Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Bookable upgrade and AM upgrade eligible classes extended to include L and V

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

As per latest MPC newsletter. Not sure if the L/V upgradeable eligibility using AM is only limited to GO/DM tho.

BUG/BUD requests can be made up to 3 days before departure now rather than 15.

Well, all I care is they stop being stingy at releasing A class space...

And wait...who would really use BUG/BUDs to upgrade to PEY? LOL
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
The 3 day change is intetesting in light of the Vietnam mistake J and F sale. My bet is they're realizing a lot of tickets are cancelling or no showing and it's a mess for revenue mgmt.

As for upgrading Y to PEY, could not agree more. Who would use it for that! Not to mention with the changes CX made thrmselves to Asia Miles / MPC , it is highly unlikely people are earning Diamond or even Gold on Y fares alone. CXs Golds and especially Diamonds fly overwhelmingly in premium cabins. Especially true for Golds and Diamonds who have earned the certificates., which requires more spending than the base requirement. Hell CX engineered it this way!
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I thought some of the best value GO upgrade certificates are to be used Y->J on flights without PEY.
Allowing V upgrade is a big enhancement
hessbo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
​​​​​​​It wasn’t included in my newsletter so maybe only got golds and diamonds.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Upgradable V ticket sounds a lot more reasonable as it is not that cheap already. Plus why not give it out when there are empty seats on board, and make the AM more attractive. I bet no one would find the existing Y -> PEY upgrade with AM attractive enough.

PS no such offer from MPC too.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I thought some of the best value GO upgrade certificates are to be used Y->J on flights without PEY.
Allowing V upgrade is a big enhancement
Originally Posted by SLGO
Upgradable V ticket sounds a lot more reasonable as it is not that cheap already. Plus why not give it out when there are empty seats on board, and make the AM more attractive. I bet no one would find the existing Y -> PEY upgrade with AM attractive enough.

PS no such offer from MPC too.
I totally agree with both of you guys regarding value.

I'm just saying, in reality most 1000 CP GOs and 1600 CP DMs are flying in premium cabins a lot of the time. And higher cabin upgrades are better value upgrades than lower cabin ones. Ergo, most people PROBABLY use their upgrade certs higher than economy.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: CX DM
Great to finally get mobile BPs on BUG/BUD flights (for posterity).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Regardless of whether most diamonds and golds travel premium class or not, i think it’s still a good offering... thumbs up to CX for this move..
fairhsa likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Not sure if the L/V upgradeable eligibility using AM is only limited to GO/DM tho.
Unfortunately, it looks like so, as no change is made at https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...de-awards.html. Like sxc, I did not receive any announcement but was able to find this information by looking at the "Club news" page. Since the news at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-Upgrade.html starts with "For Gold and Diamond members,...," I guess we SLs are left out.

Sad but this gives me another incentive to try to get my GO back. The current upgrade award for M-->T and R-->U or even M-->U on short-hauls are not very valuable, but I think V-->T or V-->U might make sense. Sure, it's not the best use of miles, but at least I wouldn't feel bad using it, especially because a lot of times I'm buying V class tickets anyway. Interestingly, E-->U is purposely left out I suppose.

I do wonder if GOs and DMs would be able to use their miles to redeem V-->T or V-->U for redemption group nominees or only for themselves.

I think some of us here (including myself) have found that, after seat guarantee is practically gone (and now The Arrival is also gone), there is little difference between SL and GO benefits for those who travel alone and mostly on CX / KA. Even though I am an SL now and am not sure if I can hit GO again, I appreciate this enhancement (without quotation marks) as it differentiates SL and GO a bit more.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
It wasn’t included in my newsletter so maybe only got golds and diamonds.
No, that cannot be it, since my newsletter also made no mention of it. Helpfully, it only contained one article (Which i did not read), the topic of which was that CX or MCP were always welcoming comments or suggestions as to how they can do better.

Reagrding the bookable upgrades, am I missing something? I had thought that once you were DM, you were no longer eligible for the GO mid-tier benefits. What happens though if you do not make DM in the next membership year, but have still met the CP threshold for the BUG? I.e. let’s imagine I was DM, then earned 1,005CP for the year; so I would fail to requalify for DM, and on top of that I would not be given the BUG for overachieving on the GO status either?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Is this change only apply to the bookable upgrades, not AM upgrades?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by Microtat
Regardless of whether most diamonds and golds travel premium class or not, i think it’s still a good offering... thumbs up to CX for this move..
I agree. This is good news indeed. Many DMs (self included) travel in different cabins throughout the year and having this flexibility and in particular being able to use AM to upgrade to PEY from those fare classes is a nice touch for those sectors where one finds oneself in Y but PEY would make a material difference.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
This will almost certainly make the difference between using my bookable upgrades and not using them. So yes, finally a useful move. I agree its not optimal value, but some value is better than letting them expire because I cannot use them on my one trip I really wanted to (J to A to Vancouver).
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Upgrades from V class tickets might mean this former CX GO might consider serious flying on CX again. Though likely to only ever reach SL as QF (OW Sapphire) is fairly easy to obtain.

In any event, the overnight HKG-PER (CX133) seems very scarce (and more expensive) when looking at ways to get back to PER...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific

More eligible fare classes and shorter request time for Bookable Upgrade

For Gold and Diamond members, your mid-tier benefit of four single-sector Bookable Upgrades are even more flexible and easier to use with enhancements made to applicable fare classes and booking time.

From 14 February 2019 onwards, with eligible fare classes for a Bookable Upgrade now extended to Economy Class L and V, you can use your mid-tier benefit for 13 fare classes, ranging from Economy to Premium Economy to Business Class. (Alternatively, if not using a Bookable Upgrade, you can use your Asia Miles to redeem an Upgrade Award for these newly eligible fare classes L and V as well.)

What’s more, requests to use a Bookable Upgrade can be made online only three days before flight departure, rather than the minimum of 15 days required previously.

With these changes and online check-in recently introduced for flights upgraded using a Bookable Upgrade, you or your travel companion, or Redemption Group member (for Diamond members only), can enjoy the pleasure of convenience as well as an upgraded cabin class.

Click here to learn more about Bookable Upgrade, or view your mid-tier benefit summary here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.