2 hours connection on separate ticket ?

Old Feb 12, 19, 9:28 am
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster

2 hours connection on separate ticket ?

Hello

I have 130 mns to connect coming from USM on Bangkok airways and flying to LHR on CX ON SEPARATE tickets with bags
Per www.hkairportconcierge.com experience this is fine
www.hkairportconcierge.com will not cut the line for immigration so I have to do the regular immigration and still pick up my bags and recheck them
www.hkairportconcierge.com MAY help to cut the line for security (but this is not a big time saver)

What do you all think ?
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: MPC-Gold, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
Hello

I have 130 mns to connect coming from USM on Bangkok airways and flying to LHR on CX ON SEPARATE tickets with bags
Per www.hkairportconcierge.com experience this is fine
www.hkairportconcierge.com will not cut the line for immigration so I have to do the regular immigration and still pick up my bags and recheck them
www.hkairportconcierge.com MAY help to cut the line for security (but this is not a big time saver)

What do you all think ?
I stopped using Bangkok Airways due to their habit to schedule many flights between city pairs and subsequently cancel a lot of the departures, and more especially after they changed their luggage policy to NO LONGER check through luggage on separate tickets/PNR's. (I solved the first issue by having 2 "spare" departures between the flight I took and the flight I should have been able to take).

So, to your questions:
- 130 minutes enough on separate tickets: You have a significant chance of canceled flights, so you will need a lot of time to account for that.
- You have to go through immigration, check-in, etc, so the 130 min is even for HKG not that much. Doable, but nothing should go wrong.

And, when you have a Bangkok Airways leg in the same ticket as your LH, you pay a significant amount for that .......
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1) do u hv echannel access
1a) if no, is this the inbound leg of your trip, will you have a transit in hkg for your outbound - if you also have some ffp status, register for echannel access.
1b) re immigrations in general you will be fine. my biggest worry is luggage having constipation along the delivery system. I’ve waited for 45-60 mins a few times in the last 2-3 years, and this is with j/f tags on cx. assume your usm flight isnt delayed, you’d still have some buffer between immigration and checkin deadline (exc picking up luggage).

2) assume you’ll have a 10 minute delay and a 60 minute luggage wait, you still have 10 minutes to clear customs (they dont usually stop pax of yellow of white colour, thats just the way it is). all its involved is to go out to arrivals hall, go up, and get to the checkin area.
if you use self checkin or have status, 10 minutes is plenty (also, the 50 minutes deadline is not the real cutoff for cx. the hard limit is 40 minutes... but i do not know if they use this as a buffer for queuing or whatnot)

that said, i think in most case you will be accomodated if u miss your flight and isnt particularly off an S
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:21 am

ah
if your q is the concierge service, i think its a waste of time. hkia is rather well thought out.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies.
May be better to schedule a 8 hours layover and go to the city for dinner.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
Thank you both for your replies.
May be better to schedule a 8 hours layover and go to the city for dinner.
probably much safer!
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I would not book the 2 hour connection, PG is too unreliable.

USM-SIN-LHR on MI/SQ is an alternative (and more efficient) routing.
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I would not book the 2 hour connection, PG is too unreliable.

USM-SIN-LHR on MI/SQ is an alternative (and more efficient) routing.
Yes I was even thinking of making USM-SIN-HKG-LHR but the time didn't match

- Tomorrow 02/14 out of CDG to HKG F4 : no award
- 02/15 F3 : Award available
To make it more difficult to inderstand load seems to be similar in all cabins). Try to understand something