Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Collecting Asia Miles/Avios On CX operated flights booked with Air China

Old Feb 9, 19, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: british airways

Hi

Iím looking to do a trip to China over Easter and have been doing some skyscanner searches and looking into flights. Thereís about 3 CX flights from HKG to Beijing a day, and Iím somewhat baffled by the ĎAir China operated by Cathay Dragoní option which is about 1k HK$ cheaper than booking directly with CX directly - so not insignificant!

Given that Air China are part of an alliance which I have never used, this is raising a couple of questions....

If we booked via Air China - can I still earn Asia miles or Avios? (I have AM via CX Amex and then my main account is BAEC - Sapphire) and would we be able to use the lounge at HKG, given my BAEC and itís a CX metal flight?
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:47 am

You can credit AM if you flight sold by CA actual metal is KA, I tried some similar routing few years before.

But I'm not sure how about Avios
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I doubt you will earn BA avios as it would need to be sold and operated by a one world carrier ( not Air China)

Not sure about lounge access ( for BA I think it would also have to be sold as a one world flight)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Lissie Spencer View Post
Hi

I’m looking to do a trip to China over Easter and have been doing some skyscanner searches and looking into flights. There’s about 3 CX flights from HKG to Beijing a day, and I’m somewhat baffled by the ‘Air China operated by Cathay Dragon’ option which is about 1k HK$ cheaper than booking directly with CX directly - so not insignificant!

Given that Air China are part of an alliance which I have never used, this is raising a couple of questions....

If we booked via Air China - can I still earn Asia miles or Avios? (I have AM via CX Amex and then my main account is BAEC - Sapphire) and would we be able to use the lounge at HKG, given my BAEC and it’s a CX metal flight?
Asia Miles yes (but no MPO), as long as the class is listed here as eligible: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...html/air-china

No BAEC / Avios, see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights, under "British Airways flights" --> "Codeshare Flights."

No lounge access, as access is only allowed when the flight is marketed + operated by a oneworld carrier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: