FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   This is the busiest time of the year and we had opened every counter. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1956040-busiest-time-year-we-had-opened-every-counter.html)

Audio Feb 12, 2019 11:27 pm

This is the busiest time of the year and we had opened every counter.

I was departing HKG on 2nd Feb when I joined a J-Class check-in cluster of 3 counters at about 7.45am. I was sixth in line and I was still queuing after 20 mins. One counter closed when one check-in staff decided to go for a restroom break. Passengers behind me were feeling frustrated and impatient.

A couple behind questioned the check-in staff in-charge (black uniform) about other check-in counters that sit idle but all she replied was "This is the busiest time of the year and we had opened every counter."

As more and more passengers complained, she allowed those complaining to move to the First Class check-in and did not extend it to those who are standing in front of these complaining passengers. These pictures were taken after I have check-in. No, I didn't complain but I do not appreciate the check-in staff in-charge yielding to pressure and disregarding the queue.

http://audio.sg/pic/firstclasscheckin-01.jpg
Yes, First Class has their own exclusive check-in area with more than 20 terminals and they decided to assign 10 more counters for First Class. This also means there are 10 less counters for J-Class passengers.

http://audio.sg/pic/firstclasscheckin-04.jpg
Picture of the queue at that end of row A.

http://audio.sg/pic/firstclasscheckin-02.jpg
You can see just how busy these additional 10 counters were. No one offered to clear the queue during the time I was there until the passengers complained. They were just slipping their drinks and staring at the crowd.

http://audio.sg/pic/firstclasscheckin-03.jpg
This is the scene directly opposite to the "very busy" 10 First Class counters, these are the other 2 J-Class check-in clusters. Very crowded.

What a total waste of resources during the busiest time of the year.

(Audio)

kaka Feb 12, 2019 11:57 pm

whats the rationale for not complaining (i give leeway to those whose life/health may be compromised due to complaints, like if those people will need to handle ur food, say)

DiamondMile Feb 13, 2019 12:18 am

It’s not good, but why didn’t you ask if you could also go over to the first class check-in? They couldn’t really have denied you after letting others over there.

ermen Feb 13, 2019 12:20 am

i am happy i get to use the F queues as a OWE. and normally these are very well staffed at the airport express and the airport

Though i have sympathy with the OP's grip about the J check in. These are normally overflowing at the airport express and the airport. I have heard of 40+ minute queues which actually defeats the purpose of a priority queue (for J pax / MPC GO pax)

How many of those in the J queues are GR? I reckon they really need to cull GR from the line.

Maybe at HKG it is OK (ie they should have deployed some from F to J counters). But at out ports, it could become a bit of a scramble where all MPC can use the J counter

Audio Feb 13, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30772216)
whats the rationale for not complaining (i give leeway to those whose life/health may be compromised due to complaints, like if those people will need to handle ur food, say)

I did not complain because I am a patient man and I was already 6th in line when joined the queue. All I am saying is that they could better utilize their resources. The purpose of this post is just feedback.

Instead of assigning another 10 check-in for First Class...perhaps they can go with 3, have the 7 to cope with the J-Class passengers.

Do dynamic assignments. When the First Class counters got busier, then it is not late to reassign more First Class counters.

They opened every counter but they allowed 10 check-in counters to stay idle during the busiest time of the year. How could they expect their customers to accept their explanation?

(Audio)

percysmith Feb 13, 2019 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 30772131)
A couple behind questioned the check-in staff in-charge (black uniform) about other check-in counters that sit idle but all she replied was "This is the busiest time of the year and we had opened every counter."

What a total waste of resources during the busiest time of the year.

This is like post-22/6 redemption availability...maybe you need to be 42 mins from departure before you'll be allowed to use F counter.

Audio Feb 13, 2019 2:28 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30772481)
This is like post-22/6 redemption availability...maybe you need to be 42 mins from departure before you'll be allowed to use F counter.

Nobody seeks to use the F counters. The question is why is there a need to assign so many F counters and let these check in staff sit idle during the busiest time of the year?

(Audio)

percysmith Feb 13, 2019 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 30772531)
Nobody seeks to use the F counters. The question is why is there a need to assign so many F counters and let these check in staff sit idle during the busiest time of the year?

(Audio)

No-one's seeking F Choice either. They just want a lie flat seat

kaka Feb 13, 2019 3:19 am

(Audio)

whilst you see a problem and a solution and that others have taken things to their hands w authorization to execute, why are you suggesting here as a patient man? theres no problem as management can see it.

kaka Feb 13, 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30772481)

nah if u bring it up as a problem u can use it 142 mins out

sxc Feb 13, 2019 3:35 am

(Audio)

Normally at other check in counters/airports the F or J desk will wave the lower classes to check in. However the layout at HKG makes it harder. The CX staff monitoring the queue should have seen the empty counters and waved the J pax to those counters.

Audio Feb 13, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30772581)
No-one's seeking F Choice either. They just want a lie flat seat

Sorry, you have totally misread everything. All we want is to keep those idle counters busy during the busiest time of the year and have those J-Class passengers checked in ASAP.

I already am entitled to a flat bed seat that morning, why would I want more??

(Audio)

Audio Feb 13, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30772624)

whilst you see a problem and a solution and that others have taken things to their hands w authorization to execute, why are you suggesting here as a patient man? theres no problem as management can see it.

It is perfectly fine if the management refuse to see this as a problem. As a responsible passenger, I just provide them good feedback.
I will just avoid flying CX Business Class during the busiest time of year.....just as I am avoiding flying EY on any CX 10-Abreast B777 right now. No problem. :)

(Audio)

Audio Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30772666)

Normally at other check in counters/airports the F or J desk will wave the lower classes to check in. However the layout at HKG makes it harder. The CX staff monitoring the queue should have seen the empty counters and waved the J pax to those counters.

Yes, first sensible reply so far. Thanks!

(Audio)

G-CIVC Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am

Flying out of HKG tonight. The counters behind FCL zone are designated for JCL as I can see

Not that it matters when there are less than 5 pax in total for both sides of Aisle B when I passed through at around 9pm...