Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX at CGK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:06 am
Original Poster

CX at CGK

Can I just confirm that CX still uses the dreadful T2 at CGK? The website seems to say so but as many international airlines have moved to T3, just wish to confirm this is still the case.

Also so does anyone know why and when CX is scheduled to move?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
CX was still at T2 when I last went in late 2018.

I actually think CGK T2 is pretty good. It gets some bad stick (like JFK T7) but it's actually great for travellers who want to minimise the time required between the the roadside and the plane. I've done car-to-gate at CGK T2 in 8 minutes before... just slightly more than my car-to-gate record at JFK T7. You can't do that in huge modern terminals like CGK T3.

On the other hand, for travellers who like to get to the airport early and enjoy the lounge etc, I agree CGK T2 is not the place for that!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
yes cathay is still using terminal 2. actually terminal 2 is quite pleasant. as a local, i prefer terminal 2 over terminal 3. the only two things that make terminal 2 not so pleasant is the lounge and cramped boarding gate waiting area. but for business class passenger, cathay has a separate check-in area where the staff will check you in, a porter will tag your luggage and drop it at the regular check in counter, and whisk you in straight to the lounge while the staff process your passport and other immigration mumbo jumbo. then the staff will return your passport to you while you sit nicely in the lounge
Jane's Addiction and Sohoboy like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I also agree with everyone else's sentiments.

CX still uses T2, and there isn't any news yet about the move (which usually comes just a few weeks before the move is scheduled). I actually love T2, and so much more than T3, especially when you're in J with the separate priority check-in area which feels a lot like what BA did with First Wing, it's absolutely brilliant.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I also agree with everyone else's sentiments.

CX still uses T2, and there isn't any news yet about the move (which usually comes just a few weeks before the move is scheduled). I actually love T2, and so much more than T3, especially when you're in J with the separate priority check-in area which feels a lot like what BA did with First Wing, it's absolutely brilliant.
Do Y status pax get to use the priority check-in area?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Do Y status pax get to use the priority check-in area?
no, unfortunately. They set up special “Business” counters in the regular area, for elites
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:40 am

Just fly back from Jakarta to HK today, CX stayed in T2.

After so many airlines moved out, T2 is now a lot emptier than before and the queue for immigration is so much shorter now. T3 is so much more modern and with lots of restaurants to choose, but it is big and crowded, which you have to spend a lot more time to reach your plane.

Now T2 is so much more efficient, but the terminal is so traditional that makes you feel like back to the 90s, and the lounge is bad.
tulalit likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. Just as I feared. I arrive at CGK T3 and have about 2 hours wait until CX checkin opens at T2 then another 3 hours wait before my flight departs... and the Pura Indah Lounge doesn’t feel like a comfortable place to spend 3 hours. Any ideas how I can make the 5 hours transit be less painful? From the sound of it, the landslide restaurants at T3 are noisy and stressful too.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Thank you all for your feedback. Just as I feared. I arrive at CGK T3 and have about 2 hours wait until CX checkin opens at T2 then another 3 hours wait before my flight departs... and the Pura Indah Lounge doesn’t feel like a comfortable place to spend 3 hours. Any ideas how I can make the 5 hours transit be less painful? From the sound of it, the landslide restaurants at T3 are noisy and stressful too.
Do they have a massage service in the lounge?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:16 pm

CX check in opens 3 hours before departure, you will use the Premier Lounge as opposed to the awful Pura Indah lounge. Massages are available in the lounge for around USD10. Food is rubbish in the lounge, but they have beer after 2 pm.

There’s a starbucks in the terminal which tend to get crowded. Personally, I would just head to the gate as soon as it opens to watch planes go by
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:18 pm

also, the transfer from t3 to t2 can be a hassle and may take around an hour on a bad day. So chances are you won’t have to wait long for check-in, particularly if youre bringing checked bags (the baggage handling is notoriously slow at CGK and particularly so at T3.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:31 am
Original Poster

I won't have checked luggage. On a previous trip, I'd eat at A&W outside T2 just to get some "decent" food instead of stomaching the stodge that they serve at the lounges inside before checking in - the curly fries and root beer float are a throwback to my childhood.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Just to add a bit here as I frequently depart CGK on CX.

CX DM pax in Y are allowed to use the premium check in area but this was only made available sometime last year. I love being able to show up much later than I do for other airports. Car to lounge is always <15mins.

My main gripe with CX at T2 is the silly additional security CX pays for for some reason. It’s hardly a check and I can’t see them finding anything the main security team wouldn’t. Not that either are super thorough but the cursory check at the gate is a bit of a joke.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Just to add a bit here as I frequently depart CGK on CX.

CX DM pax in Y are allowed to use the premium check in area but this was only made available sometime last year.
Hi, I'm flying PEY in March, do you know if OWE are afforded premium check in?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Hi, I'm flying PEY in March, do you know if OWE are afforded premium check in?
I'm not sure but you can ask the attendants near the check-in desks. They informed me that CXDM's are allowed. In theory, the benefit of expedited immigration should apply to OWE's
Telecasterman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.