FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Economy seat cost? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1960078-economy-seat-cost.html)

ReginaW Mar 9, 2019 11:00 am

Economy seat cost?

I can't seem to find the cost of an economy seat on Cathay Pacific. The flight would be Toronto to Osaka, with a connection in HKG. The fare class is Economy Save.

Also, what are the chances of getting two seats together if I wait til 48 hour checkin to select our seats?
seats.
Thanks.

ricktoronto Mar 9, 2019 2:58 pm

The cost to select a seat or the fare for that route?

Just go to the CX web site and enter the dates and you'll see the price. It's not clear why you cannot find the cost because you have not said what happened or when you want to travel to Osaka. You could use a travel agent as well, as their fee is modest (like $40) and they can sometimes find routes and fares more easily (and more easily than your luck so far).

As to the latter I bet pretty slim but on these basic fares you are able to book seats early with a fee, If it's important then pay or be Johnny on the spot 48 hours out.

FYI I did a quick test booking out April 3 and back April 24 and basic economy was CAD$1,624 per person round trip. Out at 0145, arrive HKG 0500, leave HKG 0755 and arrive at KIX 1255. A day later of course.

Seats assuming you found a fare are according to CX:

We’re now extending regular seat reservations to passengers travelling on Economy Super Saver, Economy Save, or fanfares tickets – for a nominal fee, depending on the origin and destination of your flight, from HKD60/USD8 to HKD330/USD43.

For that distance it's a safe bet it's US$43. The fare which includes seats, has a lower change fee and more Asia Miles points costs CAD$250 more per person.

For seats which won't kill you assuming you are taller than 5 feet:

If you need more leg space when you fly, you can stretch out with our extra legroom seats in Economy Class – available for an additional fee from HKD180 / USD23 to HKD1,550 / USD199, depending on the origin and destination of your flight.

Again I'd bet on US$199.

ReginaW Mar 9, 2019 3:02 pm

Yes sorry, I meant advance seat selection (not the fare). I saw that info about general cost but I couldn't find the specific cost to select seat.

Thanks very much for your reply and info provided.

ricktoronto Mar 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ReginaW (Post 30867049)
Yes sorry, I meant advance seat selection (not the fare). I saw that info about general cost but I couldn't find the specific cost to select seat.

Thanks very much for your reply and info provided.

It's on the CX website under reserve a seat (what's not clear if it's per leg or each way but I think my guess that the most expensive is likely at least YYZ/HKG).

That's a miserable flight in coach so you may want to see how much Premium Economy is or add the $400 US to get seats with legroom.

Hmmm.. did a quick EF check on fares and they are CAD3,440 base fare so 50% more than coach + exit rows.

ReginaW Mar 10, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm short so sitting in economy should be fine. Its funny, last time I sat in premium economy on China Southern Airlines - I was so uncomfortable for the 15 hour flight. I was so happy when I got to sit in regular economy for the rest of my trip. The only thing I enjoyed in PE was all the good food.

Pickles Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by ReginaW (Post 30870531)
The only thing I enjoyed in PE was all the good food.

Sounds like you're easy to please. In that case, you'll probably be just fine in economy.

watery Mar 10, 2019 10:41 pm

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ular-seat.html
Checked with a dummy booking it's CAD57.79 for YYZ-HKG and CAD17.47 for HKG-KIX (i.e. pay per sector/flight) for a regular seat, the above terms also states it may fluctuate as converted from USD. If any sector is priced above Economy save (i.e. YBHKMLV) you can get free seat selection for that part and optionally pay for the Economy Save part.
I think they'll hold some seat till T-48 but it's upon you to buy for sense of security.

ReginaW Mar 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks for finding out the price. I think I'll wait til check-in for our seats.