Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific set to close Toronto cabin crew base, with up to 120 jobs at risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific set to close Toronto cabin crew base, with up to 120 jobs at risk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...abin-crew-base

Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways set to close Toronto cabin crew base, with up to 120 jobs at risk
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
TBH I’m not surprised. The cabin crew bases overseas have never made sense to me. Can they really save that much money employing staff in countries which have higher labour costs than HK?
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

And if I recall correctly this isn't the first one to shut
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:43 pm

My friend is really upset over this. Apparently this was in the works for quite some time now. This was announced during CNY and it has ruined everything for them. Ed Higgs will be in YYZ this week to talk to the base. It should be an interesting meeting that's for sure. CX does seem to have very poor timing on these things.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I think we will still see a few more...TBH I'm surprised CX is still keeping the SIN Base...I'm guessing the labor cost would be similar to HK
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by gear down
My friend is really upset over this. Apparently this was in the works for quite some time now. This was announced during CNY and it has ruined everything for them. Ed Higgs will be in YYZ this week to talk to the base. It should be an interesting meeting that's for sure. CX does seem to have very poor timing on these things.
They announced cuts to YVR customer service agents right after new years...although they were given till July 2019 I believe.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think we will still see a few more...TBH I'm surprised CX is still keeping the SIN Base...I'm guessing the labor cost would be similar to HK
I see the North American base shutting down. There was this pension thing not too long ago right? Maybe to avoid getting sued?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

I see the North American base shutting down. There was this pension thing not too long ago right? Maybe to avoid getting sued?
Yes, LAX i believe...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think this article is saying the meeting has already taken place.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Good. I can't be the only one that prefers Asian service to North American service.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I think this article is saying the meeting has already taken place.
12~14 YYZ time
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
many of the outsourced staff is horrendous- in KIX they have gotte from bad to worse. if u have issues with luggage there isnt even a proper office to deal w these things, just a mobile workstation ie a trolley and the communal writing area. at checkin they are clueless staff who doesnt care about what status benefits there is
Isochronous likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
No sympathy if they shut the LAX/JFK base (in fact, please do it asap!!!)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:09 pm

[QUOTE=beep88;30765947]https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...abin-crew-base

Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways set to close Toronto cabin crew base, with up to 120 jobs at risk[/QUOTE

All the foreign crew bases that CX created were not making sense. I guess CX will axe N. American bases one by one. I reckoned New York base will be in danger as promotion was freezed for years and no more new recuitment.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
No sympathy if they shut the LAX/JFK base (in fact, please do it asap!!!)
its interesting to see different voices when BA cut HK base crew....

I am also happy if they use only HK crew, vast difference in service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.