Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

F Lounge access...arrive in F, depart in J...Leave airport in between

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA

Hi All, I've seen a few posts over time about this... I arrive in HKG in F (from LAX) and depart in J (to SYD), therefore I should be entitled to visit the F lounges during my transit time. From recollection though, I have had issues with this where I show up at the F lounge and they ask for my onward ticket then denied me entry.

I'm doing this again soon, but with a twist. There are 18 hours between my incoming flight and my departure, during which time I was going to leave the airport and spend the day in the city. So when I come back to HKG airport, clear security and arrive at the lounge, it will have been many (probably 12) hours since my F flight landed, and only a few hours til my J flight leaves.

Can I still show up at the F lounge and be entitled to enter? Any tips on what to do if they try to deny me entry on the grounds that my onward flight is in J?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jdmp
Hi All, I've seen a few posts over time about this... I arrive in HKG in F (from LAX) and depart in J (to SYD), therefore I should be entitled to visit the F lounges during my transit time. From recollection though, I have had issues with this where I show up at the F lounge and they ask for my onward ticket then denied me entry.
I don't believe the highlighted part is true per OW rules.

Unless you have OW status, try the lounge meet up thread here.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I'm pretty sure you will not have any issue. First, I took 1st class from SFO - HKG and J class from HKG - SIN last Dec. and had no issue accessing to the 1st class lounge during my transit. No question ask either. Just show my 1st class lounge invitation and walked in. Did you receive your 1st class lounge invitation previously????? I find it very hard to believe you were denied before when flying 1st class inbound and during transit for your onward flight regardless of the class. Unless you outbound is not CX, I can't answer if it's other One World flight.

Second, I will have an upcoming 1st class flight again but this time will have a 8 hours transit as I need to leave the airport to do some errand(HKID) before returning back to catch my continuing flight. I'm 100% confident I will have no issue. Here's my question for you,
  1. Are you flying CX from HKG - SYD? If not, I can't promise anything. As for One World carrier, I am not familiar with the rule regarding One World
  2. Is your transit overnight? If you arrive late at night like closing of the lounge, your lounge pass is not be valet for the next day. Pass is only valet on the day the invitation stamped and not by the hour
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Below is the relevant extract from the oneworld rules. Under oneworld rules, because you are connecting from a longhaul flight to another longhaul flight, you don't qualify for F lounge access. However, CX rules are a little more flexible, and I don't think you will have any issue access either of the F lounges on production of your F and J boarding passes together with a mention of 'connecting from F'.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
As stated above, the OP is not entitled to the F lounge, opposite to what he/she assumes. But I think it's likely access is granted assuming my point #2 below isn't valid.

problem #1 : It is a longhaul to longhaul connection. Hence, the SIN example above is not apples to apples, since that's longhaul to shorthaul and explicitly entitled. Oneworld rules posted above by other posters.

However, problem #1 is very likely NOT to be a problem since CX seems to have the nice habit of giving people on transit itineraries higher lounge access of the inbound flight if applicable, regardless if second flight is a longhaul flight.

But, it's still worth knowing for the OP that he/she is technically not entitled, the rules are very clear.

Problem #2 : this will sink the OP if true. The OP doesn't say which LAX flight he/she is arriving on. I think it's either CX881 or 883, since 18 hours later are some Australia flights. This is no problem. But if landing on CX885 (day 1) and leaving to SYD the following morning or early evening (day 2), although this is less than 24 hour transit, he/she is also not entitled to lounge access. Because it crosses an airport day. Only same airport day transits are allowed, and we've had folks even on cash F tickets report back they were denied the following morning 12-18 hours later.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA
Thanks for all the info guys. My long transit isn't overnight, so from what I see above, I won't be entitled to F Lounge access, but will likely get it. I'll try to make sure I get an F Lounge invitation at LAX checkin. Thanks again.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Originally Posted by jdmp
Thanks for all the info guys. My long transit isn't overnight, so from what I see above, I won't be entitled to F Lounge access, but will likely get it. I'll try to make sure I get an F Lounge invitation at LAX checkin. Thanks again.
I think you will actually be entitled because CX's rules are bit different.

You can try to OLCI first, last month I travelled PEK-HKG-SYD, PEK-HKG in F and HKG-SYD in J, got F lounge invitation at OLCI so I think you will be fine.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by rays

I think you will actually be entitled because CX's rules are bit different.

You can try to OLCI first, last month I travelled PEK-HKG-SYD, PEK-HKG in F and HKG-SYD in J, got F lounge invitation at OLCI so I think you will be fine.
Haha mate, if we're just being correct here...your situation is NOT the same. You are shorthaul to longhaul. He is longhaul to longhaul.

Of course it's mostly academic. Because I'm 85pct sure the OP will get F access. I've just seen too many reports on here to believe otherwise. But if they say no and are jerks, no I don't think they spell out internally (at least to front line staff) or externally any different rules..I think it's the unwritten rules which are different in practice only.

Just for the sake of posterity and accuracy.

It's also worth pointing out that your PEK type itinerary (shorthaul) is far more common than longhaul to longhaul in terms of anecdotes on here, the OP (longhaul/longhaul) a query we get a lot less. So it is at least possible CX enforces the letter of the law... although I doubt it.

My bet is similar to your situation, at LAX F lounge passes for HKG spit out.

​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.