SL vs EM op-up priority

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

SL vs EM op-up priority

So when they process op-up, will they give priority over SL or EM first? I have both SL and EM and deciding which one should I use for OLCI.

In the past I always thought that EM should give you better chance and I consistently get op-up from Y to PY on BKK-HKG-JPN routes. But one time after I got op-upped I ask to change my FF from EM to SL at BKK check-in counter and the agent said he need to call and ask if I will still eligible for op-up, before he told my that his supervisor said SL priority is over EM so I should keep the upgraded seat.

So anyone has experience or any idea regard SL/EM thing? Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Zerothman
So when they process op-up, will they give priority over SL or EM first? I have both SL and EM and deciding which one should I use for OLCI.

In the past I always thought that EM should give you better chance and I consistently get op-up from Y to PY on BKK-HKG-JPN routes. But one time after I got op-upped I ask to change my FF from EM to SL at BKK check-in counter and the agent said he need to call and ask if I will still eligible for op-up, before he told my that his supervisor said SL priority is over EM so I should keep the upgraded seat.

So anyone has experience or any idea regard SL/EM thing? Thank you.
I heard SL is now higher then EM in the pecking order...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Zerothman
after I got op-upped I ask to change my FF from EM to SL ... his supervisor said SL priority is over EM so I should keep the upgraded seat.
these 2 together doesn't make sense to me. did u reverse the first sentence?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcuslai
these 2 together doesn't make sense to me. did u reverse the first sentence?
Because I OLCI so I have my mobile boarding pass. I got op-up before I arrived at the airport as my new boarding pass was pushed to my phone.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
If your op-up was processed before you arrived at the airport, it probably wasn't done at the front desk. My guess is the unagent would be unlikely to downgrade because there'd be a chain of reactions that would happen after - new seat for you, someone else should get upgraded instead, etc. I dont have direct knowledge but just using logic. Given that what the agent said doesn't make any sense, I wouldn't put much stock into anything else.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
SL is indeed ahead of EM (which is fair!)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
To add a data point, I have had several opups over the last year (Y to PEY/J) when my BA Emerald number is in the booking, but absolutely none when my CX Gold number is...
fakecd and wyskevin like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Does CX have a way to track frequent flyers on a more granular basis? For example to assign a higher upgrade priority to "high golds" (those who are close to diamond) vs "low golds" (those who just managed to sneak over). Likewise a OWE could be anywhere on the range from a CXMP green through to a CXMP diamond plus in terms of their actual travel on CX flights.

Yes, I know that CX can't even get a website or app right, but you would think it's not too difficult to track each individual flyer's actual value to CX.
flubber likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
SL gets op-up over EM, while EM gets personal greeting but not SL?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
OWE even get more attentive service more than CX GO onboard. It doesn’t make sense to me at all but that’s how it is... I guess that’s the strategy of CX to attract OWE flying with them...

I always think CX GO stands in an awkward position- difficult to get but benefit/privilege is low.
royng and Jackolee like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:24 am

Thought they moved to a $ value to CX basis now for opups?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
as a EM (BA) I get op up 50% on the time on my Y PVG-HKG flights, which are elite heavy, but I also spend a lot on CX with LH in J or F, before the $ was implemented, my op-up were not so frequent
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by wyskevin
OWE even get more attentive service more than CX GO onboard. It doesn’t make sense to me at all but that’s how it is... I guess that’s the strategy of CX to attract OWE flying with them...
It makes very good sense when the OWE flies CX as much as a Diamond member. It makes a lot less sense when a OWE flies as much as a CXMP Green. That's why CX should have systems that can assess exactly how much any OW/CXMP frequent flyer is spending with CX.

Originally Posted by SLGO
I think most of us would rather have the op-up than the greeting!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
SL is indeed ahead of EM (which is fair!)
I beg to differ. I would say OWE should have a higher priority.

Setting aside the 1-sector requirement, while an OWE can heavily "invest" on CX while earning the status somewhere else, a SL can also heavily "invest" on other OW airlines while earning the status with CX.

If giving op-up will help increasing revenue, while OWE may not heavily "invest" on CX prior to the op-up, at least CX knows this OWE is willing to spend (or at the minimum travel). On the other hand, even a SL may be so loyal to CX, the op-up may not result as much impact as OWE.

Originally Posted by Too much travel
Does CX have a way to track frequent flyers on a more granular basis? For example to assign a higher upgrade priority to "high golds" (those who are close to diamond) vs "low golds" (those who just managed to sneak over). Likewise a OWE could be anywhere on the range from a CXMP green through to a CXMP diamond plus in terms of their actual travel on CX flights.
CX is doing that now.

Because now all MPC members earn CP instead of club miles, and CP is earned based on fare classes, CX in fact knows who are "high golds" vs "low golds".
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
feel that SL are CXs most captive client base.

SL fly too little in premium to get gold... yet frequently enough (likely for business in Y) - hence they get to this place called SL.

Given their pattern of flying, its likely they will not qualify for ows anywhere else and enjoy lounge benefits. but they get this from special lounge perk from CX much makes them want to fly CX more (very good move).

in other words, it is hard to see a SL getting SL mainly from OW flights given the Y bias (and likely to be in lower fare classes which make it hard to accumulate CX Cps).

so who to opup? the SL who is a CX captive already? or OWE who is probably higher value overall - ie the person whose total yearly airline spend most definitely higher than the SL, but may/may not fly CX more?
HarbourGent likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.