Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying one million miles in a calendar year on CX metal

Flying one million miles in a calendar year on CX metal

Old May 2, 2019, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by pbd456
how much do you spend in one year? while it is a nice milestone to hit, but it seems not to be budget friendly.
In a calendar year, I've been averaging around $20-30k USD spend on CX metal for past few years...and at 3-6 CPM (cost per a mile)
Old May 2, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by michaeltchuang
In a calendar year, I've been averaging around $20-30k USD spend on CX metal for past few years...and at 3-6 CPM (cost per a mile)
thats quite expensive but I guess u are way pass the 1200cp. Is it really worth it in the end and have to suffer in Y and PEY for most of the trips
Old May 2, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are you at all concerned about your carbon footprint? Not sure I see the point of going to HK every weekend. Its not as is theres a lack of things to do in NY. Id argue NY offers a far greater variety of cultural experiences than HK. And Disney World is only a 3hr flight away...
cx4ever likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
1M miles at 3cpm is 30k? assuming an average of 4cpm and 20% of those are redeemed. that is still 32k? (8*4)
Old May 3, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by swingaling
Are you at all concerned about your carbon footprint? Not sure I see the point of going to HK every weekend. Its not as is theres a lack of things to do in NY. Id argue NY offers a far greater variety of cultural experiences than HK. And Disney World is only a 3hr flight away...
Umm that's quite refreshing -

Touring the Five Stans
Background:
Continuing toward my goal of visiting each country, this trip began as the continuation of my recent RTW trip in January.

I think it's awesome! Congratulations!

Originally Posted by londonexpert
just thinking the radiation exposure! Is it worth it in the end?
That is a rhetorical question to ask on FT, honestly ...
Old May 3, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up

For a calendar year, I've been averaging around 3000-4000 CP for past few years (I early reset every time I reach 1800).
I typically buy LH discount E fares and always start my trips from outports (e.g. ex-China, ex-JNB, etc). I pair many of my LH trips with a turnaround.
Wow you get a billion bonus points for doing this in PE / Y class ... ^
You must be in your 20's or early 30's?
If you are based in NYC, how or why do you start your trip from China & JNB?

Enjoy it while you can, it gets harder as you get older - & once you try long haul J, there is no turning back!
Old May 3, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Hi OP, given that you early reset constantly, is there any particular reason why you don't run CMB/KTM - JFK/EWR in I class for the comfort instead...? Is your op-up % HKG-JFK/EWR quite high...?
Old May 3, 2019, 5:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Hi OP, given that you early reset constantly, is there any particular reason why you don't run CMB/KTM - JFK/EWR in I class for the comfort instead...? Is your op-up % HKG-JFK/EWR quite high...?
i think the last time I calculated, $/CP out of ZA is still better than CMB even though the lump sum is higher.

PS CX just hiked the ex ZA fares slightly last month!
Old May 4, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by londonexpert
Is it really worth it in the end and have to suffer in Y and PEY for most of the trips
Suffer? I sleep perfectly fine in CX's LH PEY seats (recline is good enough for me)...and I upgrade to a flat-bed whenever I need it. This helps me lower the costs as a frequent traveler.

However, I do understand your perspective. If I dare propose a non flat-bed LH flight to some of my redemption group members (they don't fly a lot)...I'm sleeping on the couch.

Originally Posted by pbd456
1M miles at 3cpm is 30k? assuming an average of 4cpm and 20% of those are redeemed. that is still 32k? (8*4
I did the 1M BIS miles for around $45K USD (so 4.5 CPM). The total cost was spread across two years of my typical annual CX spend ($20-30K). My CX flights were a bit backloaded in first year, but heavily front loaded the following year.

It is possible to do 800K miles for $30K. JNB-HKG-YVR-JFK (route pattern I did a lot) is usually around $1100 RT in economy and 30,942 BIS miles (so 3.55 CPM)...26 of these (3.55x8) = $28.4K. I flew more PE than Y which is why my average CPM rate was a bit higher.

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Wow you get a billion bonus points for doing this in PE / Y class ... ^
You must be in your 20's or early 30's?
Thanks! Yup...30's.

Originally Posted by kaffir76
If you are based in NYC, how or why do you start your trip from China & JNB?
Price (through different point-of-sale)...here's an example using PEY RT fares...

HKG-JFK = $2,800 USD
JFK-HKG = $2,320 USD
JNB-HKG-JFK = $1,700 USD

With a little more time added to my LH flights (due to a turnaround), I was saving money on my NYC-HKG trips...earning more FF status + miles in the process...and sometimes not paying for a hotel either (e.g. slept on the plane since most flights were overnight).

Hi OP, given that you early reset constantly, is there any particular reason why you don't run CMB/KTM - JFK/EWR in I class for the comfort instead...?
Since I earn more than enough CP for Diamond every year...I liked earning more RDM (Asia Miles is based off distance still) which is why I largely chose JNB. However, I've now almost completely switched over to ex-PVG fares these days (and foreseeable future once new lounge opens) since Shanghai is a turnaround location where I can leave airport and actually do work for a few hours (meet business partners, etc). Plus, there is a Disney Park there as well.

Is your op-up % HKG-JFK/EWR quite high...?
Not very high...my op-up rate is around 20% as a Diamond. With the help of ExpertFlyer seat maps though...I've usually been able to make sure the seat next to me is empty when I fly Y/PEY (or maybe it's because I'm Diamond and CX is consistently seat blocking to be nice...another hidden perk?).
Unionruler likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been on FT for close to 20 years, and very few things impress me any more, but this sure does!
HaikalS likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.