Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge

Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kaka
as long as one has an intention to fly and has a long(%) transit immd is not gonna take you to court for going for a shower and some food after getting off a flight that arrives at 5am (or whenever your flight is).

However, dont expect you can be taken care of quickly if you need to get out before 10am during the morning bank of flights.

No comments for other reasons for using the lounge and back out - do at your own risks.

(%)- assuming you spend min 2 hours in lounge (spare more time for getting out in the morning) after arrivals to shower, eat, and wait for staff to walk you out + returning 1 hours before flight + 1.5 hours for the 2-way airport express trip, youre looking at killing 6 hours before you can do anything in town. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge

Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
There are many places to eat food and take showers in Hong Kong, including HKIA, but if you want to avail of departures, you should stay put there until your departing flight. Attempting to hang there upon arrival, and then leave, is simultaneously selfish and cheap.
disagree.
if cx do not provide transit facilities, passengers with connecting flights can legally go to respective lounges if they are qualified and get in the city like what the lounge attendents have recommended obver the years.

i cannot believe such useless hostility is generated in this forum.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaka

disagree.
if cx do not provide transit facilities, passengers with connecting flights can legally go to respective lounges if they are qualified and get in the city like what the lounge attendents have recommended obver the years.

i cannot believe such useless hostility is generated in this forum.
The departures area is designed for "departures" (i.e. there is NO standard process for letting people out). Attempting to exit from there throws a wrench into the system, and wastes peoples' time. Emergencies are obviously an exception, but if you actually want to enter Hong Kong, the process is pretty straightforward.
Sozee and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

The departures area is designed for "departures" (i.e. there is NO standard process for letting people out). Attempting to exit from there throws a wrench into the system, and wastes peoples' time. Emergencies are obviously an exception, but if you actually want to enter Hong Kong, the process is pretty straightforward.
and you have proof that shows it wastes people time? cx staff recommends so it must be legal practice.

if its not illegal then its fine. this is hong kong and you dont prove one is not guilty.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:01 am

and you have proof that shows it wastes people time? cx staff recommends so it must be legal practice.

if its not illegal then its fine. this is hong kong and you dont prove one is not guilty.
Please show us where CX "advises" this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:19 am

Please show us where CX "advises" this.
I'm not the person you're asking but today the ISM recommended on inbound that I refreshen in the F lounge and head out to hong kong island for lunch (transiting today). That's my anecdotal and recent experience where CX staff have encouraged
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I'm not the person you're asking but today the ISM recommended on inbound that I refreshen in the F lounge and head out to hong kong island for lunch (transiting today). That's my anecdotal and recent experience where CX staff have encouraged
I would like to see an official clarification of this before I follow up with my contacts at HK immigration.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

im glad to hear that there is a sensible solution to an issue
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:27 am

im glad to hear that there is a sensible solution to an issue
Please show me official proof of this policy, and I will get confirmation from immigration.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Please show me official proof of this policy, and I will get confirmation from immigration.
Dude, let's stop this bickering. I don't think it matters if you think it is right or wrong to exit the sterile area after using the lounge. If it can be done, people will do it (for valid reasons or not - in your opinion). That's how the world is! Don't hate the player, hate the game.
kaka and Nazdoom like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:30 pm
Suspended

how many times do you want to hear from different people saying of their recommendation of different cx staff? it is clearly not my one-off fantasy experience. its as official as mpo status members getting op-uped. its not policy yet it does not infringe with any law.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't believe everything an FA tells you
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:33 am

how many times do you want to hear from different people saying of their recommendation of different cx staff? it is clearly not my one-off fantasy experience. its as official as mpo status members getting op-uped. its not policy yet it does not infringe with any law.
Look, there's nothing "official" at all about this practice, and you know it!

Key points:
1. You waste 1.5 hours of your time in order to leave
2. #1 entails overutilizing both CX and HKIA resources
3. There are many other places to eat and shower

In short, anyone who deliberately attempts to abuse the system IS being cheap and obnoxious, because there are other options available that don't make waves.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
if its not illegal then its fine.
Actually it is illegal per the Airport Bylaw.

Also - don't forget the lawsuit related to 1 male that nicely threatened a CX GA regarding his daughter forgotten belongings.

Just because a CX ISM said so, I would not believe it is true, especially given that the ISM has no say about ground ops.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Also - don't forget the lawsuit related to 1 male that nicely threatened a CX GA regarding his daughter forgotten belongings.
how was that related to someone who went to the lounge then go to arrivals?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
As long as CX dont have a (solid) arrivals lounge there will always be passengers using this on a odd arrival flights. Whats the point of such harsh words?
kaka and Nazdoom like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.