Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what happened to the CX829 YYZ-HKG flight this morning?

Does anyone know what happened to the CX829 YYZ-HKG flight this morning?

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer_K
I think CX 829 can be nominated for the worst flight in February.

CX 829 on 1 February 2019:

Scheduled departure: 01:20

Delay notification sent to passengers: 00:01 (that's why we were upset because CX could have sent out notification before passengers were headed to the airport; almost all passengers have arrived at the airport before the notification was sent out and received difference information from ground crew about flight reschedule)

Re-scheduled departure: 10:50 (due to pilot sickness; we were first told that the flight would be rescheduled for 06:00 and then was told that it would be scheduled for 09:00, but in the end, it was scheduled to 10:50)

Check-in open for the delayed flight: 06:00 (we were asked to report to the check-in counter between 05:00 and 06:00 in order to check in for the delayed flight to secure a seat; there was a snow storm in GTA so that means we were stuck in the airport from 23:00 to 10:50)

Actual departure: About an hour's delay (unknown reason)

Scheduled arrival: 15:31 +1

Actual arrival: About 1 hour's delay
1 hour you mean 11?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by ppr992
I had to sip on orange juice just to get some blood sugar and stay conscious.
Since you obviously have some medical condition, it is incumbent on you to take the necessary precautions so that a few hours delay won't cause you to lose consciousness. It is not CX's job to compensate for your medical issues.
tentseller and jagmeets like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by kaka

1 hour you mean 11?
I meant the flight was re-scheduled to 10:50 the next day, but it acually left gate between 11:30 and noon.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer_K
I think CX 829 can be nominated for the worst flight in February.
CX861 IAD-HKG operated by B-LRX on 10 Feb had a 38 hour delay:

10 Feb
0015 EST: Departed IAD
1414 GMT: Arrived KEF (diverted due to medical emergency)
1646 GMT: Departed KEF
1730 EST: Arrived IAD, flight rescheduled for following day

11 Feb
1445 EST: Departed IAD as CX861D

12 Feb
1925 HKT: Arrived HKG (originally scheduled to arrive 11 Feb at 0510 HKT)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
CX861 IAD-HKG operated by B-LRX on 10 Feb had a 38 hour delay:

10 Feb
0015 EST: Departed IAD
1414 GMT: Arrived KEF (diverted due to medical emergency)
1646 GMT: Departed KEF
1730 EST: Arrived IAD, flight rescheduled for following day

11 Feb
1445 EST: Departed IAD as CX861D

12 Feb
1925 HKT: Arrived HKG (originally scheduled to arrive 11 Feb at 0510 HKT)
You won 👍
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Since you obviously have some medical condition, it is incumbent on you to take the necessary precautions so that a few hours delay won't cause you to lose consciousness. It is not CX's job to compensate for your medical issues.
Try eating one airplane meal in 18 hours and see how it is.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:11 pm Reason: Personal comment deleted by mod.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Before taking off at YYZ we get announcement that the flight needs to re-route to Osaka due to labor rules with cabin crew not working more than certain number of hours. We would get a new crew in KIX
These rules are in place not because the crew (flight & cabin) are lazy, but are in place for passenger safety.

The biggest issue is that Throughout entire journey we are left with our standard 2 meals (of course this is not told in advance or made public, otherwise there would be a run on food, I was exhausted at that hour and didnt even think to stash up on food)

From Toronto to Osaka for the first 17-18 hours of the trip we were served 1 meal. All snacks quickly ran out 8-9 hours into the flight. The second meal of breakfast was served after take off from KIX. I had to sip on orange juice just to get some blood sugar and stay conscious.
I'm not familiar with Toronto flights but normally there are only 2 meals served on long haul flights one after take-off and one around 2hrs prior to landing. Since technically it's a tech stop, I assumed the meal was really slated to be served on the second leg.

Again I'm not familiar but normal block time for direct flights between YYZ and HKG is 15hrs and 15 mins so It's no where near the 17-18hrs you have reported. YYZ-KIX should be between 13-14hrs...
tentseller likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:11 pm
Suspended

I regularly go 18 hours without food. No problem for me.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
@christep has a point, I occasionally travel with senior family members with diabetes and normally they pack candies and some crackers for long haul flights in cases they get hungry and food it not available. They do it even why flying in business class just out of precaution.
tentseller likes this.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 pm
Suspended

I regularly go 18 hours without food. No problem for me.
this is why its no problem for you... you body is used to these (non) spikes.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 28, 2019 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Again I'm not familiar but normal block time for direct flights between YYZ and HKG is 15hrs and 15 mins so It's no where near the 17-18hrs you have reported. YYZ-KIX should be between 13-14hrs...
Flight took off YYZ 3 hours + late and another 2 hours on the ground in KIX. You do the math
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
One small meal in 18 hours is going to make most people ill.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:50 am
Suspended

We're getting off topic, but I've known plenty of people who might have dinner at 7pm, just have a coffee for breakfast because they're too busy commuting or whatever and then have lunch at 1pm. That's 18 hours between meals. I don't think it's that unusual. You'll be hungry,sure, but "unconscious"? I still assert that would only be the case if you have a medical condition.
tentseller and HarbourGent like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
We're getting off topic, but I've known plenty of people who might have dinner at 7pm, just have a coffee for breakfast because they're too busy commuting or whatever and then have lunch at 1pm. That's 18 hours between meals. I don't think it's that unusual. You'll be hungry,sure, but "unconscious"? I still assert that would only be the case if you have a medical condition.
Sounds like a normal day for HKers.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended

this would be ok for someone who does it regularly. but not if thats not your normal eating habit. your body would be looking for food when theres nada

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.