FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Ex PEK delays - Safe CX transfer time? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1961830-ex-pek-delays-safe-cx-transfer-time.html)

Oneworldflyer64 Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Ex PEK delays - Safe CX transfer time?

I have always heard horror stories of delays up to a few hours out of PEK and PVG due to shared airspace with the military. What is generally a safe transit time for ex PEK flights to HKG and then HKG to other locations?

I'm currently booked on the below in J class:

-KA993 (Depart PEK 18:35, Arrive HKG 22:25)
-CX880 (Depart HKG 00:05, Arrive LAX 22:10)
Transit time of 1:40

Would this be okay / would it be worth to switch to an earlier but more expensive flight?

ChrisLi Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Just go to PEK earlier and ask for earlier flight on day of departure. If you definitely cannot miss the flight then do advanced rebooking.

I have flown from PEK on Air China in last few months but never met with any delay, but it can just be me being lucky

Oneworldflyer64 Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks Chris, does CX do free same day rebookings if you come to the airport earlier to get on an earlier flight (obviously if there's availability)? I've done this on american airlines before but have never tried on CX now that I've come to think of it.

kaka Mar 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jason Chan (Post 30911466)
Thanks Chris, does CX do free same day rebookings if you come to the airport earlier to get on an earlier flight (obviously if there's availability)? I've done this on american airlines before but have never tried on CX now that I've come to think of it.

depending on fare rules

but if you have a connection esp on cx they MIGHT let you off thr hook

moondog Mar 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jason Chan (Post 30911452)
I have always heard horror stories of delays up to a few hours out of PEK and PVG due to shared airspace with the military. What is generally a safe transit time for ex PEK flights to HKG and then HKG to other locations?

I'm currently booked on the below in J class:

-KA993 (Depart PEK 18:35, Arrive HKG 22:25)
-CX880 (Depart HKG 00:05, Arrive LAX 22:10)
Transit time of 1:40

Would this be okay / would it be worth to switch to an earlier but more expensive flight?

The delay situation is vastly improved, but I wouldn't dream of attempting that connection. Have you looked into the PEK-LAX flights (2 on CA and 1 on AA) ? In addition to shaving 6 hours off total travel time, you won't have to stress about the HK connection.

kaka Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30911666)
The delay situation is vastly improved, but I wouldn't dream of attempting that connection. Have you looked into the PEK-LAX flights (2 on CA and 1 on AA) ? In addition to shaving 6 hours off total travel time, you won't have to stress about the HK connection.

too bad service on those airlines are to be desired even when cx is not atvtheir best.

not to mention OP may have reason to fly CX, such as tier points, which ca cannot provide

brunos Mar 20, 2019 10:28 pm

As stated above, the delay situation has been vastly improving in the past few months.
But, that is still to short to my taste. If the price difference is small, I would not hesitate to pad an extra 2 hours.
Note that in days of delays, CX will let you take an earlier flight for free is space available.

Oneworldflyer64 Mar 20, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm choosing this route because I found it at a decent price and to get extra tier points as well since I'm close to diamond. The ex PEK was a little pricier on that day and comes with less points.

brunos Mar 21, 2019 1:07 am

The previous CX flights departs PEK at 16:40, CX331. SO you might try to get at airport a big hour before.
But don't worry too much. If all flights are delayed, Say CX331 departing at 18:00, just ask to be put on it.

Oneworldflyer64 Mar 21, 2019 4:19 am

Thanks a lot for your advice brunos!

caimaster Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

I have a even shorter connection. My flight is from PVG-HKG-SFO, CX5809 to CX872 with only 60mins of connection. This is a published fare. I don't really have an option as my meeting ends late and it's 1.5 hour train ride to PVG.

If I missed the CX872 connection, will CX place me on the next flight out at no charge? This is a paid J ticket.

moondog Mar 21, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by caimaster (Post 30913612)
I have a even shorter connection. My flight is from PVG-HKG-SFO, CX5809 to CX872 with only 60mins of connection. This is a published fare. I don't really have an option as my meeting ends late and it's 1.5 hour train ride to PVG.

If I missed the CX872 connection, will CX place me on the next flight out at no charge? This is a paid J ticket.

Yes, they will protect you if you misconnect, but I suggest that you either book the overnight in HK from the get go, or grab UA's evening nonstop.

I often take after work flights from PEK/SHA to HKG. The delays don't impact me a great deal because HKG is my destination, but I've witnessed many crying passengers upon arrival in HKG (after it was explained to them that their connecting flights were long gone).

The one hour MCT assumes that inbound flights are close to on time. I flew PVG-HKG earlier this week in perfect weather with an onetime departure, and we still magaged to arrive 30 minutes late.

caimaster Mar 21, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30913716)
Yes, they will protect you if you misconnect, but I suggest that you either book the overnight in HK from the get go, or grab UA's evening nonstop.

I often take after work flights from PEK/SHA to HKG. The delays don't impact me a great deal because HKG is my destination, but I've witnessed many crying passengers upon arrival in HKG (after it was explained to them that their connecting flights were long gone).

The one hour MCT assumes that inbound flights are close to on time. I flew PVG-HKG earlier this week in perfect weather with an onetime departure, and we still magaged to arrive 30 minutes late.

Thanks for info. I'm a sucka for elite status and "loyal" to OW. Plus the ticket was much cheaper on CX than UA at the time of booking. I guess I'll plan on a possible hotel stay.

kaka Mar 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by caimaster (Post 30913793)
Thanks for info. I'm a sucka for elite status and "loyal" to OW. Plus the ticket was much cheaper on CX than UA at the time of booking. I guess I'll plan on a possible hotel stay.

theres still JL
or if u have a thru ticket, you can stick it up cx and get them to sort out hotels.

caimaster Mar 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30913806)

theres still JL
or if u have a thru ticket, you can stick it up cx and get them to sort out hotels.

It's a thru ticket. I booked SFO-HKG-PEK and PVG-HKG-SFO as multicity ticket with CX. It was surprisingly "cheap" slightly under $3K USD.