Search

Fly cx over AA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United
Fly cx over AA?

Newbie here,

I have an upcoming trip and want to earn miles, but afraid my CX flights won't earn any AA miles. I can't pony up for premium economy or business, and the economy fare bucket isn't Y. I could still fly Cathay from LAX to HKG on the way over (as I've never flown them and have heard great things for Economy), and do AA or even United coming back. I have no status on anything, but would like to at least bank some miles flying all that way. Any suggestion would be great!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Gilligan44
Newbie here,

I have an upcoming trip and want to earn miles, but afraid my CX flights won't earn any AA miles. I can't pony up for premium economy or business, and the economy fare bucket isn't Y. I could still fly Cathay from LAX to HKG on the way over (as I've never flown them and have heard great things for Economy), and do AA or even United coming back. I have no status on anything, but would like to at least bank some miles flying all that way. Any suggestion would be great!
Within Oneworld it is indeed difficult to earn miles on partner flights if you only buy cheap tickets.

If you want AA miles and do not have any status at all, why don't you fly with AA (which does offer LAX-HKG)? Was the schedule inconvenient?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:43 am

Would you mind one-stop flight? Like flying JAL
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gilligan44
Newbie here,

If you want AA miles, you should fly on AA.
kaffir76 and royng like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you want AA miles, you should fly on AA.
And if you want a better experience fly JL or CX.
kaka, prw555, kaffir76 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If you end up on a 10x 77W, AA is the same as CX, and has much better food. And, JL has the NRT stop, which makes it a nonstarter for me.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
flying on JL keeps the flight shorter which is good for preventing DVT

and you can avoid selfish AA flyers talking over skype which throws a wrench into the system and is a waste of time for anyone else who wants to use the wifi. JL bans voip and most cx flight hasnt got wifi yet.
vindor likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
If you end up on a 10x 77W, AA is the same as CX, and has much better food. And, JL has the NRT stop, which makes it a nonstarter for me.
to the op
if you want AA miles, the flight via tokyo actually gets you a little more and sometimes its cheaper. sometimes the codeshare flight gets you the JL metal too.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:25 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
While I 100% disagree AA has better food, you can fly AA - ticketed CX - operated flight, whose price sometimes is higher due to AA codeshare.
kaka and flubber like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
AA’s operational reliability is terrible. Plus given the timing of that flight, when goes MX or otherwise, generally hosed in regard to being protected same day to get out to Asia. CX have 3 flights a day (was 4?) to HKG. I’d go with CX, no question.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
LAX-HKG fares are generally pretty cheap (routinely ~$400 RT), so your earnings on an AA coded flight are going to be fairly minimal. Example: a $700 AA ticket on LAX-HKG (of which $90 is taxes) will only earn around 3k miles. You really can't do much of anything with that, so unless you plan to continue to fly oneworld on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't overthink your decision here.

I'd suggest flying the carrier with the best balance of cost, timing and inflight product.

Also, AA food in J and F is pretty dire (can't speak to long haul food offerings in Y on either carrier). CX definitely has a clear competitive advantage on this score. Cabin service on CX is also worlds more consistent than AA. AA can be fine, but it's very hit or miss (more miss than hit, in my experience).
andersonCooper and kaffir76 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by prw555
AA’s operational reliability is terrible. Plus given the timing of that flight, when goes MX or otherwise, generally hosed in regard to being protected same day to get out to Asia. CX have 3 flights a day (was 4?) to HKG. I’d go with CX, no question.
1. I want to clarify my boast about AA's food. While I do think it is better than CX in Y and J (CX has a solid edge in F though), the bar is pretty low, so I would not make this a deciding factor
2. I certainly agree that 4 flights is better than 1, but when the AA flight goes tits up, they will usually endorse you to CX
3. IIRC, getting AA miles on CX flights requires an H fare or higher; this is expensive
4. I think the NRT connection idea is dumb on multiple levels
-you get 20 more miles, BUT the JL flight will probably only accrue at 70%, which is obviously a net loss v the AA nonstop
-as much as I dislike AA's 10-abreast 77Ws, the planes JL flies NRT-HKG are worse
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just to add my latest experience recently in Y on CX [I've not flown CX in Y for the last 4 years], albeit not between US and HKG, I found that the standard of service on CX in Y to have gone down dramatically (based on 2 long-haul flights)
- Cabin Attendants are rather surly and arrogant
- food quality if ok - though seem to be much smaller
- cabin attendants seem to 'dissapear' after the meal service - did not notice any offerings of water/liquid throughout the flight. Even going back to the gallery to get water/snack - attendants were quite surly (like even you going back there to get your own items, it was a burden to them)

If i had a choice between the 3 considered airlines here I would go for
1) JL - even with the stop in at NRT (if the transfer time is about 2-3 hours) - to enjoy some Japanese shopping/food
2) AA - at least service (although not the best) - but still more or less consistent and you can mentally be prepared for it
3) CX

Cheers!
HarbourGent and kaka like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Just to add my latest experience recently in Y on CX [I've not flown CX in Y for the last 4 years], albeit not between US and HKG, I found that the standard of service on CX in Y to have gone down dramatically (based on 2 long-haul flights)
- Cabin Attendants are rather surly and arrogant
- food quality if ok - though seem to be much smaller
- cabin attendants seem to 'dissapear' after the meal service - did not notice any offerings of water/liquid throughout the flight. Even going back to the gallery to get water/snack - attendants were quite surly (like even you going back there to get your own items, it was a burden to them)

If i had a choice between the 3 considered airlines here I would go for
1) JL - even with the stop in at NRT (if the transfer time is about 2-3 hours) - to enjoy some Japanese shopping/food
2) AA - at least service (although not the best) - but still more or less consistent and you can mentally be prepared for it
3) CX

Cheers!
I really never heard my EXP/CK friends praising AA's services are consistent; hit or miss with mostly miss is what I would expect.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by kaka

flying on JL keeps the flight shorter which is good for preventing DVT

and you can avoid selfish AA flyers talking over skype which throws a wrench into the system and is a waste of time for anyone else who wants to use the wifi. JL bans voip and most cx flight hasnt got wifi yet.
I think CX has introduced wifi to many aircraft. My Feb. HKG-YVR-JFK//IAD-HKG and Mar. HKG-LAX-HKG all had wifi. CX also bans VOIP.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.