Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Middle Name on the Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
No Middle Name on the Ticket

For my Asia miles redemption ticket on Cathay Dragon, I have not used my middle name or my wife's middle name, but our passport has our middle names.

I made two separate one way bookings. The first one was from HKG to KUL. I was not able to check in and the Website said that the airport staff needed to see my travel documents. No issues at the airport and I was able to get on the flight. On my return flight When I was checking in, the Website said that the names differ and I should call up Cathay to fix it. So I did. The CSR walked me through a laundry list of things I needed to do to fix this. Or, gave me the option of not fixing it and taking a chance at the airport.

We have been flying for 25+ years and don't really use our middle names, either US domestic flights or international. First time we have been flagged for something like this. If it was a domestic US flight, I would not have worried one bit but I am dealing with a foreign carrier in a foreign country. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
I never us my middle name either. In most asian countries, I notice that middle name is used frequently. I haven't been stopped at the airport but have been refused on line check-ins before because the names didn't match. So, now, if I remember, I put my middle name while booking the ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:28 pm

I've never been refused check in because I didn't add my middle name
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
It always confuses me when people with a middle name or middles names do not enter their full names when booking their ticket. I mean it clearly says on pretty much all booking websites that you should enter your full name “as shown on your passport” (Or other form of acceptable ID). You will have to show that exact ID at check-in, so why on Earth would you not enter the same name when booking the ticket??

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
For my Asia miles redemption ticket on Cathay Dragon, I have not used my middle name or my wife's middle name, but our passport has our middle names.

I made two separate one way bookings. The first one was from HKG to KUL. I was not able to check in and the Website said that the airport staff needed to see my travel documents. No issues at the airport and I was able to get on the flight. On my return flight When I was checking in, the Website said that the names differ and I should call up Cathay to fix it. So I did. The CSR walked me through a laundry list of things I needed to do to fix this. Or, gave me the option of not fixing it and taking a chance at the airport.

We have been flying for 25+ years and don't really use our middle names, either US domestic flights or international. First time we have been flagged for something like this. If it was a domestic US flight, I would not have worried one bit but I am dealing with a foreign carrier in a foreign country. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
The trick I use is to always fill the passport information on CX website with the exact same name I used on the booking.
Then I never get flagged and get my BP at OLCI.
Might not work if flying to USA or Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.