Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

compensation for 5 hr delay and diversion

Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo

CX748 from JNB to HKG on 12 Jan 2019.

Late departure, followed by diversion to SiN for refuelling.

After refuelling and change of crew, finally landed in HK over 5 hours late.

No proper meal offered on the SIN-HKG segment.

CX has offered US$150 in service voucher.

What is the appropriate compensation?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Tomcat88
CX748 from JNB to HKG on 12 Jan 2019.

Late departure, followed by diversion to SiN for refuelling.

After refuelling and change of crew, finally landed in HK over 5 hours late.

No proper meal offered on the SIN-HKG segment.

CX has offered US$150 in service voucher.

What is the appropriate compensation?

Thanks
Any reason for the late departure and refueling stop in SIN? Did you deplane in SIN?

US$150 is someone on the middle to high for CX compensation....its a lot better than giving you miles.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
US$150 seems like a very reasonable offer to me.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yes $150 is pretty good for a 5 hour delay. There are regional flights of 3 hours that get delayed 8+ hours and they don't get any compensation.
tentseller likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo
Thanks for the replies sxc, christep and FlyPointyEnd.

Reason given for delay only after we boarded. Weather too hot, not enough fuel to fly all the way back to HK. So need to refuel in Singapore.

No we were not allowed to deplane in Singapore. Sat on the plane from 12:30pm SA time to arriving in HK at 12:20pm. Close to 18hours! I should consider taking the direct flight from Perth to London...

Boarding announced before 12:00pm. Got to the gate and not allowed to board until 12:30pm which was the original departure time. Then when boarded and announcement made, one pax said he wanted to get off. So we had to wait another hour for him to get off and get his luggage. Then there was a problem with the luggage, and had to be counted again before taking off...

Arrived in SIN, refuel and crew change... I think we were there for 2 hours?

Frankly, maybe points/miles better than service voucher which you can only use against buying tix directly from CX...?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Well if you’re going to fly on CX again USD 150 is better than miles as at least it’s a guaranteed discount. Miles have a different value depending on how they can be used.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
$150 is especially generous, considering this isn't CX's fault! Bad things happen from time to time. JNB sits at altitude. Nothing can be done if the weather is too hot + altitude.

As others indicated, long regional delays can happen. I had an 8+ hour PVG delay in 2017, combined with multiple delays north of 2 hours. Zero compensation for any. (Nor did I ask).

I'm pretty sure CX had a flight from IAD to HKG a few days ago that was diverted to Iceland....and landed in HKG 36 hours late! They did IAD-KEF-IAD-HKG. Now that's a delay.
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
thats like a 5 hour delay due to snow.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CX's mistake is offering anything by way of a customer service gesture as it only whets peoples' appetite for more.

Fuel diversions are a fact of life on a planet where weather conditions are variable. Crew changes are part of that as there are safety rules which set the maximum number of hours they may work.

The alternativ here is an aircraft going into the ocean for lack of fuel or a tired crew member making a fatal error.

Better to send a note to CX thanking it for putting your safety ahead of its profits (as it is close to a certainty that a fuel diversion and a five hour delay turned this flight into a loss-making enterprise).
kaka, thekfc, bhyq and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
CX's mistake is offering anything by way of a customer service gesture as it only whets peoples' appetite for more.

Fuel diversions are a fact of life on a planet where weather conditions are variable. Crew changes are part of that as there are safety rules which set the maximum number of hours they may work.

The alternativ here is an aircraft going into the ocean for lack of fuel or a tired crew member making a fatal error.

Better to send a note to CX thanking it for putting your safety ahead of its profits (as it is close to a certainty that a fuel diversion and a five hour delay turned this flight into a loss-making enterprise).
I absolutely agree with you, and how cx does not follow its contractual obligations baffles me
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I cannot imagine the mindset that imagines a necessary tech stop due to weather conditions ought to result in customer compensation. Literally nothing CX could do about this. And the complaint that there was no food SIN-HKG is especially odd. Did they withhold a planned meal, or did OP expect something extra that was obviously not loaded?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sorry, inadvertent dupe post.

Last edited by BearX220; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:05 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: pleb

Reason given for delay only after we boarded. Weather too hot, not enough fuel to fly all the way back to HK. So need to refuel in Singapore.

No we were not allowed to deplane in Singapore. Sat on the plane from 12:30pm SA time to arriving in HK at 12:20pm. Close to 18hours! I should consider taking the direct flight from Perth to London...

Boarding announced before 12:00pm. Got to the gate and not allowed to board until 12:30pm which was the original departure time. Then when boarded and announcement made, one pax said he wanted to get off. So we had to wait another hour for him to get off and get his luggage. Then there was a problem with the luggage, and had to be counted again before taking off...

Frankly, maybe points/miles better than service voucher which you can only use against buying tix directly from CX...?
Someone sounds slightly entitled
roberto99 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

you could give the coupon to any one of us and claim some money from your insurance company
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I don't see why you are due any compensation at all. Would you rather the plane ran out of fuel?
roberto99 and kaka like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.