Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is CX trying to oversell my flight in PEY?

Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat

so my flight (CX884) on 1/26 went to W0 R0 E0 and 2 seats open on the seat map... It then opened up to W1 R0 E0 (still only 2 open seats)... then yesterday it went to W2 R1 E0, now today it went to W2 R2 E1 and just checking now it is W5 R4 E4. This whole time the cabin has been full except for 2 seats. Thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Maybe the seats were just blocked and not actually reserved.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi
Maybe the seats were just blocked and not actually reserved.
Also thought that but the CX and EF seatmap aligned... EF now shows the 2 empties as blocked, who knows, was just curious how an oversell happens. Most importantly my shot at an op-up
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kar don
Also thought that but the CX and EF seatmap aligned... EF now shows the 2 empties as blocked, who knows, was just curious how an oversell happens. Most importantly my shot at an op-up
what is your status? DM or Gold?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Seat maps are not a good indicator of how full a flight will be.

If anything, either CX is overselling your flight (and moving people to J), or there are people who cancelled their flights.

R
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
so my flight (CX884) on 1/26 went to W0 R0 E0 and 2 seats open on the seat map... It then opened up to W1 R0 E0 (still only 2 open seats)... then yesterday it went to W2 R1 E0, now today it went to W2 R2 E1 and just checking now it is W5 R4 E4. This whole time the cabin has been full except for 2 seats. Thoughts?
I did that flight yesterday and PEY was 100% full. J was probably 75% full. Staff at the Wing said there wouldn't be any upgrades. I had just taken CX748 from JNB and PEY only had one seat open (luckily next to me) and J was only about 25% full.The entire second cabin was empty. Again no upgrades were given and they turned down my offer to purchase one and I'm an AA EXP.

If you want to fly in J, buy it.
kar don likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
I did that flight yesterday and PEY was 100% full. J was probably 75% full. Staff at the Wing said there wouldn't be any upgrades. I had just taken CX748 from JNB and PEY only had one seat open (luckily next to me) and J was only about 25% full.The entire second cabin was empty. Again no upgrades were given and they turned down my offer to purchase one and I'm an AA EXP.

If you want to fly in J, buy it.
As AA EXP, I've never been moved to J from PE and have flown on a few flights with PE being completely full. As an OWE, there probably needs to be an oversell at Y AND PEY to have a significantly good chance at being moved up to J because they'll probably move up Diamonds and maybe Golds first.
clubeurope, kar don and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by triplefives
As AA EXP, I've never been moved to J from PE and have flown on a few flights with PE being completely full. As an OWE, there probably needs to be an oversell at Y AND PEY to have a significantly good chance at being moved up to J because they'll probably move up Diamonds and maybe Golds first.
op wants to use miles.
i think his chances should be ok.

ps: OP are ur flights flexible ie can u fly the 4pm flight
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
I believe that now, but reading several threads about CX PEY, multiple people claimed they were "almost always" upgraded as non-CX OWEs.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

op wants to use miles.
i think his chances should be ok.

ps: OP are ur flights flexible ie can u fly the 4pm flight
What makes you say that? His profile says AA plat. Can't use AA miles to fly CX PEY.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
In my experience, yes, they're trying to oversell PEY. Good candidate for op-up if you have status.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
How about JCDI availabilities? That is a good indication of whether they are selling J as W.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
What makes you say that? His profile says AA plat. Can't use AA miles to fly CX PEY.
because i read his other post and he said he would pay up for r class so that he can get upgraded w miles perhaps?
asiamiles has partners/promos/card in NA.

and having one status doesnt automatically mean someone doesnt have other miles i guess? my status isnt with cx but i have more asiamiles than the airline where i have status
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I don't think CX oversells PEY a lot. They do however oversell Y quite a lot, especially to mainland group bookings.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Yes I have AA status and have Asia miles due to AMEX credit card points transfers. I paid up for R fare and used asia miles to upgrade. I have a feeling there will be a lot of OWE's and marco polo members in premium economy on this route that would be upgraded over me. On CX885 (my outbound) there was a lot of OWE's in PEY and it was full yet lot of J went out empty.

Being very tall I didn't want to bank on an op-up with only OWS status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.