Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Passenger not supposed to cross first row of PEY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger not supposed to cross first row of PEY?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Row 30 is an exit row. It has substantially more pitch than the other rows. If memory serves, even with the seat fully reclined and legrest extended, it’s still possible to walk through without touching anyone.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I bet the people in row 39 have the same problem only right to left for the biffy.
Not really. The toilet is aft by the galley, so it’s easier (and likely faster) to just cut through the galley. Unlike the PE cabin, there’s no good reason to cut in front of row 39.

Last edited by swingaling; Apr 13, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
I can tell you there is not enough room to walk across without having to step over people’s legs if the footrest is fully deployed and people are stretched out and relaxing. I feeling is that that is only an emergency exit during an emergency and for take off and landing. During flight it is the space for the passengers seated in those seats.

i think the toilet configuration is a hangover from days before premium economy. 77A is the only aircraft to have a toilet in premium econ... and I don’t think it is for the exclusive use of premium economy passengers. During a lot of the flight the curtains between the cabins are left open which is not like business and first.

Furthermore, disturbing passengers by crossing over at row 30 is just rude.... the extra few metres to walk round shouldn’t cause any problems for anyone.
flubber, craig44485, royng and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kingbat
I can tell you there is not enough room to walk across without having to step over people’s legs if the footrest is fully deployed and people are stretched out and relaxing.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31009169-post39.html

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 17, 2019 at 1:18 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As said in post #15 , I'm walking forward into J and crossing behind row 26 to the G-H aisle.
Just out of curiosity, did seats 30F/G stop the OP in 30D from crossing in front of them?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:29 pm

Might as well just walk around instead of disturbing other passengers, it's just rude.
craig44485, lkrt, royng and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
As said in post #15 , I'm walking forward into J and crossing behind row 26 to the G-H aisle.
Just out of curiosity, did seats 30F/G stop the OP in 30D from crossing in front of them?
i used the one on economy so they didn’t, but they did ask me why I didn’t stop them from crossing
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I don't think there is any rule about PAX not crossing row 30 on 77A/H. If you sit in that row, you can expect other PAX to be crossing all during the flight. I always advise my coworkers departing from JFK on PEY to not choose row 30 for that reason. For my money, 32K is the best seat as you get the benefits of the bulkhead (rear wall of lav), a window and nobody crossing over. 31 A & B are great also if you want the benefit of all the legroom associated with exit row.

Once I was in PEY HKG-EWR which at the time used 77G configuration. I had seat 30K but there was an equipment swap with a 77H and they moved me to 30G, I was just SL then and didn't get op-up. On those bulkhead seats on the 77W in PEY, I like to use the magazine holder as an impromptu footrest to stretch out. That flight was impossible to get good rest as every few minutes PAX were crossing the row to use the lav.

A few months later after reaching GO, same equipment swap but this time got op-up to J
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I always chose front row seats and so have this problem often. My solution is simple. I travel with a standard wheeled trolley which is square - after take-off, I take it down and put it next to the wall at my feet. I then put a cushion on it (or a jumper etc) and put my feet on top of that. Voila. Complete barrier.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa
I always chose front row seats and so have this problem often. My solution is simple. I travel with a standard wheeled trolley which is square - after take-off, I take it down and put it next to the wall at my feet. I then put a cushion on it (or a jumper etc) and put my feet on top of that. Voila. Complete barrier.

Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by percysmith
Safety non-compliance. I would've reported you.
Plenty of staff saw it (on the multiple flights I have done this on) and nobody complained. The safety is not "not block aisles and exits" during takeoff and landing. Plenty of blockage going on at other times of the flight.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've ever experienced BA's 747 J cabin upstairs, you'd know that outstretched legs are not a barrier. Climbing over is one of the "joys" of premium air travel.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:38 pm

Plenty of staff saw it (on the multiple flights I have done this on) and nobody complained. The safety is not "not block aisles and exits" during takeoff and landing. Plenty of blockage going on at other times of the flight.

Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I always pick the bulkheads seat in PEY. And bulkhead or emergency row are not allowed to have anything on the floor during take off and landing. Period. I have seem many people trying to argue with the IFA that they can place their belongings in front of their seat just like standard seating In additional, row 30 of 77A/77H is considered as an emergency row with extra space than bulkhead, not one’s personal space and hence people can use that to walk across during flight cruising. Sorry to those folks sitting on row 30 of 77A/77H
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xuukgo
i just took a flight with 77A and was seated on 30D, the first row on PEY. On this aircraft the toilet is on the right hand side of this mini cabin and passengers on the left hand side tried to cross the first row to reach the toilet.

Surprisingly a couple on 30F and 30G keep stopping passengers for doing that and said that flight attendant said they are not supposed to do that and they don’t care if there is just one toilet on the right and asking passengers to take detour to economy class instead of cross the first row.

While i I do understand as a courtesy, people may ask others not to cross, but is it a rule? I flew on PEY very often and often sit on row 30 but never stop passenger cross in front of me. Do you guys know there is such rule?
This happened to me before and it was super annoying.
The young woman next to me put her cabin luggage in front of her and used it as a footrest, thus preventing anyone else from crossing!
It was absolutely brilliant!
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
To add to what others are saying, I've only ever sat in this row on a long haul once - never again for precisely this issue. If I do find myself on the other side of the cabin in PEY, I just walk through the galley either forward or aft. It's just rude and intrusive in my opinion not to.
flubber, royng and mbamejia like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.