Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

LAX remote gate boarding a bit chaotic

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum

The last few weeks CX 883 from LAX TO HKG has been boarding from a remote gate. This is the third time I experience this in my last 3 flights over 4 months. The staff told me it has been this way for weeks. They basically bus passengers and crews from gate 136 or nearby. From the moment you get to the check in counter they have a memo taped on each counter that says they are apologizing that because of limited buses they will not be providing a separate bus for premium classes.

They ask you to be at the gate by 9:15. (10:20 scheduled departure) there you line up by classes. The captain was there for the crew bus, but they had to wait until all the crew arrived, delaying the passenger boarding. Finally the 1st crowded bus left. About 7-10 minute ride. Then a second line at the remote terminal with passengers lined up on the ramp, as more buses arrived the line grew and grew. It was not until 20 minutes later that we start to board. With a few extra minutes wait at the bridge. More complications with children and wheelchairs

While walking to the gate I noticed many unused gates. I wonder why CX does not get one. Probably costs them more money one way or the other. It appears the aircraft arrives as CX884 a few hours earlier and is parked remotely, perhaps it is the cost to tow it back to a gate.

Onboard now in F. Crew is charming as always. But the boarding is no befitting this airline. I fly out of Bradley on other airlines, and BA, LATAM, and others somehow get a gate.
cartman7110 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
unfortunately this isn't that uncommon.

i've done remote gate boarding a few times ex-LAX, can't remember if it was CX881 or CX883. But same experience as you.

One small point . It's normally CX882 that arrives and parks remotely, not CX884 or CX880. CX882 arrives early/mid afternoon and sits out on the tarmac for about 12 hours. It sucks if you arrive on that fight because you also deplane using the remote stands.
jerrywu and cartman7110 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
AA can go away with bussing widebody jets at LAX, why can’t CX?
Old May 24, 2019, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just experienced this on CX 883 last night. It really sucked. The remote stand (actually a remote mini-terminal, with enclosed jetway) was all the way at the far west end of 24L, so quite a long drive. Then a very long wait to actually board. Then the aircraft has to taxi back the full length of the runway for take-off.

CX was pretty apologetic and blamed airport construction. I assume they're being forced to do it by LAX. SQ was also using a remote stand, I'm sure they're not happy about it either.
cartman7110 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

It looks to be routine now for CX 883. On the other hand CX881 seems to get a gate, I have taken 2 CX883 the last two months with the same situation.
I see some gates available nearby so I always wonder if cost is a factor
cartman7110 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

The Private Suite might be a good option when using a remote gate -- works for both departures and arrivals

https://theprivatesuite.com/the-experience/
Kacee likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Considering what they charge for F they should consider this service for the F passengers
prw555 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:01 pm

Plus the fact of flying EY 3-4-3 on 77W......I am seeking an alternative to get to LAX.

(Audio)
Old May 26, 2019, 6:03 am

Took CX 883 last night (May 24 departure) and had a gate (155 I think). When I took CX 881 last November, it was a remote gate. And prior to Nov, my experience with 883 over the last 2 years has been 75% getting a gate.

I asked the check-in agent and was told that they pair 883 with 882, which arrives in the early afternoon hours. So I suppose it's pretty much subject to LAX traffic control in the evening, whether there's a gate to accommodate 883. On the other hand, if 881 is paired with 880, then I suppose it has a pretty high chance of getting a gate, since it usually arrives between 10~11 PM, which is quite suitable for the 881 current departure time of 12:40 AM.

My experience with CX 882 (HKG-LAX) has always been remote gate + bus to terminal...then getting stuck in LA rush hour traffic by the time I leave the airport.. I much prefer taking CX 880 vs 882/884.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: CX / BR / Marriott / Hilton
Originally Posted by domirule
Took CX 883 last night (May 24 departure) and had a gate (155 I think). When I took CX 881 last November, it was a remote gate. And prior to Nov, my experience with 883 over the last 2 years has been 75% getting a gate.

I asked the check-in agent and was told that they pair 883 with 882, which arrives in the early afternoon hours. So I suppose it's pretty much subject to LAX traffic control in the evening, whether there's a gate to accommodate 883. On the other hand, if 881 is paired with 880, then I suppose it has a pretty high chance of getting a gate, since it usually arrives between 10~11 PM, which is quite suitable for the 881 current departure time of 12:40 AM.

My experience with CX 882 (HKG-LAX) has always been remote gate + bus to terminal...then getting stuck in LA rush hour traffic by the time I leave the airport.. I much prefer taking CX 880 vs 882/884.
I often board CX883 remotely and CX881 from a gate. And I just took CX883 on May 23 and it was a remote gate (144), the boarding arrangement was a mess. Our connecting flight from MCO was delayed and we barely got 20min in the lounge. If it get a proper gate we would have more time to refresh. My boss told me to avoid CX883 and go for CX881 in the future.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kate Frost
the boarding arrangement was a mess
I was on that flight and it sure was.

It appears LAX provides the buses, and CX is thus at their mercy. They didn't actually start boarding until close to 11 (for 11:30 departure). Entire crew was milling around in front of the gate for about half an hour. I waited in the upstairs area which was slightly less awful than the area right around gate 144.

Once we got to remote stand, the line to board the aircraft (single door) took about 10 more minutes.
cartman7110 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
i was on cx883 that departed on 05/22 and was at gate 134. it the past few years it’s been random for me for both arrival and departure. it does suck to be at a remote gate
Old May 27, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: CX / BR / Marriott / Hilton
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was on that flight and it sure was.

It appears LAX provides the buses, and CX is thus at their mercy. They didn't actually start boarding until close to 11 (for 11:30 departure). Entire crew was milling around in front of the gate for about half an hour. I waited in the upstairs area which was slightly less awful than the area right around gate 144.

Once we got to remote stand, the line to board the aircraft (single door) took about 10 more minutes.
We got priority boarding so we got on the bus first, but at the end the bus left with a number of green/ PEY flyer and they got off the bus first. So they were actually queuing in front of us on the ramp. Priority boarding made us worse off at the end.

What made me even frustrated is, my exit row aisle seat is "taken" by a Chinese passenger when I went to the lav right after take-off. And he throw all my personal belongings to the next middle seat (which is empty)! Crew were reluctantly to help at all.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:21 pm

We got priority boarding so we got on the bus first, but at the end the bus left with a number of green/ PEY flyer and they got off the bus first. So they were actually queuing in front of us on the ramp. Priority boarding made us worse off at the end.
I could have boarded early, but was in no hurry, especially since the entire aircraft boards through the J cabin. The advantage you did get boarding early was I suspect your line-up on the jetbridge was quite a bit shorter.

What made me even frustrated is, my exit row aisle seat is "taken" by a Chinese passenger when I went to the lav right after take-off. And he throw all my personal belongings to the next middle seat (which is empty)! Crew were reluctantly to help at all.
That's appalling.
prw555 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

kindly remind the crew it would be of in flight safety if the flight has any mishaps and you would report such incidents.

ive had that by chinese passengers too. they are horrible.
Carfield likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.