Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying one million miles in a calendar year on CX metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying one million miles in a calendar year on CX metal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:38 pm

What class of service are most of your flights in?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I wouldn't call that insanely cheap, but it's a pretty good price
agree. 28k to jfk is not cheap but given the distance.

380 club points for a round trip. Not too bad at all.
no wonder how come college students can get to DM with rich parents.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by michaeltchuang
I recently flew over one million BIS (butt-in-seat) miles in a calendar year on CX metal...a nice milestone.

If you're interested in the specifics...I made a timelapse video of my entire CX flight log that you can watch below (jump to 0:36 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLxkFETww8

For the road warriors in this forum...what's the most BIS miles you ever flew in a calendar year (on just CX metal only and I guess KA could count too)?
Never did it on CX,but did it on United 6 times. 1.4 million BIS last year. Congrats, a million BIS is a lot!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Here are some more answers to your other questions...

Originally Posted by flubber
Congratulations! I'm as curious as everyone else on the forum... what sort of job do you have that allows you to travel every week, and I'm guessing -on your own dime?
My job requires zero travel (I work in a cubicle if you can imagine that)...but I just strategically use my couple weeks of vacation time each year...staggering them to get as many 3 day weekends as possible so I can travel. This past year, I paid for two long haul flights a month...and then did shorter award flights for the alternate weekends. I traveled around 42 weekends this past year...it's been fun.

I like to spend my vacation days going to different Disney Parks (usually HKDL since it has shortest lines for rides but I rotate)...so I travel back and forth frequently and end up spending a lot time in airports on weekends. I've been doing this layover routine a lot (see youtube video below)

However, with Star Wars Land opening soon, my annual BIS miles on CX are going to drop a bit because I plan on staying stateside more this coming year. When the HKDL castle finishes the following year...I'll switch back.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Is it torture flying that much? Any color you can add would be great
Far from it...I wish I could travel more. Global Entry and airport lounge showers have changed my life. My perspective might also be different too because I've learned how to avoid jet lag. I sleep better sometimes on the plane than I do in my own bed at home.

It has become a routine and my body has adjusted to this lifestyle. I'd work in NY during week, and then spend my weekends in Asia (extreme commuting in a way). CX has become like my extended family.

Originally Posted by CX HK
Let's be honest, the real question we all want to know - did CX give you any sort of recognition for hitting 1m miles in a year??
I got an in-flight cake and lots of congratulation greetings from the YVR-based crew (I take CX 888 and CX 865/889 frequently so most of the crew know me). CX has also treated me to dinner in NYC for some related milestones.

For the CX road warriors, I do want to highlight there's a hidden tier above Diamond I deemed "being friends with crew/staff" that I found when you fly a lot. I generally sleep the whole time on flights but on the rare occasions I decided to eat in the air (I usually always eat on the ground)...some crews saved my favorite meals without me asking since they remembered what I liked (sometimes it's from the class above!). I'd walk in the Pier F resturant and the staff would have my drink order ready without me even telling them (I like watermelon juice and strawberries...don't judge).

The soft service (in the air or in the lounge) can be really amazing once the CX staff knows you as a regular (and your preferences).

Originally Posted by garykung
All flights mileage accrual eligible?
No...this past year, my CX flights were around 80% revenue, 20% award flights. I did mostly ex-JNB & ex-PVG (E/V) fares for the price (while earning 5x on airfare though credit cards)...and I then redeemed a few JFK-HKG-LHR/YVR awards (Asia Miles).

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
What class of service are most of your flights in?
Typically I pay for premium economy long-haul (economy long-haul if prices spike or PE is full) and economy short-haul. However, I do try to upgrade myself to CX first for special occasions (e.g. Christmas & Chinese New Year) to reward myself (sometimes I get lucky and they upgrade me to business on their own)...and then save most of the leftover points I earn for family members.

As a long-time economy Diamond flyer (and usually traveling on a budget)...I do feel sometimes like we're a dying breed with how hard it is to maintain CX Diamond status after the devaluation.

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Never did it on CX,but did it on United 6 times. 1.4 million BIS last year. Congrats, a million BIS is a lot!
Thanks and congrats to you too (20 million). Good luck on your next quest and hope you get to 25 million.
Wongo, flubber, QRC3288 and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Extraordinary commitment! Many congrats! You refer to tier above diamond so I assume you are DMP given the volume of flights (even though revenue per journey may be less due to non-premium cabins)?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Conkers
Extraordinary commitment! Many congrats! You refer to tier above diamond so I assume you are DMP given the volume of flights (even though revenue per journey may be less due to non-premium cabins)?
no, he isn't DMP.

What he is referring to is when crew know you on board, they treat you special regardless of your tier. Especially as they get to know you. This is really only possible with certain outports where the base is small and they fly very specific flight #s (for example, the SFO base is rostered exclusively on CX873/872). In Hong Kong it is simply impossible due to the rostering system.

Anyway, this is what he means by the "tier above Diamond". It's just the treatment you'd get by family essentially. It's really good and kinda outside the status realm. I can't say I receive it nearly as often as the OP, but I know precisely what he's talking about.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:36 am

Even in J class is not easy, the OP is quite remarkable to achieve this in PEY and Y
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by QRC3288
no, he isn't DMP.

What he is referring to is when crew know you on board, they treat you special regardless of your tier. Especially as they get to know you. This is really only possible with certain outports where the base is small and they fly very specific flight #s (for example, the SFO base is rostered exclusively on CX873/872). In Hong Kong it is simply impossible due to the rostering system.

Anyway, this is what he means by the "tier above Diamond". It's just the treatment you'd get by family essentially. It's really good and kinda outside the status realm. I can't say I receive it nearly as often as the OP, but I know precisely what he's talking about.
Got it thanks! An amazing BIS achievement!
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Question for the OP, with flying E or PEY so much even with redemption tickets, how many CP are you accumulating in a year? Are you buying discount E tix with low CP or mixing it up? Are you reaching more than 2400 CP for the year? Inquiring minds, or those of use who've struggled with getting to DM with just PEY tix on strictly LH, want to know.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have deleted the rather unnecessary discussion which detracts from the point that the OP is making.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Question for the OP, with flying E or PEY so much even with redemption tickets, how many CP are you accumulating in a year? Are you buying discount E tix with low CP or mixing it up? Are you reaching more than 2400 CP for the year? Inquiring minds, or those of use who've struggled with getting to DM with just PEY tix on strictly LH, want to know.
For a calendar year, I've been averaging around 3000-4000 CP for past few years (I early reset every time I reach 1800).

I typically buy LH discount E fares and always start my trips from outports (e.g. ex-China, ex-JNB, etc). I pair many of my LH trips with a turnaround.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by michaeltchuang
I recently flew over one million BIS (butt-in-seat) miles in a calendar year on CX metal...a nice milestone.

If you're interested in the specifics...I made a timelapse video of my entire CX flight log that you can watch below (jump to 0:36 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLxkFETww8

For the road warriors in this forum...what's the most BIS miles you ever flew in a calendar year (on just CX metal only and I guess KA could count too)?
That must be close to 2000 hours in a year inside a jet. What an achievement! You probably fly more than any CX's pilots.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
That must be close to 2000 hours in a year inside a jet. What an achievement! You probably fly more than any CX's pilots.
just thinking the radiation exposure! Is it worth it in the end?
G-CIVC and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Woo, I would have love to do this only if....
#1 Finance
#2 Annual Leaves permits
Only way I could try this is winning Mark 6 here. Anyone has the next 6 numbers?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
how much do you spend in one year? while it is a nice milestone to hit, but it seems not to be budget friendly.

i can imagine that you can spend a similar amount but less flying in J class and still earn top tier status easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.