FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   HKG Pier dining — what a let down! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1964231-hkg-pier-dining-what-let-down.html)

clubeurope Apr 7, 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 30974055)
ex-HKG i have seldom had the movenpick for some reason (i read they were changing to it). always seen the hagan daaz... do they mix it up actually?

strange... I've always gotten movenpick both inbound and outbound to/from HKG. Though now I suspect that movenpick is only served on long haul flights as opposed to regional ones as well(?). My flights from europe to hkg usually has movenpick...

somemale Apr 7, 2019 9:44 am

Can't speak as much for Pier F, however Pier J has definitely gone downhill in food and service. At the start I actually felt it was on par with what you'd expect pre-Sodexo, however my recent visits over the past few months were just bad. Not that I ever intentionally go to the airport to hang out in the lounge so I have extremely low expectations, but the difference I feel is just too obvious right now.

ieuan1 Apr 7, 2019 2:07 pm

Pier F v QF SYD F

I agree with the comment above that the quality of the ingredients in the QF First lounge has gone down over the years, but I still think the (western) food is better than CX/Sodexho in the Pier. However, the Accor/Novotel staff in SYD are much more consistent and professional than those of Sodexho. The wines in Sydney are also much better-a wider range and better quality (mainly Australian but still good). I can't comment but I suspect the Chinese/Asian food in HK is better than the Asian food in SYD-part of CX's problem is that it is trying to offer two different cuisines and doesn't really do a good job in either.

1010101 Apr 8, 2019 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 30971626)
Fair point — in all honestly, I've mostly based my illusions on reading the BA forum, which seems to hold this as the gold standard. But I don't think I could have gotten away with posting this rant there...

When The Pier opened it lived up to its reputation, it's still an excellent lounge but cost cutting has taken the shine off. It has such a reputation on the BA forum mostly because its being compared to BA's efforts in T5.

clubeurope Apr 8, 2019 3:32 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 30976918)
When The Pier opened it lived up to its reputation, it's still an excellent lounge but cost cutting has taken the shine off. It has such a reputation on the BA forum mostly because its being compared to BA's efforts in T5.

any OW lounge in hong kong is better than the corresponding BA lounges in LHR

chitink Apr 8, 2019 12:26 pm

My CX experiences in LHR are the worst, they were out of every vegetarian item but waited 10 minutes after ordering to come out and tell me. All of the servers seemed to have no idea what they are doing the other times, often I am told something is out, only later for them to suddenly "find" it. Also, they smell, the LHR servers do not seem to wear any type of deodorant which is really awful in an environment when one has to eat.

I hope it's just my experiences, but at least in HKG they have been better, if not always very slow.

agjil Apr 8, 2019 2:10 pm

While I like the two CX F lounges a lot, I never thought food was their strength at any time, even when Peninsula was in charge.
I agree that recently the food quality and service level in the dining room got even worse, and this is very disappointing.
I encourage everyone to file a complaint with CX about the poor dining experience in the lounges, so hopefully CX can take it seriously.

Ausriver Apr 9, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by ieuan1 (Post 30975493)
I agree with the comment above that the quality of the ingredients in the QF First lounge has gone down over the years, but I still think the (western) food is better than CX/Sodexho in the Pier. However, the Accor/Novotel staff in SYD are much more consistent and professional than those of Sodexho. The wines in Sydney are also much better-a wider range and better quality (mainly Australian but still good). I can't comment but I suspect the Chinese/Asian food in HK is better than the Asian food in SYD-part of CX's problem is that it is trying to offer two different cuisines and doesn't really do a good job in either.

Put it this way, the chinese food at QF F is very bad. The Gua Bao is a joke, very dry, any tiny foot stall in Taiwan would make it ten times better. The beef noodle soup they had the last few months was lack of taste in soup, the noodle were simply purchased from grocery shop. Remember couple of years ago they had the Chairman Mao pork with rice, that is absolutely the worst chairman mao pork I ever had, the colour, the taste, the presentation, all wrong. Anything else from the QF lounge, all very good.

Service wise they are mostly very good. I would prefer to dine at the bar table, where your food came a lot quicker, especially if you wanted to add anything.

moondog Apr 9, 2019 6:11 am

I miss popeyes

sparkj Apr 11, 2019 4:33 am

I have been to the CX J lounges many times, but was really excited to try the F lounges, after watching a number of blogs and youtube videos about how great they are. But alas I was so disappointed when I had breakfast at the Wing F on my last trip, it was absolutely horrible.

It was totally packed, even more people than The Deck during peak hours (but maybe felt that way because its smaller). There was even a dude asleep on the next table and snoring.
The food was cold, the Eggs Royale I had was even worse than a random eggs any random cafe in HK. If it was a real restaurant I would never go back.
The food at the buffet area was probably worse than the Pier J imo, with much less selection.
Maybe it was a bad day, but based on that alone I think I would rather go to any of the J lounges instead.... the only thing they had extra was their OK-level champagne.

In comparison, I've been pleasantly surprised every time I've been to the QF lounge. The staff are way friendlier, food is decent, some of the cocktails are great, and it feels way less packed.
Sadly the only thing I actually look forward to at the CX lounges nowadays are the showers.

Will go to the Pier F very soon, hopefully it will be better...

moondog Apr 11, 2019 6:43 am

Last week, I decided to try out the Irish pub (something O'Leary's) for a change of pace. Apart from setting me back HKD500 for a burger, a beer, and a water, the food was actually worse than the Cabin (the Cabin is my favorite lounge at HKIA because it's hard to screw up simple food).

1010101 Apr 11, 2019 6:46 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30988529)
Last week, I decided to try out the Irish pub (something O'Leary's) for a change of pace. Apart from setting me back HKD500 for a burger, a beer, and a water, the food was actually worse than the Cabin (the Cabin is my favorite lounge at HKIA because it's hard to screw up simple food).

The Cabin? Do you mean The Bridge?

christep Apr 11, 2019 6:57 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30988529)
Last week, I decided to try out the Irish pub (something O'Leary's) for a change of pace. Apart from setting me back HKD500 for a burger, a beer, and a water

Seriously? That's what it would cost in a 5* hotel!

But according to the menus on OpenRice the most expensive burger is $158 including fries & slaw, the most expensive beer is $86, and the most expensive water is $68 (for 750ml). So that's $322 + 10% = $354; which I guess is in line with Lan Kwai Fong prices. How did it come to $500?

kaka Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am

lol
just go to one of the establishments in the city

kaka Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 30988538)
The Cabin? Do you mean The Bridge?

ask when that experience was. he prob meant the cabin.