Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Possible Acquisition - HK Express

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Jackolee

This can be overcome somehow by a sensitive pricing mechanism if the LCC flight is operated under CX group? If you need security for an onward flight, you will pay a premium for that. If you need to, say, accumulate Club Points, pay some extra for a higher fare class. If you don’t need these, pay less. This is the principle of an LCC, but items can be with more flexibility if it comes under an airline group. Although it’s not directly comparable, the deal between Emirates and flydubai is somehow like this ensuring connectivity as far as I understand.
LCC is not only about "pay for what you use", but also a smart balance to leave out everything you not really need to operate an airline. The moment you start to build in these "specialties", you need a back office to handle these things at both the organizational level as well as the practical implementation itself. And, don't forget, for each "function", you'll need around 3 employees to fulfill the role 24/7, year round. That'll give a huge cost increase. When these things are "outsourced" to CX/KA, it still adds the corresponding costs, consider an LCC having to live with the expensive daily choices of a major airline, pffffff.

LCC's are LCC's because they omit all these extra bells and whistles. And those limited bells and whistles available are unavoidable, though highly standardized, where the costs roughly do go linear with the scale of use.

Let alone the obligations around IROPS. The airline needs an organization to be able to work instantly on these things. CX/KA do have this, LCC's don't.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Will HKers protest on the street/HKG when all these flights become KA/CX operated and priced at HKD 4k?
i would be happy. better have the low value customer priced out so they would go to cheaper places

i agree cx food is cr@p long haul or short, and i’ve learnt to “enjoy” lounge food over plane food (thats why i do some runs to get to OWE year after year). the worse part is that cx y food on lh is equally bad as short haul, whilst airlines like ba and jl has better food in long haul.
also, somehow crew on other airline somehow manage to work on more things than cx’ and dont complain as hard.
Isochronous likes this.

Last edited by kaka; Mar 7, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Cambo
LCC is not only about "pay for what you use", but also a smart balance to leave out everything you not really need to operate an airline. The moment you start to build in these "specialties", you need a back office to handle these things at both the organizational level as well as the practical implementation itself. And, don't forget, for each "function", you'll need around 3 employees to fulfill the role 24/7, year round. That'll give a huge cost increase. When these things are "outsourced" to CX/KA, it still adds the corresponding costs, consider an LCC having to live with the expensive daily choices of a major airline, pffffff.

LCC's are LCC's because they omit all these extra bells and whistles. And those limited bells and whistles available are unavoidable, though highly standardized, where the costs roughly do go linear with the scale of use.

Let alone the obligations around IROPS. The airline needs an organization to be able to work instantly on these things. CX/KA do have this, LCC's don't.
Your views are respected, but I trust there’re ways to get around these issues. Some popular routes can be served both by CX and (its) LCC, balancing connectivity given the more slots they have. I don’t see why SQ/Silk Air/Scoot and Emirates/flydubai can do this but CX cannot. More choices for different passengers.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Jackolee

Your views are respected, but I trust there’re ways to get around these issues. Some popular routes can be served both by CX and (its) LCC, balancing connectivity given the more slots they have. I don’t see why SQ/Silk Air/Scoot and Emirates/flydubai can do this but CX cannot. More choices for different passengers.
Neither Scoot nor Flydubai are true LCC's like AirAsia or the many Indonesian ones, both do cater for some kind of "Business class", which is, etc.

Regarding Scoot, did you ever check out the limitations, when connecting with SQ ? You get common check-in on single tickets, luggage check-through on a kind of code-share (though pay for the luggage), and in case of IROPS a rebooking. Further, free food stamps (so not a guaranteed meal !), a free blanket and free seat selection. That's it.
You won't get these advantages on non-single tickets bookings, so you can assume, your Scoot leg is more expensive, when combined with an SQ ticket,

Would this work out positive ? Sure, but your ticket price is (probably significantly) higher than the normal Scoot LCC point-to-point pricing and the service level at Scoot would be disappointing when compared to the main airline, especially for elites....... It's more an operation that SQ does buy you a seat with goodies on a Scoot airplane at elevated pricing and organizes some things, Scoot doesn't normally offer.

Because Scoot seems to be a successful operation, your bad luck chances to encounter the normal LCC issues is low.

Can CX do something similar: Sure, why not, as long as the LCC operations are not "integrated" in the CX/KA operations.

See:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...irlines/scoot/
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:01 am

So the consensus (and I agree) is that this would be a good idea.

Many routes (anything under 2-3 hours) where I just don't want or need the frills of a KA or CX. By CX buying UO, they can copy SQ/ LH/ QF and rationalise routes around product - though there will be some markets where having both makes sense (CX/KA for connection flights, UO for local traffic). Win/ win for everybody (unless CX buys UO just to strangle it) Accor have been doing this for years (sofitel & ibis owned by same group)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
Would this work out positive ? Sure, but your ticket price is (probably significantly) higher than the normal Scoot LCC point-to-point pricing and the service level at Scoot would be disappointing when compared to the main airline, especially for elites....... It's more an operation that SQ does buy you a seat with goodies on a Scoot airplane at elevated pricing and organizes some things, Scoot doesn't normally offer.
Because Scoot seems to be a successful operation, your bad luck chances to encounter the normal LCC issues is low.
I think our views may not be different in terms of the feasibility. Possible mechanism for transit fellows has been discussed and won't repeat.
Our difference is only from the perspectives of elites (DM, DM+ or elites from partners) and 'non-elites' (GO or below). As mentioned, for top elites, of course there're differences. For me as GO travelling short-hauls from HK, KA service in Y now is marginally nothing better than UO, let alone the cost difference.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Okay let’s get back on to the topic of the potential HK Express acquisition.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
royng likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:35 am

Could be good news if they target them to leisure routes and raise the operating and safety standards

Might be best to just absorb them into KA rather than trying to sort out their messes in management and flight ops.

Effectively keep the slots and the aircraft leases and the brand but ditch everything else...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by yohy
Could be good news if they target them to leisure routes and raise the operating and safety standards

Might be best to just absorb them into KA rather than trying to sort out their messes in management and flight ops.

Effectively keep the slots and the aircraft leases and the brand but ditch everything else...
I think it's more likely to be the other way round. Inject KA's "leisure heavy" flights into UO, leave the "connection heavy" ones at KA so that there is seamlessness CX. That way Cathay lowers its overall cost base for the low yield flights in its network without hurting their brand beyond where they are.
feh likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:21 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I think it's more likely to be the other way round. Inject KA's "leisure heavy" flights into UO, leave the "connection heavy" ones at KA so that there is seamlessness CX. That way Cathay lowers its overall cost base for the low yield flights in its network without hurting their brand beyond where they are.
Exactly my fear, which is why I'm against this merger.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by KACommuter
I think it's more likely to be the other way round. Inject KA's "leisure heavy" flights into UO, leave the "connection heavy" ones at KA so that there is seamlessness CX.
Thats why I support the merger - as one from its home base. Please note “Leisure heavy” to HK people may primarily be those secondary or even smaller Japanese cities which CX/KA/UO are now operating and most of foreigners haven’t heard of!
But I think given there are more slots available in case of merger, there will be more flexible rather than a simply yes or no.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.

Last edited by Jackolee; Mar 9, 2019 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:00 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Well, from CX's perspective they saw out the challenge from O8 and managed to resist JetStar coming in.

Of course, re-acquired KA also.

I don't think CX has much of a choice, other than to seek to prevent someone else buying UO (and in due course HX?), in order to keep a hold on AOC's

I'd agree that should the acquisition go ahead, there'd be a shuffling of KA & UO metal, between leisure-heavy and business-connection routes, though not sure how much scope for change there actually is? Also when bearing in mind that there could be some price-focussed competition from the other end of some of those services.

On the other hand, what MIGHT happen would be for UO to concentrate on the "race to the bottom", whilst KA & CX refocus on being premium carriers. (Not sure how likely this would be though - more probably just wishful thinking)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Exactly my fear, which is why I'm against this merger.
what do you worry about for that?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo, Fortune Wings Club
seems this is a final puzzle for CX group.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: CXDM
Cathay agrees deal to take over HK express....

Here we go...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.