HKG Pier dining — what a let down!

Old May 8, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
tbh i do not even know how one can relax in the cabana? not as if the chairs are that nice for snoozing in...
kaka and QRC3288 like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by samuelo
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree. I have found the drinks selection, complexity of food and lack of crowds to be what I value in a lounge. In addition, the ability to actually schedule a treatment in advance is an added bonus.

The relaxation rooms and showers at the Pier or the cabanas at the Wing are irrelevant to the many Diamond members who are based in Hong Kong. We are not going to the airport early to shower or relax in a cabana! What we want is somewhere to have a good meal (given CX's poor onboard catering), a few glasses of decent wine or champagne and for some a treatment. At the CCR, I can get the same champagne as they serve in first class, a proper three course meal, a seat and a massage if I want it. At the Pier, what I get is mediocre champagne, food that is more fit for a school cafeteria than a first class lounge and no hope of a treatment unless I was in the lounge for 12 hours!

I'm sorry but The Pier is not a first class lounge. It's a Diamond/OWE elite lounge with business class standard food and drink offering. It might beat the CCR on design but falls short on just about everything else.
As a DM passing through LHR CCR quite frequently recently I cannot agree with you more. Most of the food at The Pier F are microwaved/reheated nowadays, my default lounge has shifted to QF lounge now. It's buffet style but at least it's edible
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by samuelo
The relaxation rooms and showers at the Pier or the cabanas at the Wing are irrelevant to the many Diamond members who are based in Hong Kong. We are not going to the airport early to shower or relax in a cabana!
And of course that means that the rest of us who connect and precisely care a lot more about decent shower and relaxation facilities rather than shower rooms reminiscent of some hospitals don’t matter! 🙂

To be honest when flying F, I don’t eat or drink much in lounges as I’d much prefer to do this onboard but I don’t infer from it that it is irrelevant to others.

and I beg to disagree on sophisticated food. The current meat dish is a thin steak, I like it but it’s not sophisticated at all. Previous was a sloppy stew, very canteen like. I’ve had much better at the Pier.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 9, 2019 at 4:27 am
Old May 9, 2019, 6:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

the grass will always be greener on the other side.
orbitmic and londonexpert like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
[QUOTE=samuelo;31078547]
Originally Posted by thatflyer
T

wooohh. Hold on here.

Whilst i too complained about the F CX lounge in HK let’s not get to the point to say it is not worth going to.

If you would spend any time in any lounge my choice would always be in a CX lounge (with perhaps Sydney Qantas F lounge the exception - but generally CX is my place of choice).

It is miles better than any BA lounge.

Clearly you have never been to The Concorde Room. It is miles better than any CX lounge, including The Pier. Better food, better champagne, better service, better seats (unlike the Wing where the springs on those armchairs have gone a long time ago) and the ability to book spa appointments in advance.
I have actually been in CCR in T5. In fact I was in it about 3 weeks ago.

I think the experience varies person to person. I really dislike the dining pods you sit in where it feels like I am in a prison cell cocooned away as no one wants to see me (and maybe they don't, but I don't like it). I found the food mediocre and the choice poor. I am not a big alcohol drinker so the wine list isn't a big factor for me.

I still have to say I prefer a CX lounge. It suits me and my tastes better. You don't have to agree and I am sure you won't ... but it does appeal to me more.
londonexpert likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by christep
It's Qantas.
(Queensland And Northern Territories Aerial Services)

My apologies, bad Engrish! lol, BTW I saw the expletive !
Old May 9, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
If you have time, do the guys a favor and leave a nice compliment via the online form. Would be great if you have their names, it is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for providing the form. I just filled it in, a bit belatedly, but better late than never. I know that compliments are more rare than complaints, and they were awesome.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Apologies in advance if this is a cross post.

I was reading the SCMP article from last night where it was reported that

The airline’s customer service chief Simon Large dismissed complaints about the company’s new business-class dining and the criticisms over food in its lounges.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

i cannot for the life of me understand how they can genuinely believe that they are providing top notch food??? are they that myopic?
kaka likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

delusional plonk, as cx is probably their big customer... (who buys papers these days- let alone so many on each flight) they get feed a lot of “page space” -oh well, OD was a great feature too, so maybe its irrelevant

Old May 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by ermen
i cannot for the life of me understand how they can genuinely believe that they are providing top notch food??? are they that myopic?

Delusional like Trump. They say it enough they believe its good food.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eagle215
Delusional like Trump. They say it enough they believe its good food.
there was once a saying that goes along the lines of, "if you tell a lie frequently enough, it becomes the truth"

I guess that is what's going on here.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Was yesterday in the Pier and cant complain about the food there:

δ

TravelLawyer and orbitmic like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clubeurope
there was saying that goes along the lines of, "if you tell a lie frequently enough, it becomes the truth"

I guess that is what's going on here.
The Chinese idiom is 三人 成虎, and dates back to 200 BC. The.idea is if 3 people claim they saw a tiger, it becomes fact😊
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Crisu69
Was yesterday in the Pier and cant complain about the food there:
The salmon does look pretty good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.