Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Pier dining — what a let down!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by moondog
Last week, I decided to try out the Irish pub (something O'Leary's) for a change of pace. Apart from setting me back HKD500 for a burger, a beer, and a water, the food was actually worse than the Cabin (the Cabin is my favorite lounge at HKIA because it's hard to screw up simple food).
O'Learys (sic!) is a Swedish chain seeking to emulate the style of an American sports bar. They are found in railway stations and such like all across Sweden, and mysteriously now also in several international locations — I've spotted them at CPH and I did also see them at HKG the other day. Why a Swedish imitation of an American sports bar would be something worth exporting is beyond me.
kaka, SullyofDoha and clubeurope like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
O'Learys (sic!) is a Swedish chain seeking to emulate the style of an American sports bar. They are found in railway stations and such like all across Sweden, and mysteriously now also in several international locations — I've spotted them at CPH and I did also see them at HKG the other day. Why a Swedish imitation of an American sports bar would be something worth exporting is beyond me.
i agree, i hope you didnt go there.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sparkj
I have been to the CX J lounges many times, but was really excited to try the F lounges, after watching a number of blogs and youtube videos about how great they are. But alas I was so disappointed when I had breakfast at the Wing F on my last trip, it was absolutely horrible.

It was totally packed, even more people than The Deck during peak hours (but maybe felt that way because its smaller). There was even a dude asleep on the next table and snoring.
The food was cold, the Eggs Royale I had was even worse than a random eggs any random cafe in HK. If it was a real restaurant I would never go back.
The food at the buffet area was probably worse than the Pier J imo, with much less selection.
Maybe it was a bad day, but based on that alone I think I would rather go to any of the J lounges instead.... the only thing they had extra was their OK-level champagne.

In comparison, I've been pleasantly surprised every time I've been to the QF lounge. The staff are way friendlier, food is decent, some of the cocktails are great, and it feels way less packed.
Sadly the only thing I actually look forward to at the CX lounges nowadays are the showers.

Will go to the Pier F very soon, hopefully it will be better...
specifically what food options did you have at the QF j class lounge?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by londonexpert

beet root salad
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum

There is a chicken salad that is excellent, and their chinese dinner menu was decent, last time I think I had kung pao shrimp.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by sparkj
There is a chicken salad that is excellent, and their chinese dinner menu was decent, last time I think I had kung pao shrimp.
cooked to order of the buffet?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

cooked to order of the buffet?
buffet, but its well managed compared to the cook to order on cx
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by kaka

buffet, but its well managed compared to the cook to order on cx
def not last time I was there.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In US airports, I'm a sucker for sports bars and similar, even some of the cheesier chains. While my expectations aren't especially high, I can't recall ever being disappointed. In fact, sometimes I show up early when departing DCA so I can have a complete lunch at Legal. As such, when I saw the olearys place, I went in feeling confident....but, left feeling that I would have done far better pretty much anywhere else. Is there still a popeyes there?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:04 am
Suspended

def not last time I was there.
wont fight w u over cx food lol
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by kaka

wont fight w u over cx food lol
what’s there to fight?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
In US airports, I'm a sucker for sports bars and similar, even some of the cheesier chains. While my expectations aren't especially high, I can't recall ever being disappointed. In fact, sometimes I show up early when departing DCA so I can have a complete lunch at Legal. As such, when I saw the olearys place, I went in feeling confident....but, left feeling that I would have done far better pretty much anywhere else.
Trust me, Legal Seafoods is not your average US sports bar.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:24 am

Trust me, Legal Seafoods is not your average US sports bar.
leagals seafood is really good. Even the ones in logan

Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

leagals seafood is really good. Even the ones in logan

In particular the ones at Logan. It is a Boston institution!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:42 am

In particular the ones at Logan. It is a Boston institution!
the clam chowder. It is consistently good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.