Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reserving seats - travelling together on separate booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Later in the year, my family and I are doing a Hong Kong/Singapore trip. I am travelling to HK early, and my wife and kids are following a week later. Then for the rest of the itinerary we are travelling together. So we'll be on separate bookings but travelling together for all but the first flight.

All our bookings will be in economy but they'll probably be on a saver fare, which require payment of a fee to reserve seats. I have MPO Gold, which means if we were on the same booking, I could reserve everyone's seats for free.

So my question is, if I call and tell Cathay that we are travelling together on those flights, point out that I am MPO Gold, and ask nicely, will I be allowed to reserve seats for everyone together for free? I assume since we are on separate bookings, they won't allow that? Do they ever bend the rules on this?

Failing that, if they have to pay for reserved seats, will Cathay at least allow travelling companions on separate bookings to sit together?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:23 pm

If both are in the same flight, you can reserve the seat for them by calling Marco Polo Club hotline. I did this last year even I was just Sliver, but I am not sure the rule as of now.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Later in the year, my family and I are doing a Hong Kong/Singapore trip. I am travelling to HK early, and my wife and kids are following a week later. Then for the rest of the itinerary we are travelling together. So we'll be on separate bookings but travelling together for all but the first flight.

All our bookings will be in economy but they'll probably be on a saver fare, which require payment of a fee to reserve seats. I have MPO Gold, which means if we were on the same booking, I could reserve everyone's seats for free.

So my question is, if I call and tell Cathay that we are travelling together on those flights, point out that I am MPO Gold, and ask nicely, will I be allowed to reserve seats for everyone together for free? I assume since we are on separate bookings, they won't allow that? Do they ever bend the rules on this?
noone can stop you from asking but its granted in a case to case basis. being cx gold definately puts u on better chances than qr ruby.

Failing that, if they have to pay for reserved seats, will Cathay at least allow travelling companions on separate bookings to sit together?
if u pay then u can pick!?!?!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
if u pay then u can pick!?!?!
Yeah they recently introduced paid seat selection for economy saver. Not sure how much it costs though. I know Qantas charges A$30 per person per flight, and with a family on a multicity itinerary it really adds up.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Yeah they recently introduced paid seat selection for economy saver. Not sure how much it costs though. I know Qantas charges A$30 per person per flight, and with a family on a multicity itinerary it really adds up.
how old are ur kids
cxisnt going to leave ur kids by themselves like ryanair.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think kaka's point was that your question: "Failing that, if they have to pay for reserved seats, will Cathay at least allow travelling companions on separate bookings to sit together?"

is answered by paying for a seat - if you pay for a seat, then you can "guarantee" where people will sit.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver
My experience as SL, the flight flies together (on different booking) can reserve seat by calling CX/MPO, but not the other fragment(s).
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by cyster2007
If both are in the same flight, you can reserve the seat for them by calling Marco Polo Club hotline. I did this last year even I was just Sliver, but I am not sure the rule as of now.
Originally Posted by Ad Hoc David
My experience as SL, the flight flies together (on different booking) can reserve seat by calling CX/MPO, but not the other fragment(s).
That was the case - as long as the other passengers are on the same FLIGHT. They changed that to on the same BOOKING recently.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
I highly recommend you use twitter to DM @CathayPacific, as a AA OWE, they have done everything I've ask for as far as seat assignments for myself and non status others on separate tickets. They are very fast to respond. Very impressed! I'm sure you would get the same treatment as MPO Gold
royng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.