Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate renumbering at HKIA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by corbomite
Oops I stand corrected but the approach that HKG used to use is highly similar to the same one that ICN uses, T1 gates are all below 100, the satellite is all 100-number gates and T2 are all 200-number gates. Using alphabet letters to denote exits or doors in Korea is something almost unheard of.
I would understand for Korea and perhaps even Japan. However, Hong Kong has a long history of western influence where even for people don't understand English, they still at least understand the alphabet!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i personally do not see any necessity to use alphabet as prefixes except for being able to reuse numbers.
as long as you have <100 gates in 1 section, having prefixes as the hundreds digit works fine.

unless you start calling terminals/piers A B C...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i personally do not see why they have to change something that is not broken
kaka and tentseller like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ermen
i personally do not see why they have to change something that is not broken
they want to make the rubbish bus terminal sound like its part of the main terminal

those flights cause backlogs on the runway (more seperation when sandwiched between widebodies), have low runway utilization (because it carries less pax) and goes to low value places.

should reject those flight or price then according to runway utilization.

then we dont need that so called terminal nor change gate numbers
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
That “bus terminal” is going to be joined to the main terminal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC
And on a tangent of the ''bus terminal", the public buses in HK, including those from HKIA, have a plethora of letters in their route numbers.

Whilst there will be some who will struggle with letters the vast majority of the locals from the wider region will be ok with letters, although I agree that they would probably be happier to refer to letters as written rather than spoken as with varying dialects how letters are pronounced will vary and can get lost in translation.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:08 am
Suspended

I don’t think letters would get lost in translation in Hong Kong but I seriously do not think there is any value to add to using letters instead of using 3 digits.
it did feel a bit weird in the beginning, but it works now
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
<edit - deleted, may have misunderstood the original>

Last edited by christep; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:31 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Another possible reason not to use alphabetical prefixes to gates is that some pax may think or confuse is with their seat number, and mistake their seat as their gate number (I've seen this many times)

In addition, while most of local HK residents understand some degree of english, or at least know the alphabets, there are also a lot of transfer pax from other countries in the region, where english proficency is lower.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sozee
Another possible reason not to use alphabetical prefixes to gates is that some pax may think or confuse is with their seat number, and mistake their seat as their gate number (I've seen this many times)
possibly, and i see no good reason to use alphanumeric combo as gate “numbers” but....
In addition, while most of local HK residents understand some degree of english, or at least know the alphabets, there are also a lot of transfer pax from other countries in the region, where english proficency is lower.
i think thats of the least concerns- many places around hk do actually use roman alphabets as part of the language.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: CX DM
I believe it’s because the “North Satellite Concourse” will be connected to the main terminal next year.

Speaking of which, Dragon Island is going to need a new moniker — Dragon Peninsula anyone?
kaka, brunos, QRC3288 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sxc

I expect the reason why this has been done a year in advance is because it will take some getting used to. Confusion from both the new bridge and renumbering of old gates was probably considered too much change at one time.
Ya I can see the reasoning behind that, I'm just hoping I won't walk to the wrong gate by mistake the 1st time, d'oh

Originally Posted by sxc
That “bus terminal” is going to be joined to the main terminal.
Better to have the "Bus Terminal" then using the 500s Buses, granted waiting for the SQ 388s to move off the taxiway at 3pm is annoying there.
At least we can still have priority boarding at the bus terminal vs. only having the privilege of being sardines on the bus first

Originally Posted by CBR922
I believe it’s because the “North Satellite Concourse” will be connected to the main terminal next year.

Speaking of which, Dragon Island is going to need a new moniker — Dragon Peninsula anyone?
LOL
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by CBR922
Dragon Peninsula actually sounds like a great name for KA in a parallel universe
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by christep
This is simply not true. "T2" at HKG refers simply to a separate check-in area which some arlines use. There is no fixed link between where your plane leaves from and whether you use check-in area T1 or T2.
I think that post was referring to Incheon rather than HKIA
christep likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by corbomite
All airports in mainland China and Korea don't use letter prefixes in front of the gate numbers because of pronunciation issues.
Well, PEK T3 do use letter prefixes (C01-C37, D01-D15, E01-E36).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.