Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Yoga in Pier J before flying and access to Pure Fitness in HK downtown after arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yoga in Pier J before flying and access to Pure Fitness in HK downtown after arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by txflyer77
as long as you don't mind using one of the provided mats (which yes, ick, but with a shower after it'd be fine).
So you shower every time you get off a flight or a bus or a taxi or anywhere else that you've been on a surface where someone else has been previously? If so then I fear you need medical help.
Sohoboy and fairhsa like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'd love for them to put a gym somewhere especially when I know I'll be strapped to my seat (and overindulging in caviar/blablabla) for the next 16 hours. Not sure what legacies/majors have it but there is one in the AUH EY F lounge which I made very good use of during layovers there. CX certainly has the real estate to do it here in HKG...
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

As a big fan of Ilse Crawford's design, I kind of feel this is just kind of ridiculous. It looks like an ill-thought out, quick mash of two things that don't belong together. The splash of blue and the added furniture, and even the function just doesn't fit the feel of The Pier. Would have worked better with the design at the Wing or the Cabin (have they not closed it). Even the titles Sanctuary by *PURE* (emphasis mine) just doesn't work in my opinion.

Design apart, I still feel that a dedicated yoga room is rather unneeded, and the additional seating space from the old Bureau was more useful. In spite of that, I agree with the sentiments above that a gym (that is designed to fit the rest of The Pier J) would be a lot more useful and appreciated.
Alawyer, flubber, lkrt and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Instead of the yoga room, wish CX actually installed nap rooms with beds, something similar to TK's IST lounge
royng likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:09 pm

I bet that's going to wind Pure's members up no end. Pay $1,000+ per month and now they're going to have god knows how many CX passengers getting their freebie gym session after every flight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
I have 10+hr layover coming up and will most likely be at Pier anyway. I think I might give it a try. It's an interesting change. (I sat more often than not in that IT room, by the way. Because 1. I could talk on phone without being a nuisance 2. it was always empty and each sitting location had a plug.)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
For those of us without the benefit of The Pier access, is there somewhere to stretch between flights? I'm probably going to Premium Plaza and would like to do some Pilates stretches. I'd do them in the shower (don't need to be on the floor to do these ones) but they sometimes get a bit funny if you've been in there for over 30 mins and it's busy!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
For those of us without the benefit of The Pier access, is there somewhere to stretch between flights? I'm probably going to Premium Plaza and would like to do some Pilates stretches. I'd do them in the shower (don't need to be on the floor to do these ones) but they sometimes get a bit funny if you've been in there for over 30 mins and it's busy!
At the far end of the airport there are kind of corridors between the windows and the backs of the shops that hardly anyone ever goes down. In HK it's not that unusual to see people doing weird stretches and exercises, i wouldn't worry about being seen.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
So you shower every time you get off a flight or a bus or a taxi or anywhere else that you've been on a surface where someone else has been previously? If so then I fear you need medical help.
i dont think people sweat as much taking a taxi than yoga
flubber and Gongzuokuang like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Plenty of people get into taxis straight from hikes/gym/yoga. That taxi is 10+ years old and the seats have never been cleaned!
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I reckon the mats will be cleaned regularly, and at a minimum there will be some type of alcohol sanitizer in there to wipe the mat down before/after use. Agree the idea of yoga sweating sounds....likely, but it's also true so many public spaces are absolutely disgusting and we just don't think about it on a daily basis. With cleaning staff on hand and I'm sure an awareness of the issue, I have to imagine it will be "okay" from a cleanliness point of view.

Count me as optimistic overall.It's at least unique and interrsting, despite getting somewhat panned above.

I'm not sure if I'll use it, but I don't think I ever used The Bureau in any of their lounges but for once or twice. I have my own computer - doesn't everybody? - can work in the main lounge space too, and it wasn't a private space anyway, which is what I really would like for phone calls. I can't conduct private business in The Bureau or frankly anywhere in the lounge! Ironically the best place for private phone calls remains outside in the main airport commons area, near a gate not servicing a flight at the moment. Just saying at least for me, I got no value from The Bureau including in the F lounge, so I'll wait and see how this goes. Bureau is a nice idea in theory but I just haven't found how to get it to work for me.

Now if they could somehow setup sound proof phone booth things for private work..that I would use!
kaka, HaikalS and beach86 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by 1010101
At the far end of the airport there are kind of corridors between the windows and the backs of the shops that hardly anyone ever goes down. In HK it's not that unusual to see people doing weird stretches and exercises, i wouldn't worry about being seen.
Are these corridors behind the shops on the way to the gates, or do you mean the ones by some of the food shops. I know the area between the Premium Plaza lounge and it's showers doesn't see many people going past. Some other lounges there from memory.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
What kind of champagne will be served?
HAHAHAHA - priorities!!!
Alawyer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I would rather they put in couple of good treadmills... etc to make it a small gym.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:40 pm

Thank god they're not touching the nap area at the far opposite end - I find that area very useful to take 40 winks in (or just curl up with a blanket and watch movies over headphones).
royng and Sozee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.