Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

19h Layover in HKG - check bag through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

I am arriving into HKG at 7am and fly out at 2am the following day, both on CX in J.

Will I be able to check my bag through and refresh in the Lounge or do I have to pick it up and won't be able to re-enter with my next day boarding pass? Or will I be turned away at the lounge for the same reason?

If I have to pick up m bag, how soon will I be able to re-check my bag? I'm a oneworld emerald if that matters.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
where are you going to, from where?

normally you can check your bag through. If it is not allowed, you may go to transfer desk and get the staff to retag your bags to your destination.

If you want to refresh in the lounge you may do so, but if you want to go back into town you may want to let lounge staff know in advance otherwise you will have a some 30-120 min wait - the lounge staff would bring you to immigration hall and you may "enter" Hong Kong for a few hours.

There are no laws/rule as such for airport security to stop you from entering airside the whole operation day (from ard 5.30am, before your arrival) for a flight before 4.30am+1). some of them may make their own rule but all you need to do is to find someone else.

If you have to pick up your bag, you may check in right away. checkin is open the whole operational day since 5.30am. unless you're flying to USA or india then they have some weird timeframe for checking in.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Are you arriving at Hong Kong by a OW flight? I have checked my bags all the way through on different OW flights (different tickets) before. That might work for you. Especially if you don't want to go out just to collect and recheck bags.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The OP states that both flights are on CX.
I think that you have no problem checking the bags through even on separate tickets. You are basically transitting on the same day.

I would not look forward to spending 19h at the airport. But beware that HK separates departing and arriving passengers and there is no arrival lounge anymore. If you wish to exit the airport, you cannot access the departure lounge before that. it used to be fairly easy to get out the sterile area from the departing level, but it is not anymore. It will be a long hassle to do it.
An alternative is to use the public showers before immigration, go into the city and get back to the airport before midnight.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
The OP states that both flights are on CX..
Sorry, missed that. Just check your bags all the way through and not worry about it. Makes life a lot easy.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

I think that you have no problem checking the bags through even on separate tickets. You are basically transitting on the same day.

I would not look forward to spending 19h at the airport. But beware that HK separates departing and arriving passengers and there is no arrival lounge anymore. If you wish to exit the airport, you cannot access the departure lounge before that. it used to be fairly easy to get out the sterile area from the departing level, but it is not anymore. It will be a long hassle to do it.
An alternative is to use the public showers before immigration, go into the city and get back to the airport before midnight.
Thanks, I guess my memory from transiting in HKG is a bit hazy. So I would have to clear immigration and enter the departure area from scratch?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by WGTN
Thanks, I guess my memory from transiting in HKG is a bit hazy. So I would have to clear immigration and enter the departure area from scratch?
Not really
You have two options:
1) go through the transfer checkpoints to clear security and enter the departure level. Then you can go to the lounge and spend 19 hours there. But exiting the departure level to get to Hong Kong is now a big hassle. And spending 19h in the airport is not a prospect that I would favor.
2) exit from the arrival level by clearing immigration. Then go in Hong Kong somewhere. When you return, you clear security and immigration. You could leave your hand luggage at the storage facility land side.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

i would clear transit security and use the lounges for 2-3 hours before heading to town at ard 10 or 11am, especially CX shut the arrivals lounge.
the dragons will not be very happy but they will eventually organize someone for the OP to go back to the arrivals level - this would take some time between 30-60 mins in my experience but i read someone here took longer. this is part of their job.

spend some 10-12 hours in the city and head back after an early dinner (or if you dont feel like it, come back to the lounge for dinner)
WGTN likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Yep, that's my plan. Any experience on accessing the lounge with a next day (2am) boarding pass?
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No problem - the "day" as far as CX is concerned is until the last flight at 2am or so.
kaka and WGTN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.