Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

LAX remote gate boarding a bit chaotic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX remote gate boarding a bit chaotic

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by traveler18
Considering what they charge for F they should consider this service for the F passengers
I believe KE and a couple other airlines use it for F pax. I was there twice and they told me they had deals with a couple airlines.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Similar experience on QR recently. And there were two other flights boarding around the same time, so the lower level area was a mess.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:41 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
I took CX883 (the earlier of the two night flights) last December and just this May 17th and you definitely need to head to the bus for the remote gate.

And yes the line/order to the bus is chaos.

I understand that LAX is full at night and under expansion work but i would agree there are available gates. I suspect since the plane for CX883 arrives early afternoon (CX882 as QRC3288 pointed out) and TBIT is busy thus it gets stuck in the remote gate. CX881 (with CX880 arriving to be the return plane) is what i plan to take from now on since the bus while fun to be at the tarmac is too much of a hassle.

Definitely CX884 (and most likely the quick return noon HK flight CX885) are not on the remote gate as i took that just this week.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by cartman7110
Definitely CX884 (and most likely the quick return noon HK flight CX885) are not on the remote gate as i took that just this week.
Pretty sure I saw CX884/885 using remote gates last week (along with BR). I arrived at a remote gate on SK and it was the furthest possible gate too (almost all the way to Pershing Drive).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not aware of any other US airport regularly using remote stands. LAX handles it about as poorly as it can be handled.
prw555 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kate Frost

What made me even frustrated is, my exit row aisle seat is "taken" by a Chinese passenger when I went to the lav right after take-off. And he throw all my personal belongings to the next middle seat (which is empty)! Crew were reluctantly to help at all.
I had that once not on CX and he wasnt Chinese, when he refused to move and the FA couldnt be bothered, I simply sat down on him, that did the trick. Dont know who I was more mad at the guy or the FAs who wouldnt do anything.

I also hate when I board to find someone else already in my seat (yes even 1st and Biz) and say I hope you dont mind switching I want to sit next to ____ . I say no problem maybe the person next to where your seat is will be willing to switch Im NOT, could be I would have had you not planted yourself in my seat, and instead asked me before claiming my seat as yours
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I had that once not on CX and he wasnt Chinese, when he refused to move and the FA couldnt be bothered, I simply sat down on him, that did the trick. Dont know who I was more mad at the guy or the FAs who wouldnt do anything.

I also hate when I board to find someone else already in my seat (yes even 1st and Biz) and say I hope you dont mind switching I want to sit next to ____ . I say no problem maybe the person next to where your seat is will be willing to switch Im NOT, could be I would have had you not planted yourself in my seat, and instead asked me before claiming my seat as yours
I hate seat switching, too. Once on a KA A330 flight, I found my seat 22A (my favorite seat on this aircraft) was occupied by a women. She asked me if I can switch seat with her. I simply refused, saying that I paid for this seat (In reality, I get free advanced seat assignments due to my MPC status.) She was very surprised that I actually paid for a seat, and then immediately moved out of my seat.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:49 pm

From a former employee at LAX:

LAWA (LAX's airport authority) controls gate assignments and bus service. Priority is given to turnaround flights and size of the aircraft. In the case of CX882/CX883 the aircraft parks in LAX throughout the day and is rarely sent to the terminal. Asiana use to send a 777 for the second LAX flight and it would park at the remote. Once they upgraded to the A380 it never parks at the remote.

LAWA assigns a bus for the crew and then a fixed number of buses depending on the expected passenger load. There is no special bus for elites.

The remote gates will go away once the midfield concourse is complete.
cartman7110, Kacee and MilesLove like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
See here for LAWA's TBIT gate assignment/occupancy policies. I believe they try to have all A380s park at the terminal for arrivals and departures.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Silver
I assume since TBITs Midfield concourse is now complete, CX882 PAX dont have to endure the awful bus gates? Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:05 pm

Remote gates still exist but they are used less frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.