Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked out back row PY seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Blocked out back row PY seats

When we booked some PY seats recently for travel CDG-HKG-AKL-HKG-CDG in Dec19/Jan20, on all 4 sectors the online booking seat map (and expert flyer) showed the back row PY seats blocked with an X. What does this mean ? We're both One World Sapphire, so should we call the CX call centre and see if they'll assign them to us, preferably the AC or JK seats.

Last edited by Adgwn; Mar 10, 2019 at 3:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Same thing on EWR - HKG flights. I called and was told it was airport's requirement to assign seats to pax with needs (359); but JFK - HKG (77W) do not have this. Don't really believe this tbh.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Same thing on EWR - HKG flights. I called and was told it was airport's requirement to assign seats to pax with needs (359); but JFK - HKG (77W) do not have this. Don't really believe this tbh.
Same on CX899. Called in advance to reserve but rejected, CSR said will add remark. Checked 24 hrs later seat already assigned to me.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I’m curious why people would like to pre-select the last row? Is it better than the first one?
Btw, when I get op-up from Y to PY at checkin counter or gate, usually I was assigned the last row. It seems right that the last row was controlled by airport crew.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
last row you can recline without worrying about pax behind you. for overnight flight not a bad way to just recline and sleep from takeoff
wyskevin and Texter like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:23 am

CX twitter rep has confirmed this is new policy that the last row is reserved for R or above tickets only.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I have a coming up return flight from HKG to Sydney, both ways were PE booked as T class. There is no problem for me to select the last row seats online or CX app. Maybe status helps?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by wyskevin
I have a coming up return flight from HKG to Sydney, both ways were PE booked as T class. There is no problem for me to select the last row seats online or CX app. Maybe status helps?
I think CX status helps, but maybe not other OneWorld status. As OWE (AA EXP). Booked PE E class and was told that last row was not bookable on HKG-SFO. I was able to grab it on shorter segments.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by olouie
I think CX status helps, but maybe not other OneWorld status. As OWE (AA EXP). Booked PE E class and was told that last row was not bookable on HKG-SFO. I was able to grab it on shorter segments.
Not sure if that's related to AC, but I am also able to reserve last row on JFK - HKG (77W), but not on EWR - HKG (359) when making dummy bookings, as OWE.

SYD - HKG are also on 77W, and I am able to reserve last row as well.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Not sure if that's related to AC, but I am also able to reserve last row on JFK - HKG (77W), but not on EWR - HKG (359) when making dummy bookings, as OWE.

SYD - HKG are also on 77W, and I am able to reserve last row as well.
what fare class?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:52 am

what fare class?
I am comparing apples to apples so all E.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I have R fare tix for my upcoming flight (ICN-HKG) and I'm not able to select last row of PE (center section available). I actually opted for the first row of PE after experiencing how much of a recline one gets!! The guy in front of me didn't care. So, maybe I'm missing something, but there is no way I'd want to be window last row of PE.
fairhsa and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX twitter rep has confirmed this is new policy that the last row is reserved for R or above tickets only.
This doesn’t sound like it’s answering the question correctly. This sounds like talking about reserving seats generally, not specifically the last row.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Last few times on paid PE tix, the last row was blocked on EF - not sure what the reason was but upon boarding, there were other passengers seated there. I'd prefer having no one behind me rather than the first row where people might walk across to cross between aisles.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I was able to choose the last row (33) without problem on a T class ticket 72 hours before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.