Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for upgrade onboard...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Paying for upgrade onboard...

Has anyone actually done this on CX? I wasn't sure but I think someone was trying to actually pay for an upgrade on board, he already moved to the seat across the aisle before the doors closed, the ISM was showing something with the iPad...but in the end he was sent back once we were cruising.

[The guy also snuck into an enclosed immigration section reserved for arriving Filipino passengers who cannot use the newly installed e-channel]
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Has anyone actually done this on CX? I wasn't sure but I think someone was trying to actually pay for an upgrade on board, he already moved to the seat across the aisle before the doors closed, the ISM was showing something with the iPad...but in the end he was sent back once we were cruising.

[The guy also snuck into an enclosed immigration section reserved for arriving Filipino passengers who cannot use the newly installed e-channel]
I saw someone pay onboard. . They used a handheld cc machine to process the payment.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I think I know OP's Instagram now... Nice pic!

Back to topic: I witnessed a guy in Y asking SP on upgrading to J (with PEY cabin) but SP explained only one class was allowed, so the guy did not pursue further.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I've done a points upgrade onboard. The purser used an IPAD and processed it all in the air. Very convenient.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I think I know OP's Instagram now... Nice pic!
How did you find out??
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Is onboard upgrade possible with CX? I thought CX has been stringent / expensive in allowing (paid) upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
I'm very curious about this as I thought I read on flyertalk that it wasn't possibe, however have spoken to a former flight crew SP whom told me it was.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I think the after the roll out of the iPad to ISM and SP, it's now possible. I'm just curious what happened because the ISM apologized and sent the guy back (unsure whether its EY or PEY)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flubber
How did you find out??
I posted about it last Monday night.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by somemale
I'm very curious about this as I thought I read on flyertalk that it wasn't possibe, however have spoken to a former flight crew SP whom told me it was.
you pay full fare difference
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I've done a points upgrade onboard. The purser used an IPAD and processed it all in the air. Very convenient.
I know you can do cash upgrade on-board but Asia Miles, too? Do they have the information of the sub-class booked to determine if the pax is eligible?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I know you can do cash upgrade on-board but Asia Miles, too? Do they have the information of the sub-class booked to determine if the pax is eligible?
Mine was definitely an Asia Miles upgrade and they knew my flight was eligible.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by kaka

you pay full fare difference
Actually it's more than full fare difference

e.g. I know how much it takes to upgrade Y fare to J fare before flight (e.g. around HK$3,600 for HKG-PEK), but if you upgrade at airport or even onboard, it'll be north of HK$4000
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by sscywong
Actually it's more than full fare difference

e.g. I know how much it takes to upgrade Y fare to J fare before flight (e.g. around HK$3,600 for HKG-PEK), but if you upgrade at airport or even onboard, it'll be north of HK$4000
Yikes! Why would people do that? They've missed out on the ground benefits like lounge and extra luggage allowance. Would they even get the tier points and miles for the upgraded cabin?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by dddc
Yikes! Why would people do that? They've missed out on the ground benefits like lounge and extra luggage allowance. Would they even get the tier points and miles for the upgraded cabin?
Probably not common but maybe the person got ill after boarding the plane (hopefully not contagious disease and still decide to travel), like back pain or something and really want a better seat at that point?

On one trip I had a really bad stomach flu on the day I need to travel back home. Luckily, I was in J and had a flat bed and that helped. If I was in Y, I would have asked for a possible upgrade in cash as my mind was like ''I don't care anymore, just want to lie down and get back home ASAP''!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.