Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what happened to the CX829 YYZ-HKG flight this morning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know what happened to the CX829 YYZ-HKG flight this morning?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ppr992
From Toronto to Osaka for the first 17-18 hours of the trip we were served 1 meal. All snacks quickly ran out 8-9 hours into the flight. The second meal of breakfast was served after take off from KIX. I had to sip on orange juice just to get some blood sugar and stay conscious.
Flight took off YYZ 3 hours + late and another 2 hours on the ground in KIX. You do the math
See this is where it’s a bit confusing and a bit dishonest on your part. You make the delays sound longer (17-18 hours) and the running out of snacks (8-9hrs into the flight) shorter to make it appear worst that it is. I’m not saying it’s not bad, I’m just saying it’s confusing that you would you use two different time reference to suit your narrative.

Like I said, I believe YYZ-HKG flights only have two meals, supper and breakfast, were you expecting that the breakfast be served towards landing in KIX and for CX to load another meal while in KIX? (Of course I’m not even sure it’s possible.)

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Feb 28, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

See this is wheee it’s a bit confusing and a bit dishonest on your part. You make the delays sound longer (17-18 hours) and the running out of snacks (8-9hrs into the flight) shorter to make it appear worst that it is. I’m not saying it’s not bad, I’m just saying one it’s confusing that you would you use two different time reference to suit your narrative.

Like I said, I believe YYZ-HKG flights only have two meals, supper and breakfast, were you expecting that the breakfast be served towards landing in KIX and for CX to load another meal while in KIX? (Of course I’m not even sure it’s possible.)

exactly.

So the plane delayed YYZ for 5 hours. But a meal was served from YYZ-KIX? So assume the meal was served 2 hours into the 14 hour (actually should be less to KIX).
The OP mentioned there is some bun served during KIX? So he or she had def eaten then and not exposed to 18 hours without food? BReakfast was served from KIX-HKG.

Sure it is not a nice experience, but fare from life and death situation.

If it is a blood sugar issue, he or she should've been prepared for this and I am sure if it is so serious and he or she can alert the crew and alternative arrangement can be made.

Something doesn't add up.
etkuo, thekfc and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert
exactly.

So the plane delayed YYZ for 5 hours. But a meal was served from YYZ-KIX? So assume the meal was served 2 hours into the 14 hour (actually should be less to KIX).
The OP mentioned there is some bun served during KIX? So he or she had def eaten then and not exposed to 18 hours without food? BReakfast was served from KIX-HKG.

Sure it is not a nice experience, but fare from life and death situation.

If it is a blood sugar issue, he or she should've been prepared for this and I am sure if it is so serious and he or she can alert the crew and alternative arrangement can be made.

Something doesn't add up.
dude you are beyond moronic
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:03 am

dude you are beyond moronic
no need to be personal. Just because the truth has been exposed.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF, EK
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I flew YYZ-HKG in January last year, in J. There were two meals served on the flight, with snack options that you had to ask for during the massive 12 hour gap between meals. I arrived in Hong Kong very hungry. My flight was not delayed outbound from YYZ and I ate a large plate of food in the Plaza Premium Lounge prior to boarding. My thoughts on the 16 hour journey from YYZ-HKG was that more food needed to be proactively served.

There is no way I could personally go for 18 hours without eating. No way. Zero medical issues and I am a very fit person. If you had dinner at home/ restaurant/ whatever and expected to get on a plane around 1am and fall asleep you would be hungry when the flight is delayed 3-4 hours from the gate.

CX should have reloaded more food in KIX. I don’t know what the logistics or legalities of this are, but I’d you flew AC or the like from YYZ-KIX, there would be two meals on the flight.

I’m glad that everyone on CX 829 got to where they needed to be safely. And the IAH-KEF ‘delay’ Ouch!

It’s poor form for the service manger not to offer an apology in this situation. He/ she didn’t cause the situation but an apology shows some empathy.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by M.Wilson

I flew YYZ-HKG in January last year, in J. There were two meals served on the flight, with snack options that you had to ask for during the massive 12 hour gap between meals. I arrived in Hong Kong very hungry. My flight was not delayed outbound from YYZ and I ate a large plate of food in the Plaza Premium Lounge prior to boarding. My thoughts on the 16 hour journey from YYZ-HKG was that more food needed to be proactively served.

There is no way I could personally go for 18 hours without eating. No way. Zero medical issues and I am a very fit person. If you had dinner at home/ restaurant/ whatever and expected to get on a plane around 1am and fall asleep you would be hungry when the flight is delayed 3-4 hours from the gate.

CX should have reloaded more food in KIX. I don’t know what the logistics or legalities of this are, but I’d you flew AC or the like from YYZ-KIX, there would be two meals on the flight.

I’m glad that everyone on CX 829 got to where they needed to be safely. And the IAH-KEF ‘delay’ Ouch!

It’s poor form for the service manger not to offer an apology in this situation. He/ she didn’t cause the situation but an apology shows some empathy.

the point is no way can it be 18 hours without food. if the op can care to explain

As for you, did you ask for the snack?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: QF, EK
Originally Posted by londonexpert

the point is no way can it be 18 hours without food. if the op can care to explain

As for you, did you ask for the snack?
You bet I did

I think OP wrote 18 hours and one meal service. 3 hour delay at YYZ, 14ish hours to KIX, 90 mins or so on the ground to change crew, then get airborne again before 2nd meal service is served. It’s a long time.

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by M.Wilson
There is no way I could personally go for 18 hours without eating. No way. Zero medical issues and I am a very fit person.
I would quite happily bet you $1 million that you will not die or lose consciousness by not eating for 18 hours. I'll double it to $2M if you don't drink either.

As a rule of thumb people can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Obviously there's a fair bit of variation around that but no person without an underlying disease (such as diabetes) is going to have any more of a problem with only water for 18 hours than being a bit hungry.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think we’ve worked out what has happened to this flight now. Discussion has turned circuitous so time to shut it down.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.