Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Qantas and Cathay relationship starts to thaw - application to put CX code on QF

Qantas and Cathay relationship starts to thaw - application to put CX code on QF

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

There is an application to extend the code sharing agreement between CX and QF so that CX can sell more QF flights on their flights to HKG. But this would mean CX selling seats on routes they currently compete on.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a JV type situation meaning that they can coordinate pricing and schedules and hence increase prices on HKG to Australia:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...23-p50t4y.html
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by sxc
There is an application to extend the code sharing agreement between CX and QF so that CX can sell more QF flights on their flights to HKG. But this would mean CX selling seats on routes they currently compete on.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a JV type situation meaning that they can coordinate pricing and schedules and hence increase prices on HKG to Australia:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...23-p50t4y.html
Presumably a JV would never be approved given their market share between HKG/AU however, given the dire performance of Australian regulators generally - captured by those whom they are supposed to be regulating - you never really know!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Disappointing news for supporters for CX to exit from oneworld...
kaka, Isochronous and tobiashenry like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Disappointing news for supporters for CX to exit from oneworld...
and for those who thinks cz would join in Jan 2019
roy2016 likes this.

Last edited by kaka; Jan 24, 2019 at 2:07 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Some form of corporation for these OW partners finally
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Why would CX want to be able to sell CX-coded seats on QF29/30, 127/128, 117/118, 97/98 yo MEL/SYD/BNE? Are they that desperate to get around the 70 flight cap?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
and for those who thinks MU would join in Jan 2019
MU is a Skyteam, I bet you mean CZ?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WilliamSudarpo
MU is a Skyteam, I bet you mean CZ?
ure right. my bad.

both of them are equally bad so i got mixed up
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by kaka

and for those who thinks cz would join in Jan 2019
Not saying that I think CZ would join that soon, but the CX/QF code-share agreement does not cover any route between HKG and Mainland China, so it seems to have nothing to do with the QF/CZ code-share agreement.
kaka and FlyerTalker688786 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
SCMP today gives basically the same information:
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...tralias-qantas

The article is very short on detailsand I assume that QF will get to codeshare further CX/KA routes in Asia and China.

The deal is very sad news for HK pax. QF was really competing for HK pax on the MEL/SYD/BNE. They sell J tickets at a huge discount from CX fares.

This will be the end of those lower fare as QF/CX control 90% of the market. Hard to believe that HK/Australian regulator would allow that, but past experience would suggest ....
Look at the IASC website:
https://iasc.gov.au/applications/

It is amazing that the IASC asked for submission from Virgin Australia and ACCC (Australia Competition and Consumer Commission) without providing them with any details of CX/QF request beyond "a variation of codeshare agreement". All details are submitted in a confidential document that was not communicated to Virgin or the ACCC. Unbelievable!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC - MARCO POLO CLUB
anyone know when’s the next round of ASA talks between AUS and HKG?

i believe CX’s move to get close with QF is to better schedule their flights evenly throughout the day, and leave the ...... slots for Hong Kong Airlines, as CX will not put KA for bidding the slot?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by krisflyer
anyone know when’s the next round of ASA talks between AUS and HKG?

i believe CX’s move to get close with QF is to better schedule their flights evenly throughout the day, and leave the ...... slots for Hong Kong Airlines, as CX will not put KA for bidding the slot?
DOn't know for the talks.

But I don't buy your argument.
CX currently has good time slots for MEL/SYD. QF departs at almost the same time as one of their flights.
But until we know (if we do) what kind of arrangement they have (full/partial revenue sharing, blocked seats,...), it is hard to say much.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Some further information here:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...petiti-455655/

It says that the codeshare only applies for through tickets to non-HKG destinations, not the purely HKG-Australia routes. But it doesn't seem to make sense. It seems that QF wants to make use of the CX network to fly to CX destinations such as India. So it sounds to me that this is more QF putting their code on CX metal, rather than the other way around.

CX putting their code on QF metal wouldn't create a through connection unless CX wants to sell itineraries such as HKG-SYD-CBR
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I was surprised to discover recently that HKG-RGN has a QF code on it!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: QF WP, VA
Originally Posted by sxc
It says that the codeshare only applies for through tickets to non-HKG destinations, not the purely HKG-Australia routes. But it doesn't seem to make sense. It seems that QF wants to make use of the CX network to fly to CX destinations such as India. So it sounds to me that this is more QF putting their code on CX metal, rather than the other way around.

CX putting their code on QF metal wouldn't create a through connection unless CX wants to sell itineraries such as HKG-SYD-CBR
Yes, on the surface it looks purely one sided, similar questions were asked about the QF-EK partnership, as what will EK benefit apart from putting their code onto flights to Aus secondary cities. Perhaps like EK, CX will benefit from QF sending their passengers to CX's South and SE Asian flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.