Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Would CX pay for hotel if they delayed for 19 hours?

Would CX pay for hotel if they delayed for 19 hours?

Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Bizarrely enough, CX put me up in a hotel for Volcanic eruption related cancel a few years ago.
In HKG or DPS/Europe (which volcano eruption were you effected by)?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by percysmith
Connecting in HKG on the way to DPS
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Connecting in HKG on the way to DPS
Nice but I remember they couldn't keep this up when more passengers got stranded.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Nice but I remember they couldn't keep this up when more passengers got stranded.
As I noted in a post at the time, I would pass it up next time anyway. Loaded into a bus with everyone else and hauled into Central to then wait in line for 1 hour for check in with exhausted kiddos. No thanks, next time will just take care of myself at Regal or Marriot.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
If the passenger originated (and did fly on one PNR), CX was obliged to do so, according EC261/2004.

There are reasons, Europe is a nice environment to live
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I rather CX stated weather than ATC - much easier for me to claim my HK insurers.
I would say this makes more sense.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. But still 1 CAT III is not enough as many runways in major airports are CAT III by design.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
....Thanks for pointing out my mistake. But still 1 CAT III is not enough as many runways in major airports are CAT III by design.
Yes and No. For CAT III (and also somewhat CAT II), it is not only a matter of design and equipment, though also about "space available". For CAT III, the airport needs to allocate a lot of unoccupied space around the runway, free of obstacles, including taxiing airplanes. If that space is not available, then forget the CAT III.

Can you remember the SQ runway excursion at MUC in 2011 ? That was due to the pilots doing a CAT III "rehearsal" approach, without announcing as such to the Tower. The consequence was that a previously departing airplane flew through the Localizer beam (at the far end of the runway !) and the CAT III autoland followed the distorted signal, with the runway excursion as a result. The same applies for other metal chunks somewhere around the runway, these do influence (ie bent) the Localizer and Glideslope beams, with the result that the CAT III airplane starts to deviate from the visually straight course. CAT III is quite sensitive for disturbances. As such, CAT III throughput is also quite low.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Cambo - we’re wayy OT, but thanks for the reference- fascinating reading!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.