Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

PYE Pajamas- Free gift coupon. But it is NOT really free!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PYE Pajamas- Free gift coupon. But it is NOT really free!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Entertaining and informative thread!

I would just like to chip in that all those that are moaning should come and live in Singapore for a while to get a taste of what it really feels like when marketing departments are taking the biscuit! Just as an example, MrsNJG got the following SMS this morning from one of her credit card providers:

"<ADV> Available till 28 Feb 2019 only! Don't miss out on your chance to usher in a year of abundance with our exclusive limited-edition 24K Gold-plated RISIS Abundance Pig Figurine with Swarovski Pearl (worth S$288)* when you deposit Fresh Funds S$138,000. Plus, get up 1.70% p.a.* interest. *Full T&Cs @ uob.com.sg/deposits. Insured up to S$50k by SDIC. Unsub: SMS UN to 77862"

Now, if that isn't a great offer I don't know what is?!

My own bank - as a "thank you" for being a loyal customer for 10 years or so - sent me a letter with a redemption voucher for a bottle of French wine, which they lauded as being excellent and exclusive, or some such BS. I looked the wine up and found out that it was very underwhelming indeed (Rated 3.3 on Vivino), and available for sale for something like SGD30 in Singapore, which is basically just above the minimum that you pay for a bottle of wine over here - and I am talking about absolute entry-level wines, nothing fancy! Add to that that in order to redeem the voucher I would have to take a taxi or Grab, the return journey costing me more than the wine is worth, AND that obviously the offer is limited "while stocks last", well, do I need to go on...? Especially considering that I charge six figures to my card every year, so...

Give me that HKD500 CX voucher anytime! ^
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by christep
Maybe we have a different understanding of the term "handkerchief"? For me they are things to blow your nose, wipe your hands, mop the sweat from your brow, or, (hopefully not too often, and obviously not when they have been used for any of the above!) offer to a lady to dab the tears from her eyes. I would expect HK$500 to give several lifetimes' supply! I still have plenty of plain white cotton ones that my grandparents gave me back in the 1970s, and they're doing the job just fine.
Ah, the fun we can have with language. I agree with you, Christep. You have described a handkerchief. That is different from (and smaller than) a kerchief, which one might call one of those Hermès silk squares one frames and hangs on the wall.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Well if I ever get to downtown I guess I won't have much trouble getting the free gift since I'm the wrong gender for their wares
Although it is too bad they don't make women's shirts as well since I still have some lovely one's I got in SIN from a french manufacturer - pricey but really good quality and have lasted a long time.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Well if I ever get to downtown I guess I won't have much trouble getting the free gift since I'm the wrong gender for their wares
Although it is too bad they don't make women's shirts as well since I still have some lovely one's I got in SIN from a french manufacturer - pricey but really good quality and have lasted a long time.
The PYE store in Central does (did?) have a small women’s line. However. I am not sure whether you can order with customisations or if only off the rack.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:10 am

If I read that right you sometimes spend HK$3000+ on a shirt???

Wow!
Yup, sometimes I will splurge on a $3,580 shirt if the fabric is to my liking.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

Yup, sometimes I will splurge on a $3,580 shirt if the fabric is to my liking.
Same here. And I don't think that I ever bought a shirt to go with my suits for less than 2,000.
BTW, I was at the Central store this morning to exchange two more coupons (one box of handkerchief) and one shirt. Their price range for readymade shirts (different quality of cotton material) goes from 1+K to 3+K. But you can also customize for 400 more to perfectly fit your body.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I have multiple certificates. A while back I showed up with 10 - and they only had 6 sets of the handkerchiefs - which I took and used as gifts. I was allowed to redeem 2 for an umbrella and 2 for a women's T shirt that was on sale for 800 HKD that I used as a gift.
Have not been in HK for a while and have accumulated quite a few of the certificates (HKG being a connecting point) . Next time I stop in HK I will email PYE in advance requesting they have enough free gifts. I give these to friends and family members and are well liked.

I wish they would have an option to combine these certificates, even for less value. Let's say - If you have 20 - let them be worth 1/2 or 250 HKD each if combined, towards anything. That way they could be word 5,000 HKD, Perhaps a shirt.
Clearly they plan the vast majority to go unclaimed. (Don't know the daily number of FC seats - but this would be a huge number of handkerchiefs if they would all be redeemed.)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by traveler18
I have multiple certificates. A while back I showed up with 10 - and they only had 6 sets of the handkerchiefs - which I took and used as gifts. I was allowed to redeem 2 for an umbrella and 2 for a women's T shirt that was on sale for 800 HKD that I used as a gift.
Have not been in HK for a while and have accumulated quite a few of the certificates (HKG being a connecting point) . Next time I stop in HK I will email PYE in advance requesting they have enough free gifts. I give these to friends and family members and are well liked.

I wish they would have an option to combine these certificates, even for less value. Let's say - If you have 20 - let them be worth 1/2 or 250 HKD each if combined, towards anything. That way they could be word 5,000 HKD, Perhaps a shirt.
Clearly they plan the vast majority to go unclaimed. (Don't know the daily number of FC seats - but this would be a huge number of handkerchiefs if they would all be redeemed.)
i thought they already are $500 towards a payment (not gift)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka

i thought they already are $500 towards a payment (not gift)
Yes - but you cannot combine certificates for the same item, e.g. you cannot use two certificates of HK 500 with a value of HK 1,000 towards an item worth more than HK 1,000
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:19 am

Love their handkerchiefs. It will be even better if hand rolled, I know I am dreaming.

Their shirts are nice as well, with their quality, I will say not expensive. You will need to pay much more for any European brands for the same quality.

p.s. CX may have the best pajamas on sky.
kaka and transparent like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjjohn
p.s. CX may have the best pajamas on sky.
Their luxury version of the CX pyjamas (sold at their store) is even nicer in quality, cut and fit.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Their luxury version of the CX pyjamas (sold at their store) is even nicer in quality, cut and fit.
Yes, the PYE pyjamas offered in CX First are made from organic cotton.

The pyjamas sold in the store are made from "premium cotton" (PYE's terms, not mine). This premium cotton is indeed quite nice.

But, do be careful of the size and fit. I take a Medium for the pyjamas offered in First, but need to buy a Large in-store.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Bit of a dying market though isn't it? With the way global warming is going (night-time temperatures in HK are 5+ degrees above the long term winter average this month) pyjamas are surely a thing of the past?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Bit of a dying market though isn't it? With the way global warming is going (night-time temperatures in HK are 5+ degrees above the long term winter average this month) pyjamas are surely a thing of the past?
Not everyone who gets/uses these lives in Hong Kong
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
As a Cathay Diamond member, one thing is puzzling me. where do you actually get these vouchers from? From the title I thought they came with the pyjamas (and I fly First only rarely, so assumed that was why I did not have any). But there seem to be more of them floating around than that....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.