morning of April 20. I checked the HKG's arrival situation. While it is true that short-haul were affected, with 2 CX/KA flights delayed for 2+ hours during 4-6 am, CX 138 was the only long-haul flight that was delayed significantly (the another delayed long-haul was CX 845 for 38 minutes).

So yes - it does raise some questions when CX claimed HKG ATC.

OT - the idea of the 3rd runway is so stupid that when the existing runways are only ILS Cat. I/II.
garykung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:59 am
  #14  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,131
[QUOTE=garykung;31023104]So yes - it does raise some questions when CX claimed HKG ATC.[quote]

I rather CX stated weather than ATC - much easier for me to claim my HK insurers.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
OT - the idea of the 3rd runway is so stupid that when the existing runways are only ILS Cat. I/II.
Isn't 25R Cat III https://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/supp/A14-09.pdf ?
percysmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:06 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Indo Jungle
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 973
Bizarrely enough, CX put me up in a hotel for Volcanic eruption related cancel a few years ago.
DeepUnderground is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread